help please Iam very confused

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdove

Reaction score
I just bought a new mesa dual rec and I cant get a good sound out of it?Iam very confused why does this amp have so much bass (I thought extreme amounts of bass in a guitar sound was always bad)?I play heavey music but **** this thing is insainly bassy,can anybody help me please? Dont tell me that my peavey triple xxx is a better sounding amp because that amp sucked...

here is a list of gear Iam using

esp-400 viper baritone tuned A#D#G#C#F#A# (a seven string minus the low E)
mesa dual rectifier

and a rectifer cab

Iam running the head at 8ohm into the cab at 8ohm

my settings so far are
channel 3
bass-10:00
mids-12:00
treble-1:30-2:00
presence- 1:00-1:30
volume-11:00
gain-1:00

this is the channell I use the most if I can get this channel to sound good I'll be happy and figure out the other channels.

First things first, the Dual Recto has a very very very strong bass response, so what you are experiencing is actually normal.

The easiest solution I can offer first of all is lower your bass even more!
The rest of your settings seem pretty reasonable.

Matter of fact, they are almost exactly what I use on my Recto, and I also run a Viper400 (not baritone though) with it.

Another thing you might want to consider is a different cab. Recto cabs (or just v30s in general) arent known for having the tightest bass response.

Im guessing you play some sort of metal or hardcore based on your guitar of choice, so Id highly recomend looking into a VHT fat bottom cab, or Genz Benz G-flex. If you are on a budget Id also recomend a Marshall1960 cab (w/ GT75s) as for more precussive metal sounds it works much better IMO than Recto cabs do. For reference, I believe the Black Dhalia Murder runs Rectos and Marshall cabs.

Swapping tubes out might be another option you might consider.
Just switching to EL34s in general will give you a much more controled low end response. If you want to stick with 6l6s, then look into the JJ 6l6 (www.eurotubes.com). Of course, dont overlook your pre amp tubes.

On the other hand, this just may not be the amp for you!

First things first, the Dual Recto has a very very very strong bass response, so what you are experiencing is actually normal.

Matter of fact, they are almost exactly what I use on my Recto, and I also run a Viper400 (not baritone though) with it.

Another thing you might want to consider is a different cab. Recto cabs (or just v30s in general) arent known for having the tightest bass response.

Im guessing you play some sort of metal or hardcore based on your guitar of choice, so Id highly recomend looking into a VHT fat bottom cab, or Genz Benz G-flex. If you are on a budget Id also recomend a Marshall1960 cab (w/ GT75s) as for more precussive metal sounds it works much better IMO than Recto cabs do. For reference, I believe the Black Dhalia Murder runs Rectos and Marshall cabs.

Just switching to EL34s in general will give you a much more controled low end response. If you want to stick with 6l6s, then look into the JJ 6l6 (www.eurotubes.com). Of course, dont overlook your pre amp tubes.

If tight low end is what you are after in a 3ch Mesa, then Id highly recomend looking into a MkIV

thats strange, mine doesnt sound overly bassy and i have to turn my bass up to about 3:00. maybe its got to do with my 1960 marshall cab though
have you tried the rectifier diodes, that seems to make it more bright.

i find the best distortion is on channel 2 on modern, its more creamy for my taste.

What setting do you have the front toggle at? vintage/raw/modern? I noticed that the modern pushes the head a lil harder and brings out more mids and highs. Same as the silicone diodes vs the rectifier pre's and the bold vs spongy change how hard the preamp section is running. The harder it's ran, the less boomy-bass sound you'll get.

MesallicA said:
thats strange, mine doesnt sound overly bassy and i have to turn my bass up to about 3:00. maybe its got to do with my 1960 marshall cab though

i find the best distortion is on channel 2 on modern, its more creamy for my taste.

I also play with a marshall1960 cab, and theres is no way Id run my bass to 3:00, even with my viper w/ EMG81s, which have an almost non-existant low end response. I usually leave it at 10:00, no more than noon max, and thats only when Im not playing metal or hardcore stuff.

no soul said:
MesallicA said:

I also play with a marshall1960 cab, and theres is no way Id run my bass to 3:00, even with my viper w/ EMG81s, which have an almost non-existant low end response. I usually leave it at 10:00, no more than noon max, and thats only when Im not playing metal or hardcore stuff.
ive got an alder guitar with emg hzs, dont know if thats got anything to do with it though. maybe i just like it more bassy i geuss.

no soul said:

Man, you are so on it hurts !!! The only thing I could add is to watch the Bass on the Marshall cabs so they dont fart out.

I don't have a Recto, but have noticed on my Lone Star that cutting the mid's really pulls back the bass a bunch. It is the way the tone pot's cascade so the less of one you use it puts a natural choke on the next one in the stage. I'd move the mid dial down to 11, then 10 then even 9 and see if that helps.

Back