HELP Tube Question for My 50/50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarman52

Reaction score
Earlier in the day I was Playing and I had this Awful noise coming from my speakers..so
I wasn't sure what it was although I had an idea.... so I reached behind my rack and gently and I do mean gently started tapping the tubes with my index finger to see if the noise changed..well.... when I got to the 6L6's in the back of the 50/50 and tapped them.... it was like the 4th of July.... and the noise got loud and then......... my amp went real soft...
SO here is where I need some assistance.. we now know that the problem was somewhere in the power amp hopefully it was only the sign of a bad tube(tubes)..... but I am not an expert in this area and haven't a clue...... I did replace the Power Amp Tubes a few years ago.... I don't push the amp in fact this is the model that has the Power Switch on the Front and since I purchased it back in the early 90's , it has never been on the High side..... and I only run my volume settings at around 3-4.... a few times I did push it to about 6 just to see what it would sound like..... LOUD.... but I have never need it to be that loud.... most of the time when I play out we run a full sound system and everything get Miked........Ok... here is my question I guess..... I have a couple spare 6L6's what I am thinking about trying is pulling ALL the tubes, and try one channel at a time...BUT... first I want to make sure it is OK to run the amp with only 2 tubes in it.....2nd..... in what order are the tubes in the back of this power amp..... is Channel A the First 2 Tubes Closest to the Output Jacks....or near the Fan..... OR..... do the Tubes Run.... The TWO Outside.... The TWO inside..... what I need to know is how are the Channels Setup to run Through The Tubes.....

Ok, I hope I have asked the right questions.... but if anyone on the forum can offer any help/suggestions...... would greatly appreciate it....

Thanks

George

Got your answer here :
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30957
No pb about running your amp with only 2 tubes, it will raise the voltages a bit but not in a critical way for the tubes.

THANK YOU......
I really do appreciate your time in posting a reply and the great information
after I did the post last nite... I did an internet search trying to find information and a schematic for the amp... I did come across one..but it wasn't much help....
So I am so Glad I have this Forum.....

Thanks Again To Everyone Here..

George

We will get back and post later when we have a chance to do
some Tube Swapping...... :|

Ok so we swapped out the power tubes.... and there was still no noticeable gain in the volume

so I gave Mesa Tech a Call and they suggested I replace ALL the tubes including the 3 on the inside.....
This is our next move..... stay tuned...... more to follow....

If the noise come when you tap the power tubes, it could be a good idea to change the sockets too, the can be corroded, loosy or even broken.

Back