Help please with Ch.3 Mk IIC+ mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babow2

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am hoping for some help with the MkIIC+ mode in Channel 3. It just sounds "honke-y" and kind of nasal to me, no matter how I set it. I have dialed in Ch 1 and can get plenty of great tones out of Ch. 2, and can nail the Mk IV mode in Channel 3.

What I am trying to get is a great lead tone out of the MkIIC+ mode, as close to the Ch2/MkI lead tone. I want a richer, thicker more "organic" lead tone than the very focused MkIV. I love the MkI lead tone in Ch 2, but want Crunch for rhythm. I have tried 90 and 45 watts, tube and diode rectifiers, bold/not bold, variac and full power. I tend to prefer 45 watts, tube, not bold and variac for basic starters. I tend to set gain in the 1-2 o'clock range, and tend to use the "preset" EQ dial, set between 10 and 12 o'clock. However, no matter where I set the controls on this mode, it just sounds nasal and "quack"-y to me compared to all the other modes on all channels.

So, I would appreciate any specific setting suggestions for rounding out, balancing the frequencies in MkIIC+ to reduce the nasalness. I am not a novice- having owned Mark IIB, Mark IV, Heartbreaker, Road King, Rectoverb, Lonestars for 20+ years. I never owned a MkIIC+, and wonder if that nasalness is inherent in the design.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brent

Using the sliders????
IIC+ sounds more 'nasal' than IV and Extreme modes

Thanks for confirming I'm not insane at least, for hearing the "nasal" variation. As to sliders, no. As I said in my post, I am using the preset EQ knob, usually in the 10-12 o'clock range as I play around with it. I have been using the sliders for Ch.1, to adjust for different guitars I use for clean work.

Thanks,
Brent

Rkorn said:
Using the sliders????
IIC+ sounds more 'nasal' than IV and Extreme modes

The IIC+ "mode" of the Mark V may sound a bit more nasal because of the lack of lows that were designed into the IIC+ "mode". It has to do with the coupling capacitor at the GEQ. I can assure you that an original DRG Mark IIC+ does not sound like a Mark IV(lead channel) or the Mark IV "mode" of the Mark V. The fully loaded, 105 power transformer C+ has a more open and raw sound in the highs with all the bass found in the Mark IV mode of the Mark V and the punch of the Extreme mode. Keep in mind that I am not trying to sell you an amplifier, and all this is just my opinion, so there you have it. 8)

If you didn't see this post, have a look. It was a fun day with the(at the time) "new" Mark series Boogie. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37701&hilit=shootout

Latest posts

Back