Help! DC-10 Smells Hot When Cranked

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ Slaughter

Reaction score
I haven't had this amp long but in the time I've used it my volumes have been low, masters around 3 and level 2-3 with only moderate gain. For good measure I replaced the caps in it a little while ago and used a silicone to help hold them to the PCB. Still no problems.

Now I just got an attenuator so I could crank the masters more and get power tube saturation without splitting my ears open. I don't attenuate it more than 30%-40%. After playing with the masters on about 5 still moderate gains, 3-4 on lead channel, 5 on rhythm channel, I notice a hot plastic like smell after about 5-10 minutes of playing. Not the typical electrical burning smell but that may be only because I didn't let it get that far. Any suggestions on what it may be or what I can do to prevent a major problem? The silicone used was automotive clear RTV. I applied a little to the PCB under each large cap and a little on the top between each one like it came from the factory.

I hope it's just the silicone but even that would get annoying after awhile. Please help before I blow this **** thing up. :cry:

Latest posts

Back