help with a dual rectifier 3 channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dropped_2_c

Reaction score
I haven't been on here in a few years so i had to make a new account. nevertheless I currently have jj6l6GC's in the power section a ruby 12ax7c( i did have a tung-sol but i didn't like it it just had a quality that made me feel like the gain was not as heavy or alive) v2 a jj high gain, in v3 v4v5 chinese 9th gen including the matched pi tube.

Now i also have 5 mesa labeled 12ax7r's and a GT 12ax7r.

THE PROBLEM, i feel the amp is Dark sounding( I am blaming the jj's on this one) I use a vin 30 cab, a vin 30 and cl80 x pattern cab as well. i just dislike the dark not bright sound, i can dial the treble on ten and presence and compared to other amps it still sounds really dark and mids are at noon as well. i don't run the treb and pres. on 10 just making a note of what i have done to find the problem.

I play ozzy and death metal so i am wanting it to be tight but yet gainy and cut still bright sounding. think cannibal corpse but thick, ozzy etc

I have thought about pulling out the jj power tubes and putting in =C='s 6l6 and replacing maybe v2( the jj) and maybe v1 what can get me to the earth shattering high gain realm of massive but yet killer tone. i am lost here just looking for suggestions the 12ax7's ( boogie) i took out were used maybe an hour or 2 before i got the tubes from Doug's TUbes last year

I would try different speakers. V30's can be a dark speaker. I would also pitch the JJ 12ax7's if you want to brighten things up. You are definitely on the right path with the 12AX7C. Those are bright. I also find EH's to be bright too. The problem I find is that the brighter tubes tend to go microphonic faster. This might just be my experience. Try a GT SAG tube. They are typically higher gain and further screened. The GT tube though more expensive is at least screened. EH's typically are not. Ruby Tubes aren't my favorite screened tubes. I have had some good and bad experiences with Ruby.

As far as what you want for tone is concerned, the different makes of 12ax7 types whether 12ax7, ecc83, ecc803, (the list goes on) from different manufacturers will really differ. Usually tone and gain are a balance. It is rare to find a high gain tube with good tone. As far as I am concerned that more or less stopped in the 60's. Again you can get a tube screened for high gain by people like GT or even Doug or Bob. I just like the convenience of GT's being just about everywhere so you can have htem in hand same day instead of having to wait for them to be shipped.

so what about popping in some stock mesa 12ax7r's they're new i only used them for a hr or 2 when i got the amp.

Why not? You have them already and you might like it.

to be honest, I'm not too crazy about the Tung Sol either.....I'm gonna get my mileage out of it, but I don't think I'll be going back to it.

What cab are you using? I'm swapping over from an Oversized to traditional mesa 4x12, and I find it really helps to raise the amps low presence.

Alright guys,Ive found the same thing out today,last night I was jammin full throttle with the band with my dual 3 channle and a 1x12" theile cad with c 90 speaker,The tone was the best I have heard a 3channel sounding(not boasting) but it was as I found today 50% to the c90

I was recording today with the band,layin down the guitars and I used the 2x12" recto in stereo,the vintage 30's sounded real crap compared to last nights jam with the band,I may have been that they havent really been broken in but the c90 had more gain and high end and what a recto sounds like to me but the vintage 30's sounded way bad,Im gonna change the 2 30's with c90's when Ive got the cash,Its gonna sound fab.

Im using stock mesa 6l6's in the power sec. and mesa 12ax7's in the preamp

The only other thing I may but this week for her is a tubescreamer,any suggestions which one I should go for,ts9 or ts808 reissue or a moded one from say keeley or maxxon,opps sorry for hijackin your thread 2_c

I'll thread this :)

dropped_2_c said:
i am using a diezel cab with 2 vin 30's and 2 cl80's in a x pattern
:shock: Nice! I saw a band called Flyleaf the other week and both of their guitarists had a quad of Diezel 4x12's

-AJH

i dig the diezel cab it is very close sounding and build quality to a cae cab or bogner cab. i thought i loved the uberkab but the diezel cab IMO blows the doors off of it i think it is the speaker combo i hate g12t-75's. but a stock boogie cab with v30's sounds pretty good as well. i am looking for a 4 x12 with the mc90's to try. i wonder if it will sound as good if not better

Latest posts

Back