Help! 50+ Caliber blown

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambo

Reaction score
I have a 50+ Caliber that has blown... just stopped making sound, and emitted a burning odor. On opening it up, I noticed one reverb spring had come off, but there is more. The resistor marked R261 completely toasted. Here are pictures:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/09ac26ee-3fcf-48fa-b784-755e5248702b/DSCF0053
http://www.esnips.com/doc/78cb098c-d3d1-4743-b8ed-222b0eb0c72f/DSCF0054

You can see that the trace on the board is fried as well. How do we go forward from this point? I can probably get another resistor, but the markings on it don't jive with what it is reading (89.4 ohms.) On top of it, I can't tell what it was supposed to be now from the markings, because the markings are all toasted different shades of reddish brown black. 200 ohm? 100? 20K? 10K? Ya got me! None of these appear in the schematics. Will that even fix it? What else should I check, since I am now finding the spirit of technology in art. :p

Inspection of the output tubes show that one may have blown (slight milky haze near the bottom, but I don't have my tester with me.)

Any help would be much appreciated, but I see I am the only one here. :(

More info:

We have a thread going on AGA.

Folks seem to think it is supposed to be the 1500 ohm 5 watt resistor shown in the High-Voltage supply at http://www.tubefreak.com/cal50pow.gif

Let's try this fancy image linker here...
cal50pow.gif

What do y'all think? Replace the supposed 200 with a 1500, or were there some mods done here to the power transformer that aren't documented, requiring a change to 200 for that resistor?

Thanx in advance... don't all chime in at once! javascript:emoticon(':wink:')
Wink

Boogiebabies is THE man to answer you that, try to contact him, he sure knows the answer for you . . .

oh man, wish you luck, cause that sucks :( and yes, the 50+ is a wonderfull amp!! :D

Yeah... I really liked the tone after I went to MESA preamp tubes (one had been replaced with a Sovtek that muddied the sound in V3... have had better luck with a Groove tube, but am now trying a Russian 2 in V1 and swapping the slightly weaker V1 original Mesa STR into V3.)

Finals had been replaced with 6L6GC (KT66) of which one is now suspect. They were in it when I got it used. I have a new pair of Fender Sovteks to replace them with for now.

Thanks for tip about boogiebabies... I will look to get ahold of him. [/quote]

There is an update here from AGA:

That resistor is located in the footswitch supply and provides power
to 3 of the 5 LDRs (LDR 1 - 3).
Your (in circuit?) measurement of "89.4" ohms tells me that it's not
burned open- (fwiw an open here would
disable the lead and mid-boost modes but would not disable clean, so
it is not the cause of your amp being
totally dead (if it is). The value should be 100 ohm. Let me ask you=>
the boogie foot switch has, (and needs to have),
some *internal* series resistance of (iirc) around 3.5K. You haven't
been a naughty boy and have been just using
"just any ol' foot switch, now have you? :)

bk

I was simply using an on/off FS. I guess it has to have a 3.5K resistor in series. Who knew?

Back