Help - Just got RK and it's dead :(----RESOLVED!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autocrat

Reaction score
I just got a used RK1 from a seller in Arizona (I live in CA). He seems on the up and up so that's not a problem.

The seller had it double boxed but didn't use the original boxes and lined it with those shipping air bags on the top and bottom (2"x4"). He also separated the power and rectifier tubes.

When it got to me in 2 days, it looked fine and i proceeded to install the tubes. They all went in fine but when i turned it on (and warmed it up), no sound. On channels 1 and 2, i maxed out the master knob to hear some faint sounds. The gain knob doesn't respond at all. Channels 3 and 4 don't respond at all. Doesn't matter the voicing (clean/raw, etc) or tube selection or bold/spongy. I tried replacing the power tubes with my own 6L6s, but no luck.

I didn't try swapping out the preamp tubes yet since they were in the protected coverings, but I guess I'll try that.

Anyone have any ideas?? If not i'll have to bring it into a Mesa tech on Monday :(

I'd say replace all the preamp tubes, turn off the loop and try from there.

Definitely pull the shields off of the tubes and see if any were damaged in shipping. Turning the loop off is a good start to rule out certain settings. Did your amp receive all of the factory updates? If it does NOT have a fan then you may missing some channel switch circuit updates. You should call Mesa and find out if any work has been done to your amp.

Greg

Yeah, this was mine. I'm the seller. I sent him a couple e-mails saying to try the preamp tubes. This amp was working perfect and was packed really well. I had another amp a few months ago that the preamp tubes got damaged in shipping. I think after this amp, I'll remove the preamp tubes also for shipping. I hope he gets it going easily. I'm almost positive it is a preamp tube.

All is well...it was the V1 preamp tube. It either just died or something happened to it during shipping. Anyway, I replaced it with an SPAX7 tube and it works now.

Tim is a good guy and I'd buy from him again!

Just an fyi to everyone. Shipping companies usually require at least 2" of hard foam for these type of items to honor damage claims. Even if you wrap it in tons of bubble wrap, or peanuts, they may not honor that because it needs to meet the minimum thickness requirements. Original box with another on the outside is the way to go. I had to learn the hard way with an RM100.

Thanks Tim!

Back