Help me identify these tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomprs

Reaction score
I have 4 of these STR430 Mesa stickered tubes. I replaced them a few years ago by Sovtek 5881 and I'd like to come back to Mesa power tubes now. I know Mesa buy other brands tubes and re-label them. They also usually put a color code on their stickers (which I don't see here). Can someone help me identify these tubes?

Thanks!

Tom.

MesaSTR430_zps225038b6.jpg

I can't tell you what factory manufactured them but the GRY stands for Grey color

Those are the Sovtek 5881WXT:
Like these:
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6L6-5881-Tube-Types/Sovtek-5881WXT

MrMarkIII said:
Those are the Sovtek 5881WXT:
Like these:
http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6L6-5881-Tube-Types/Sovtek-5881WXT

Definitely not...they are 6L6. 5881 are different kind of tubes.

thunda1216 said:
The Mesa STR 430 was the Sovtek 6L6WXT+

OK nice to know. My final choice will be between these three:

JJ 6L6 GC
Sovtek 6L6 WXT
Mesa STR 440

I've heard good things about the JJs. Has anyone tried them in a dual recto?

Tom.

tomprs said:
thunda1216 said:

JJ 6L6 GC
Sovtek 6L6 WXT
Mesa STR 440

Tom.

Yes all I use currently and for about the past 10 years are the JJ s. I get them direct from eurotubes. Have tried
buying them from other vendors but just didnt sound the same. Im running a quad in my dual. I run an integrated
sextet of KT88 and KT66 in my triple. I also run an ECC803s in V1. Every time I go out and try other and I have a shop
full of tube I end up with JJ power tubes again and again. Preamp is another story. Nothing bigger and lower. They
just dont get loose. Correct me if im wrong but arent current production Rectos c omming with JJs?

6l6russ said:
tomprs said:
thunda1216 said:

JJ 6L6 GC
Sovtek 6L6 WXT
Mesa STR 440

Tom.

Yes all I use currently and for about the past 10 years are the JJ s. I get them direct from eurotubes. Have tried
buying them from other vendors but just didnt sound the same. Im running a quad in my dual. I run an integrated
sextet of KT88 and KT66 in my triple. I also run an ECC803s in V1. Every time I go out and try other and I have a shop
full of tube I end up with JJ power tubes again and again. Preamp is another story. Nothing bigger and lower. They
just dont get loose. Correct me if im wrong but arent current production Rectos c omming with JJs?

I read somewhere Mesa str440 were Ruby tubes...but doesn't Ruby uses other brands tubes and relabel them? I'm not sure. Are you talking about the "famous" Tung Sol 12ax7 in V1? Thanks for the input ;)

Tom.

No Tom I run the JJ803S in V1. Along with the KT88 and KT66 in the power section the clean channel
is unreal. I have tried about everything in V1 that is current production tubes. I do use an 12ax7eh in v2 and v3.
I use a jjecc83s in v4 and a balanced pi in v5.

Latest posts

Back