Help Please! Mark I Reissue Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njmusicman

Reaction score
Hey gang, new here. Would appreciate any feedback and help, as I'm not super technical. Just bought a nice used Mark I reissue combo, wood and wicker. Anyways, Channel 2 is earth shattering loud like you would expect from a Boogie, Channel 1 barely has any volume coming from it. Any ideas on what's wrong? thx again

A few of the tubes had come loose from the shipping, working fine now, incredibly loud amp!. I might put a vintage Altec 417 8H Series II speaker in this baby, and re-tube it. Looks like it's got groove tubes in it, and I don't like them. Like most tube amps, you have to adjust and tweak a bit it to really get the sound you want, and it's been awhile since I used a tube amp, so I am a bit rusty. lol I've used a few Boogie's before, and remember how loud they were, but it still amazes me how an amp this small could be so incredibly loud! :D

I have a wicker/wood MK I RI, too. I had an Altec 417-8H in it for a while but went back to the EVM 12L it came with. The Altec was just too bright for me. It's perfect in my Mesa Studio .22+ though. I replaced the Groove Tubes with Svetlana (Winged C) 6L6's and hand selected the preamp tubes and I'm most of the way there. I'd love to find a quartet of NOS Mesa STR 415's, but they're probably outside my budget. I had a bias pot installed and the Gil Ayan mods (smooths the distortion, improves the reverb and makes the low end less "farty") done to it and it's one toneful loud mofo! If I had a road case I'd gig with it more. I really don't want to trash that nice cabinet.

Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like the Gil Ayan mods.

Back