"headin' for the weeds" (60w mark 2b)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
"headin' for the weeds"

just sharing a song...

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/headin-for-the-weeds

written out of frustration over the iraq mess....

i used my '84 carvin dc200k for the rhythms on this one...
that guitar has a real tight feel..

and then i used my USACG short scale strat on the solo....

i used my '81 mark 2b on all tracks

elec rig setup:
4oiy.jpg

well, it's been a while, thought i'd move this back up for any more conversation on it

soundchaser
thanks man.
glad you were diggin' it

oh yea, i forget that highway star is still posted!
LOL

that was a fun project for sure....
the singing was a bit tough though...

hi gonzo...
I really love your Carvin on the left...Wonderful flamed top, not too heavy , not too bright.
I can't understand which guitar is that in the center, with the banana headstock.
The headstock remind me of old '80s kramers (baretta and pacer)...But the body, the figured wood of the neck and, above all, the kahler bridge, tell me that is impossible...Is it a custom made guitar?
Finally, the humbucker on your strat seems like an L-500-something. Is it the "bill lawrence USA" or the original thing, made by the ancient pick up guru and his wife?
I've got a L-500L on my handmade guitar which, with the mesa mkIIB sounds amazing.
The mkII B has a lot of low and mid-low frequencies and I found that commons high output pick ups can't drive the amp without causing a heavy loss in definition on the lows.
With low gain setting this thing isn't so much evident, but it's very annoying in high gain territories.
Among high output pick ups I've tried, only EMGs and the bill and becky L-500L have the right definition to handle the huge lows of the mkII B.
I would like to know if you share this impression....

thecek

hey, thanks for reviving the thread!

the carvin, yes, 1984 was a very good year!
LOL

when i got that thing, the very next day, i drove to Zion Music and had them shave the neck!!!!

heheheh

can you imagine, taking a brand new guitar, still had the stickers and crap on it, and a shop is already shaving the neck..

well, i knew the minute i played it, it was a keeper, except for the neck shape.
i customized that, and to this day, this guitar is still my favorite of all of them.

in fact, the custom hybrid strat i had commissioned (more on that in a second) was built to the same neck spec as the customized carvin, only shorter.

((( warning: long thread alert )))

The Williams Special.

The Williams Special is a Les Paul-Strat-Mustang-Explorer hybrid, with hollow body cavities, Mustang scale length, built like a paul with mahagony and maple top, with vintage-dimension strat body, explorer headstock.

williamsclose.jpg

15646818.jpg

williamsheadstock.jpg

back of body/neck:
bodyback.jpg

headstock2.jpg

backheadneck.jpg

(semi-related: my first guitar was a '75 Fender Mustang.)

This guitar was commissioned in 1986.

It is a Gibson Les paul-Fender strat-Fender mustang-Gibson explorer HYBRID.
-built by Stan Williams, Rome Georgia.

-based on the Fender Mustang scale length....this design is also similar to brian may's red special.
-honduras mahogany body, with air cavities carved in the body below the maple top.
-flame maple top, 3/8" thick.
-vintage-dimension strat body.
-2-piece flame maple neck, with ebony fingerboard.
-no truss rod! there are (2) rectangular pieces of aircraft aluminum running the length of the fretboard.
-flame maple veneer on headstock, front, sides, and back.
-24" scale length.
-jumbo frets.
-custom inlays: mother of pearl, diamond shape, with a split diamond around the center pickup.
-Kahler 2300 pro tremelo.
-(3) off/on switches
-master volume, master tone, 3rd switch now unwired-
it was originally equipped with a EMG SA assembly, and the 3rd knob was the presence control.
it now has (2) bill lawrence L-280's, and a duncan Little 59 humbucker in the bridge.
-explorer headstock shape, true to scale.
-long tenon set neck
-13 degree tilt back headstock
-graphtec nut, with locking kahler nut behind it.

the Flame maple used on the top and neck, and veneers, was from a large timber (136 years old as of 2011) salvaged from a barn in Illinois.
The honduras was acquired long before there were conservation laws on that particular wood (blank dates back to pre-1980).

the les paul connection.

the basics of the les paul (the obvious basics) are:

slab mahogony body;
maple top;
strings on top of body;
2 piece maple neck;
glued in neck, long tenon;
tilt back headstock, no string trees required.

later, in 2008, they started weight relieving the standards, but remember, i built this in 1986.

so, the Gibson nod starts there.

mine has:

Honduras mahagony body -- maple top -- strings on top of body via the Kahler -- 2 piece maple neck -- a glued in neck with long tenon -- tilt back headstock.

it's really not hard to see the connection.

but my design tried to improve on all of this, because it also was capturing the best ideas of other guitar designs.

for example:

the volute on the explorer headstock is inherently stronger than the les paul (commonly known over time for breaks at the neck), plus i liked the headstock shape;

the weight relief is secondary-- the sound cavities i had routed strictly for that semi-acoustic property, making the guitar, at stage volume, extremely lively - this followed the basics of the Brian May Red Special, which was my starting point. his guitar is designed more like a 335 than mine, but i went there as much as i could without floating the top over a central beam;

the ebony fretboard brings out more les paul-style tonal characteristics than, say, a rosewood fretboard would have;

the glue in neck was a must, and unlike the les paul, which has that awkward heel, mine is smoothed out right into the back of the body, without so much as a line. the tonal effect with the glued in neck, and the long tenon is an obvious connection to the les paul lineage;

the tilt back headstock was unnecessary with the kahler locking nut, but i added it anyway, feeling that the downward pressure of the strings still helps to maintain a strong connection to the neck, vibration wise, and this is very much in les paul territory;

the strings on top, versus thru the body, is a very important link to the overall sound, and the use of the kahler is a great way to bridge the gap between a stop tailpiece and a floating trem.
tho they didn't have them then, now kahler has a 'hybrid' tailpiece, that can lock as a hard tail, or float as a trem.
best of both.

thecek

the lawrence pickups...

i have a 500L in the bridge of my custom strat, the vintage white one.
and it's hard to explain how that pickup gives me a more 'full range' than my duncan customs or ibanez flying fingers or the LIL 59'r in the williams special.....
humbuckers to humbuckers, it's just a wider frequency range that is available.

that can be good or bad, depending on your amp and speaker setup...

but with the mark 2b, it's a good thing.

i don't need as much presense or treble, for clarity.

the balancing act, is getting the GAIN you need out of the treble circuit of the amp, paired with the presence and other gain settings.
that's key with using the Lawrence.

i change my amp settings based on which guitar i use......

some guys don't like to do that.

my take is, every combination is unique, and some combinations (guitars and amps, i'm talking about) just work better than others.

hard to beat a fender strat and a fender Deluxe!

or paul and marshall...

but i'm always looking for the different tones, and the lawrence makes it easier.

Bill and Becky pickups, are the only true Bill Lawrence Pickups.

now they are called "Wilde" pickups
http://wildepickups.com/

well, I have to say that the "Williams Special" is very interesting...
It's very difficult to find other guitars with such solutions.
The two pieces neck, for example, it's very uncommon here in italy. luthiers prefer one piece or multi layer necks...tipically, in this last case, the three layer neck construction is the most used, like the maple neck of the old gibson customs.
even the absence of the truss rod is curious... effectively, layered necks are more stable than those made of only a one piece. My old kramer pacer custom has a three layers neck, and until now, I never have to adjust the truss rod.
Even the Martin acoustic guitars were built without truss rod.
Have you ever had problems with this neck?

About the Bill Lawrence pick up, I've bought the 500L directly from Bill and Becky...They're very kind.
The 500L is really something different with respect to other market products.
In fact now, I would like to buy the L-45 for the neck position.

thecek
yep, it was a cool experiment.
and works very well.

the craftsmanship is/was excellent, that really helps!
the finish has run, over the years, between the two pickups.
it was an experiment with a water based finish, back in '86.
took 20 years for it to happen....

you cannot find a guitar build like this anywhere.
you basically have to have someone build it from scratch.

the neck is dead straight, 27 years later.

Latest posts

Back