Help a guitarist to find his perfect tone!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalKnight

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to this board!
I already own a ENGL Powerball which is great for rhythm etc... BUT it's not the tone I want for leads... I always wanted a creamy, warm and liquid tone!!! I've listen and watched to many video/mp3 regarding mesa amps. Now I've narrowed my choice between a Mark IV Head or a Road King II Head.
I ask you, mesa boogie users to help me choose between the two!
Thanks in advance!

Federico (Italy)

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
If you want creamy warm and liquid, then MKIV is the way to go :D

Do you think that the Road King is not capable to do that?
thx for answering me!

This is only my opinion... however I am a articulate player and I don't cheat when I solo (every note is deliberate). With that said, I found the MKIV to be a smooth amp but because it is so tight it also is very non forgiving. It will not let you bluff at all. Every mistake you make will be pronounced to you and whoever is listening. I found I was always fighting the amp while playing live. Don't count out the Stiletto or Lonestar. I found both of these amps to be smoother than the MKIV. For me the Lonestar didn't track well enough (Fender Mushy) so I preferred the Stilletto. The Stiletto allows an articulate player to hear every note played and it tracks as well as a MKIV. The smooth solo sound is why I went with the Stiletto.

i used to own a Powerball and i was looking for the exact same thing. The Powerball, to me is probably the tightest rhythm sound you can get, but it sacrifices all the soul for it. Mesa is the answer. And you'll find it out of the box in any of the later Mark series. You'll lose some low-end though.

sricabla said:
Read this http://www.amptone.com/truesecretofamptone.htm

wow that was a great read.... i think many many forum members here have hit upon all of the facts (especially the eq pedals and attenuators) he brought up, but it was nice to hear it all together in one fell swoop.... thanks for the link

Back