Heartbreaker vs. Lonestar Re:lower gain?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Need some advice - looking for a more bluesy tone, low gain tone. Between the Heartbreaker and the Lonestar/LSS, which one would fit the bill better?
Thanks!

Matt

Here is how I see it:

Heartbreaker:
Channel 1 sounds great clean, but needs to be cranked a little
Channel 1 distortion can go from overdriven Blackface to melt your face off Mark I. It is very muddy if the Bass is turned above 10:00.
Reverb is mediocre. Much better than Marshall, but not Fender.
Channel 2 is great clean. Very full & rich, like Marshall cleans should have been.
Channel 2 has great distortions that are low to medium gain with lots of sustain.
Channel switching is flawless. No delays or glitches.
No Solo function, but this is easy to add.
Series Loop sounds really, really good with the G-Major.
Priced a little lower, compared to Lonestar.

Lonestar Classic:
Channel 1 is like a Twin Reverb, but a little warmer.
Reverb is in-freaking-credible.
Channel 2 can get anything from where Channel 1 leaves off to sweet bluesy distortion, all the way to ZZ Top.
There is a delay in the Reverb, followed by a swell in the Reverb when changing channels.
Does have the Solo function.
Didn't get the chance to use the Loop, but my buddy who bought mine says it works great with the G-Major.

Lonestar Special:
I think this is a better sounding amp than the LSC.
Channel 1 can get Vox or Fender tones.
Reverb is phenomenal.
Channel 2 is pretty much like the LSC, but the distortion is a little more pleasing to me because you can get power tube distortion at much lower volumes than on the LSC.
Has the same glitch on the channel switching.
Has the Solo function.

I just sold my LSS, which I had traded my LSC to a friend for.
I also just sold my Heartbreaker.

If I had my way, I would have kept the Heartbreaker. I really needed to raise some money though. New baby in the family. They are very easy to dial in and sound great with Strats.

I really liked the Heartbreaker & LSC because it was versatile as far as power tubes. You can use 6L6, 6V6, or EL34's. The LSS sounded better to me than the LSC, but I probably could have found most of the same tones in the LSC if I had it for longer.

Any of these amps will do exactly what you need, very well.

I think the LSS sounds the best with Strats & Humbuckers.

I'm really not much help am I???? :lol:

You're right, no help whatsoever :lol: ! I really appreciate the detailed response. One last question: I have a MKIVA. Do you think the Heartbreaker would be duplicating what I already have? Thanks again and congrats on the new baby!

Matt

I really don't think so. The HB channel 1 is modelled more after the Mark I. It tends to get very dark sounding unless you crank it. You can definitely nail the Santana tone with everything on 7 though! :D

I actually used channel 1 for my cleans and modded channel 2 to be really close to a Marshall 2203 circuit for my distortions. It is really close already, just needed a few parts changed.

The Mark IV seems to have a voice of it's own. I think that between the 2 amps you will have an incredible arsenal of tones.

Monsta-Tone said:
If I had my way, I would have kept the Heartbreaker. I really needed to raise some money though. New baby in the family. They are very easy to dial in and sound great with Strats.

A strat that sounds great plugged into a baby!? MAN! I got to get me one of those! :lol:

i kid, Congrats on the BAS!

Monsta-Tone,
I'm heading down to Scranton PA tomorrow to check out a used Subway Rocket Reverb, the Express series, and the LSC (for the 3rd time) just cover all my musical bases before pulling the trigger. However, I am definitely leaning heavily towards the Heartbreaker based on your sage advice. I owe ya one!

Matt

If you get one and want to mod it, let me know. I have tons of stuff for that amp. It really is a sweety. I've barely got it boxed up and I'm already missing it. Gotta ship it to Nosajwp tomorrow.

Let me know how you like the other amps. I'm really getting into lower wattage amps lately.

Latest posts

Back