Help Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier is sounding muddy and weak

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bermuda_

Reaction score
He everyone im new to this board and to tube amps so bear with me :lol: right i just recently bought a Mesa Boogie Dual 3 channel Rectifier of Ebay pre owned and i also purchased a brand new 4x12 oversized mesa cabinet.

Now the problem im having with my amp is when im playing the amp with master volume down to zero i can hear a lovely bit of distortion coming though my amp speakers but when i crank the volume up louder on my amp it starts to sound muddy and weak i was just wondering guys is it normal for this sort of thing to happen with tube amps :?: i really don't know how to fix this problem :shock: guys please help me out also my amp is on the loop bypass setting.

I have a Dual Rec Road King so it is not exactly the same, but I also can hear my guitar when I have the output set to zero if I have the channel master above 9:00. It's quite if I'm not playing.

What are your settings?

Does it sound unnatural bad, like you think your amp is broken, or is it just a tone thing?

The best investment I ever made for my Roadking was a graphic EQ in the loop.

I was still able to get a great tone without it, but it really allowed me to sculpt the tone (get rid of the mud) I wanted, and to also remove some of the fizz that is prevelent in dual Rec's at low volumes.

PS, this is the vintage amps section, you probably want this in the modern amps sections

eh when the master volume is at 0 its not that loud at all but i does have a nice bit of distortion.

but when i higher the master volume my tone just goes to muck and the gain just goes down

this is my first tube amp i have ever had i used to own a Marshall MG 30 but sold it recently thank god it sound like crap

but having said the even my MG had more balls to it than my Mesa whic is strange because it should be the other way around :lol:

bermuda_ said:
but having said the even my MG had more balls to it than my Mesa whic is strange because it should be the other way around :lol:

OK, then your amp is broken and in need of repair.

The MG series is well, ehh, for a solid state it is middle of the the road. I say Randall makes the best solid state (or atleast did back in the 80's with the RG100 ES).

But the Dual Rec is in an entirely other class then the MG.

I'd start looking at the tubes.

Agree, get it to a tech, could be a few different problems but something wrong for it to be weak compared to an MG30, It should blow walls over, have the cops called, and kill small animals. :evil:

Latest posts

Back