Help me record my Dual Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightypudge

Reaction score
Hey, this is a question for all you guys out there that have recorded your Dual or Triple Rec, or even your RK.

I've been doing home recording for about five years, and I've recorded a bunch of amps that all sounded really nice. My most recent amps were three Riveras (Rake, Suprema, Knucklehead II) and a Mesa Mark IV. All sounded just fine with an SM57.

However I can't seem to get a good recorded tone with my Dual Rec. The tone I hear in the room is is fine, but when I record that tone it always seems flat. I'm recording at lower volumes so maybe that is the problem. I don't have my gain settings too high - I usually keep them at 1 or 2 o'clock.

So, can anyone with experience pass along any tips? Are there any tricks to getting the best recorded tone with this amp?

I'll try and post a few clips in the next few days for comparison.

Well I've never recorded a recto, but I have recorded high gain amps in the past. 5150, soldano hd150, marshall 18watt. I currently have a LSS so your results will probably very, but here goes nothin'.

I close mic with a Shure beta57, and I place a mic usually a sm58, or an audio technica about 2 feet from the cab if it is a closed back cab; if the cab is open back, then I like to run a ribon mic, or a sm58 in the back of the speaker. With all tube amps volume is an issue, you need to push air. I have a 112 thiele cab that I used with my 5150 head for recording that sounded awesome, and kept the volume under control a little better. One other thing to consider is getting a good mic preamp. I use a prosonus blue tube, it sounds good and is not too expensive.

Good luck.

Like said, try running more than one mic at different distances, and then mixing them....

Quick question....would using a interface (presonus firebox, for example) eliminate the need for a mic preamp, or would getting one still be useful?

I think it's the volume, Andrew.

I've gotten really good results with my DR using just a 57. I usually record at medium volumes and above. I think that helps because the tone of the amp can bloom a bit more. Lower volumes do seem to sound really flat. And believe it or not, DR's sound huge with less gain.

If volume is an issue, you can get moving blankets on Evilbay for a really good price (I just got a dozen of them for about $80), and wrap the cabinet up with them.

An interface is essentially a "digital mic pre". I think that an interface in conjunction with a good computer sound card could get the same results. I still use a mic pre before the PC though; you get a little more wiggle room as far as EQ and gain. A good compressor can never hurt either.

Latest posts

Back