Help! Lonestar Classic 2X12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Lonestar after being impressed by the clean and distorted sounds I heard when I tried it out at Guitar Center. The clean sound of the amp I have sounds pretty good, but the distortion/overdrive channel sounds pretty murky/harsh/edgy/flabby. The amp has a little hum when turned up but I don't know if that’s related to the problem. I aim for a vintage flavored, singing, saturated overdrive (think Robben Ford, Clapton)
I have messed with the settings quite a bit but it still doesn't sound like the one I played in Guitar Center(which wasn't the LS special) I'm not deaf, This one sounds different. Does anyone know what the possible cause could be or what maybe able to fix it? Any Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. I play a Gibson Les Paul Special with DiMarzio EJ Custom humbuckers(they sound alot like single coils though)

Hey Peter,
I would suggest couple different brands and types of 12ax7's and swap in and out the first position. swap em and play em till you find one you like. I have done the same think with my lonestar and my mark one.

Awh the holy grail of amps for me.

Ok first speakers not broken in yet # 1

#2 The dirty channel is anything but harsh etc... It is great and I didnt change one tube in the amp.I wont either. I am done with that thinking. I did it for 30 years and it isnt going to change the amp that much. Re eq the amp. Put it on 100 watts and or the solid state rec for a non flabby tight gain tone. Use the amp at a decent volume as well. If not buy an attenuator. I have a 4-10 and a 2-12 version of the classic lonestar and the 4-10 blows everyones fender vibroking out of the water and the 2-12 well 2-3000 amps. Its a very non boogie tone. Real boutique sounding in itself but keep at it and let us know. I slam the front of the gain with a fatboost fulltone for a tighter and more gain like tone.

PS use the loop on half way up with nothing in it and the output on the front at 12 oclock. That will help

Thanks for the advice

i can't call Mesa on the weekend but I'm pretty sure that their is something wrong with my amp. i bought it for the sweet tones i've heard coming from it, but my amp sounds like mud. Its under warrenty so unless the ampflier is supposed to sound ugly i'm safe.

Back