Help!!! new tubes and no sound new. update!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metallicat

Reaction score
ok i got my recto retube kit from eurotubes and i watched vids online on how to put em in did it. pluged it all back up powerd fine i let sit on standby for at least 30 seconds fliped it on was playin on CH1 everything was fine. then i switched to CH3 played one power chord and it was fine then there was crakling and static then no sound at all. i emailed eurotubes they said it sounds like a blows fuse so i check it and it looks fine(but i don't know what a blown one looks like lol) and now it can't get the fuse to screw back in. so if anyone can help that would be great.

ok so i put all the old tubes back and i'm getting some sound but it's very low. so i'm selling the jj's and geting mesa tubes. that's what i should have done in the first place.

Usually you can visually tell if the fuse is bad but sometimes it takes a meter and checking for continuity to definitively tell. Best bet is to put a spare fuse in it however I'd venture a guess you have a bad tube. Can you put the old ones back in and see if it works? It is not that uncommon to get a bad tube.
Good luck!

Sounds to me like you got JJ's from Bob! :lol:

But seriously... pull those out and put your old ones in and replace the fuse with the same type... Radioshack carries them.

I tried Bobs tubes and Blew a fuse to... It was the GZ34 rectifier tubes. He told me to go up a fuse size... I pulled them out and put them on Ebay. MESA builds them so I figure they KNOW what fuse the amp needs. Bob sells tubes.

I went with Mesa POWER tubes and EH- rectifiers (same as stock) and a mixture of tung-sols and Mesa pre-amp tubes and havent had another problem.

songrider said:
Sounds to me like you got JJ's from Bob! :lol:

But seriously... pull those out and put your old ones in and replace the fuse with the same type... Radioshack carries them.

I tried Bobs tubes and Blew a fuse to... It was the GZ34 rectifier tubes. He told me to go up a fuse size... I pulled them out and put them on Ebay. MESA builds them so I figure they KNOW what fuse the amp needs. Bob sells tubes.

I went with Mesa POWER tubes and EH- rectifiers (same as stock) and a mixture of tung-sols and Mesa pre-amp tubes and havent had another problem.

i don't even use the rectifire tubes they have never even been lit

Not trying to be rude, but is there no one you know that can help you trouble shoot these issues in person? The problem sounded to me like a bad preamp. Most likley V-1. You probably could have saved yourself some money by just picking up a Mesa Spax-7 and throwing it in V-1 to see if that solved your problem on channels 2 and 3 since 1 seemed fine. You could have then swapped the other preamp tubes until you found the bad one. Never hurts to have 12ax7's laying around.

Did you order 6l6's or EL 34s from Bob? Did you select the proper bias?

If you've never tried the rectifier tubes how do we know that this isn't part of the problem? If you swapped out all the tubes - the rectifiers, maybe this is where your trouble lies. It's been a while since I've owned a DR and I think the jury is still out (or someone with more technical knowledge could provide assistance here) if the tubes are required or part of the circuit even if not in use.

I can tell you that vintage mode w/ the rectifiers selected and the amp cranked with a good OD front, gives the amp a completely different and pleasant feel.

Best of luck.

i ordered a kit from Bob a while back when i had my DSL100. i slapped them all in there. Biased the amp. when i took it off standby i had no sound. so i swapped out the preamp tubes one by one until i found the bad one. emailed Bob and i got a reply within an hour. he ended up sending me 2 replacement tubes for my troubles. that was some of the best customer service you could ask for. so i made my mind up that i will keep buying from him.

IMO Mesa tubes are in the same area as Groove tubes. OVERPRICED. all those companies do is by tubes from someone else, test them, re-label them, and slap on a huge pricetag.

xnatex said:
i ordered a kit from Bob a while back when i had my DSL100. i slapped them all in there. Biased the amp. when i took it off standby i had no sound. so i swapped out the preamp tubes one by one until i found the bad one. emailed Bob and i got a reply within an hour. he ended up sending me 2 replacement tubes for my troubles. that was some of the best customer service you could ask for. so i made my mind up that i will keep buying from him.

IMO Mesa tubes are in the same area as Groove tubes. OVERPRICED. all those companies do is by tubes from someone else, test them, re-label them, and slap on a huge pricetag.

i did that and when i replace the on a v2 a had a little bit of sound from ch 2 and 3 but like the vol knob would not do anything.

Back