Help with my new Mark III - think I got shafted

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
exbest182 said:
I'm contacting the seller now, I got it for $610 with shipping included... not too terrible... I talked to Mike B the other day, and he said he'd do the mod for $200, which I'm stoked about it.. and I'm hoping to get a new short shell for it, and then it'll be brand new.. was just hoping to play with it a tad before sending it to Mike B... thanks for the tips though, i'll go try it out.. there was a 12ax7 that had came out during shipping and had the pins bent on it when it got here... I got them straightened out though and got it back in.... maybe that's it.. who knows...

Was this the one from the guy in DC? That's close to me and I wanted to see it, but he said only if I won it, which of course I did not.

Wow, he would only let you see if you won it? That sounds like the seller was hiding something.

scott

johnpace2 said:
Was this the one from the guy in DC? That's close to me and I wanted to see it, but he said only if I won it, which of course I did not.

It was actually... I asked him about playability prior to bidding on it and he told me there were no issues.. just not that greatest cosmetic shape... I could fight and fuss about it, but I'm just going to fix it up and get a good amp out of it, it's in decent shape and I'm sure that with a little tune up she'll be a beast.

U might consider taking it up with Papyal, if they were involved.
Along the lines of "it is clearly not performing as was both advertised, and explained on questioning".
I'd even consider saying it's gonna cost me "x" (insert truthful estimate), and that's what I'm seeking to be refunded, and they'll baulk at this and so settle somewhere "reasonable".
It's your money, after all..
FWIW, in general I've found PP and fleabay to be pretty lame on disputes - they seem to want nice and fluffy all the time, where every sale is a fairytale, saccharine-coated experience, but in the real world it's a little different.
End of rant..LOL

I disputed it with ebay, I don't know if I need to file with paypal as well... basically asking for the cost to get the head repaired to be refunded... not expecting that to happen, but at least it's on record and may get me something back to help with the costs.

is the seller insisting that it was perfect when it was sold? has the seller contacted you? yeah maybe contact paypal too, see if they can get some money back

scott

I would pursue getting the repair costs refunded. If you don't get anything out of it I wouldn't worry much because of the smoking deal you got on it in the first place.

the sellers listing said no playability issues, just cosmetic... and he did inform me that the tubes were a tad on the old side... but having crackling/popping while adjusting knobs, volume cutting out while using presence or volume knobs, not being able to even switch into R2, which it did temporarily after reseating the tubes, however has since gone back to just being able to run clean... none of the above was mentioned.. the tubes weren't even mentioned until after the sale was done and it was in processed of being shipped.

i'm not even really that mad about it, i just think it's shady that he didn't even mention this stuff in his listing.. but like a bunch of you have said.. still got a good deal on it, even in the condition it's in... but would have been nice to have known in advance..

PS. got my new boogie plate for the front arriving today from mesa hollywood... let the rebuilding begin.

zodiac272 said:
Wow, he would only let you see if you won it? That sounds like the seller was hiding something.

scott

Yeah, I didn't think much of it at the time though. Sucks that the amp isn't working properly. I would get back to the seller and get some $ to fix.

exbest182 said:
the sellers listing said no playability issues, just cosmetic... and he did inform me that the tubes were a tad on the old side... but having crackling/popping while adjusting knobs, volume cutting out while using presence or volume knobs, not being able to even switch into R2, which it did temporarily after reseating the tubes, however has since gone back to just being able to run clean... none of the was mentioned.. the tubes weren't even mentioned until after the sale was done and it was in processed of being shipped.

i'm not even really that mad about it, i just think it's shady that he didn't even mention this stuff in his listing.. but like a bunch of you have said.. still got a good deal on it, even in the condition it's in... but would have been nice to have known in advance..

PS. got my new boogie plate for the front arriving today from mesa hollywood... let the rebuilding begin.

My feeling is that who cares if you got a good deal? He advertized a fully working amp, not one you have to sink $200 into!

We can't let shady people get away with lying to buyers. what if this was a $2500 amp that needed $300 or $400 to fix... Still not a bad deal, but if the seller was truthful, he may have only got 450 or $500 for a 2 channel working 3 channel amp with spotty tubes. An auction on a perfect working amp is quite a bit different from an auction of a partially functioning amp. If you know it's not working and don't know why it's not working the bids are lower to account for the risk. If the buyers know in advance, maybe they would wait for an amp that just came back from meas factory with papers to show it. I see this more and more often. DaveP just sold a simul blue stripe for $850 or so? it was rackmounted, but it had been serviced at mesa factory by mike b.
I've been where this buyer has been, twice with 2 IIC's (i know boo hoo) but I was sending them to mesa no matter what for + upgrade. still, I'd rather have the extra $100 each back in my pocket. after all, I'm happy, got smoking deals too. My seller never responded to me when I emailed to say it wasn't working.

After the smoke clears exbest182 will be thrilled too.

scott

Def with Johnpace and Zodiac on this.
BUT, for me, it's more about the principle.
It was advertised and then commented that it's "OK", so as a genuine seller there's an obligation to actually check that is true, or rectify it if found not true.
Whether it' was a good deal or not is not the point. And whether it's an easly fix or not, is still not the point.
U metaphorically purchased an "orange" and got an "apricot". I'm no green-grocer but I reckon there's a difference.

the exact description from ebay listing is as followed

''Gently used Mark III head by Mesa Boogie Amplification.

Serial # 19542.

Graphic E.Q., No Simul-class and no reverb. I believe it is 60 watts which in boogie terms is insanely loud. It doesn't need it though, this can get pure 80's thrash tones, so who needs reverb?

Effects Loop, Direct out for recording, No footswitch but inputs for EQ-REV/RHYTHM 2.

Used in various bed room studios and basements, well kept, I'll change the power tubes before you take it.

It is in aesthetically good condition, a few dings and rusty spots as it is over ten years old.''

That's the whole description.. nowhere anywhere does it say anything about the issues I'm having, on top of it the power tubes were not changed out like the listing mentioned as well... I agree with everybody, it's about the principle...

ebay giving him until 4/1 to work things out with me, he hasn't responded to any of my emails since I mentioned my issues.. so I imagine it's going to be a minute before any of this gets resolved.

Yeah, the seller wasn't ignorant, he was deceitful. Bait and switch with the tubes? that's total BS on the seller's part. so that's $42 you want back off the top. I didn't realize mark III have a direct recording out like the mark IV. You should try to get $100 back from this guy. Everyone can make mistakes, but He flat out lied. Did you open up a case with ebay and paypal? You can go to customer service in ebay and start a claim and do the same with paypal.
I'm sure the money won't kill you, It's the principle of it. If you don't mind, what's the seller's ebay handle. make sure i don't buy from him.
once you get your amp back from mesa, all this stress will evaporate...

scott

hmm there is still some possibility that the seller really did not know about these issues if these were caused while the head was being transported.. I would definitely not say that these things are built like tanks and there is so many things that can get loosen or break during shipment.. i am definitely not trying to defend that other guy, only he knows how it really is..
the fact is that its his word against yours. i suppose ebay wont help you much with this as it is an item which is old/used and they have no ways to prove that the item was faulty at the time he sold it..
nevertheless, he should be responding to your emails if you question him with the state of this amp.. old/used amps are really a huge risk, if i were a millionaire i wouldn't bother buying old ones..

Yeah, there is a distinct difference between saying "Gently used" and "doesn't work properly".

Like, my amp sees ultra heavy use on a weekly basis, thousands of hours, plus shows and touring which I would tell if I was selling, but at least it functions like the monster champ it is. I sure wouldn't say it was "gently used". That's bull@#&.

+1 on K-Roll. Making a functioning video before packaging always helps, just to show its not broken. Kinda like taking pictures of guitars to show there isn't broken headstocks, etc. The whole his word against yours thing kinda sucks. The bane of evilbay.

Got a response from my case today from ebay, seller has offered a $250 refund... good enough for me, should pay for shipping/getting the issues fixed.

He wasn't responding, so I sent him an e-mail saying I'll just send the amp back and get my whole $610 back, and then I got a pretty quick response... that being said I'm happy with the resolution.

Yeah, anything can happen during shipping. Nothing was mentioned about the packing job or if the box had signs of being crushed or dropped. plus the ad really doesn't say that it's in perfect working condition, nor does it say that it's not. I think from the ad I would have asked some questions. I know I was biased more to the buyer but after reading the seller wouldn't allow a local to check it out in person, and failed to put new tubes... i feel that speaks to the character of the seller. he did redeem himself by offering a big chunk of money back, so I'll give him credit there. He took care of the situation, when he could have just argued his side.

i could be wrong, and we will see more if exbest82 keeps us updated after it's serviced.

scott

I'll keep everybody updated, as of now leaning against the c+ mod, so looking just to have it serviced and cleaned up... then its new tubes, so I'm open for suggestions on there.. I need a real tight attack with clarity... which is kind of why I've been considering the c+ mod.. opinions?

btw, you guys rock with all the feedback - I first came to these forums just looking for a good buy on an amp back in October, and got my Mark V from here, I hope I can be a boogie guru like you guys are one day :D

When considering the III+ mod, here are the 2 threads to read over if you haven't. The topic is pretty well discussed on exactly what the mod is and how it affects the tone.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=44639

and

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27879

Back