Help picking the right mesa boogie mark iib for mid focus

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jontz71

Reaction score
hey guys,

am new to the forum and have owned a mesa 50/50 back in the early 90's. currently own a ceriatone yeti for my aggressive stuff and looking for a very particular tone that's giving me the itch.

check out this clip of a mark iib and listen at the riff lead tone at 7:10:

listen at 7:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHFjujPgGSc

the bands that also remind me of this stuff are phish, government mule and moe.

what should this kind of amp be selling for on the used market ? there is a black one on ebay for 1k right now but not sure if that's exactly the same cause it's got the "black shadow" vs "EV" speaker.

any thoughts for best bang for the buck on this mid focused tone ?

am a better off looking for a fender ?

it's tough, but it does tell me this is the mid focus i am after.

then it's a matter of mesa owners with experience on these amps to help narrow the spectrum ;)

I've got a zendrive but that's more john Mayer two rock and dumble vs that mid honk I hear in the "white mkiib"

Another question for u owners out there. Does the "ev" vs "black shadow" have a huge impact on the mids ?

Do you all think that tone is unique to the "white mkiib" ?

I've got a ceriatone yeti and Nik at ceriatone says I should be able to get that honk but I don't hear it :)

Would love to hear more owners of the mkiib chime in on the video reference.

jontz71 said:
Another question for u owners out there. Does the "ev" vs "black shadow" have a huge impact on the mids ?

"Black Shadow" is a generic (or brand) name Mesa used on speakers.
EV's could be labeled as "Black Shadow" as well as a number of other speakers.

So what Mesa speaker are you referring to/ asking about when you say "black shadow"?

Latest posts

Back