Hello everyone! New member & a Studio Caliber DC-2 owner.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripper

Reaction score
Hi everyone, glad to be finally on board the forum after close to a 1-year ownership of a Studio Caliber DC-2! Has been lurking around in the forum and admiring the Marks (ya know - the iic+...) Was really a shame too, as I finally join now to seek advice to remedy a somewhat dying amp :wink:

Anyway, my humble rig here, not including in the pic is a Boss PQ-50 Parametric Equalizer that runs in the loop:

[url=http://www.freeimagehosting.ne...imagehosting.net/uploads/3483b04293.jpg[/img][/url]

I am a big musicman fans too, boogie members who are musicman forum members may recognise me. Here my problem:

Got a Boss PQ-50 recently. Purchased a ARTEC SE-2FS footswitch to turn on this para-eq and the amp's lead channel. After playing for 2 days, the amp suddenly demonstrate a sudden drop in volume after 15 min of play (for both lead and rhythm channels) So I turn the standby off, and turn on again. Problem comes back after 15min of play again. This time, in addition to the sudden drop in volume for both channels, I only heard a thin fizzy sound at the rhythm channel. I suspected that the power tubes might have died, so I got a full set of tubes to replace, including a matched set of sovtek EL84M. New tubes in, lights on, but no sound on the rhythm channel, lead channel okay. Footswitching as well as manual switching couldnt activate the rhythm channel. After 2 days of play, problem still exist, and the problem of sudden drop in volume return for the lead channel.

Really hope you guys to help. Thank you!! :)

Hey, welcome to DC land! Nice set up.

I'm no expert but the first thing I'd do is start switching out the preamp tubes one by one. Several of the preamp tubes are shared between the Lead and Rhythm channels. You might have one that's working intermittently.

Also make sure there is nothing pulgged into the loop. I had a similar problem with my amp once and it was caused a bad power supply to my delay in the loop.

Sorry if this stuff is obvious!

Since you've eliminated the power tubes. If this doesn't work you need a real amp Dr.

As GD_NC said, start replacing those preamp tubes one by one and see if you can fix the problem. Just plug straight up to the amp without any pedals at all and with a known good working cable for your testing! Let us know what you find.

Nice collection of Ernie Balls man! I love my JP6. I wouldn't mind to have a few more balls around - LOL (that never seems to get old for some reason). Anyway, good luck with your amp! I've never heard a DC-2, but they look pretty cool and portable!

Thanks guys! I read some post about problem with a dc-10, and I believe the LDRs play a big part in craeting the proble. Afterall, the footswitch has not been used for a long time... Anyway, since the amp is able to power up with the lights up, I believe the transformer is fine, just sent it to my local tech. He is diagnosing the problem now. I hope this decade old amp is rescuable, really like it for the functions!!

p.s. :Musicmanjp6 - lovin' your dc-3 head! Hope to hunt one down with an export voltage transformer someday!

Usually, it's the power tubes that cause a drop in volume, although I've seen preamp tubes do it too.

I would replace the power tubes 1st and see if that helps.
Then, definitely use a tube you know is good and replace the preamp tubes 1 at a time.
If that doesn't help, let me know.

Thanks Monsta!

I have replaced the power tubes with a new matched pair of EL84M as well as 6 new 12ax7, only the lead channel works, the rhythm channel still dont work. After some time of play, the lead channel demonstrate sudden drop in volume too.

Thanks for any further advice as I am worry my local tech is not equip with knowledge on the DCs. Thanks!

I am a overseas poster. I live in Singapore. This amp was originally distributed by my local mesa distributer about 13 years back, which is why it was fitted with a 230v local transformer. He has since called it a day, ya know, stiff competition from other bigger names amp maker...

I really hope to send it to you for servicing if I am staying in the US, but I can only rely on you guys now for advice. My DC-2 (Studio Caliber) could be one out of the only 13 or 14 distributed and sold in our country here. Really have to rescue it for its rarity (may sound a bit stupid for you guys over here at the US though).

That's too bad, I would fix it up in no time for you.
You might try emailing Mesa and ask if they have a support center in your country or a country near yours.

It is not silly to feel the way you do. They are great little amps and made really well. I think most Mesa owners feel the same way you do about their amps! I sure as hell do!

Another BB member (Dani) in Singapore just bought my DC-5. Small world!

Monsta-Tone said:
They are great little amps and made really well. I think most Mesa owners feel the same way you do about their amps! I sure as hell do!

Another BB member (Dani) in Singapore just bought my DC-5. Small world!

Haha, small world indeed. No surprise though, we Singapore people surf the net for gears! As a matter of fact, 90% of the gears in my pics are from US...

I'll see what my tech say, and I will revert back to the board. Thanks Monsta!

Latest posts

Back