Head shell

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teletalkin

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a head cabinet available for those of us who would like to go from a Electra Dyne combo to a head?

You might call MESA to verify if a Lonestar chassis has the same dimensions and mounting hole spacing as the Electra Dyne. A Lonestar head has the chassis hanging from the top, like the ED combo, whereas the ED head is mounted from the bottom.

If the Lonestar Headshell doesn't work out, Mesa would probably modify an ED headshell to accomidate you. But it probably won't be cheap

Back when I had my Roadking 2x12 combo (you wanna talk about heavy), I spoke to them about it and they said they would do modify a Road King Headshell for me. Said it would run me 400$.

In the end I made one myself for about 200$
Front-1.jpg

I'm with you though. I'm thinking of selling and going with the head and cab. Especially since they have a cabinet that matches the ED combo cab.

JOEY B. said:
You might call MESA to verify if a Lonestar chassis has the same dimensions and mounting hole spacing as the Electra Dyne. A Lonestar head has the chassis hanging from the top, like the ED combo, whereas the ED head is mounted from the bottom.

Having gone back and looked at the pics and the listed dimensions of the lonestar, I think there may be a very good chance that the Lonestar headshell would fit the ED.

If the stock Lonestar headshell fits the ED, I think the price would be closer to the 200 -250 $ range.

I remember when I had looked at doing that for the Road King, it was 200-250 for the headshell and the extra 150-200 for modifying it.

If that is the case I think I may also go that route. Plus it would still look sweet as well!

Curiousity got the better of me so I went and called Mesa about it.

The Lonestar head cab will in fact fit the ElectraDyne.

He quoted me the 23" head cab. A little more then I was expecting.

The stock color for the lonestar head cab is black. So for a black Lonestar headcab you are looking at the following.
Head Cab: 329$
Reverb installed + 69$ (reverb is mounted differently in a head then combo. Said you wouldn't need this but he recommended it)
Tan + 179$

I think he said shipping would be around 30-40, but I don't remember for sure. The stuff above I wrote down though and is accurate atleast for today.

As far as warranty, the warranty is fine. As long as it isn't obvious damage caused by transferring it, as long as you use the Mesa head cab the warranty will not be voided.

Depending on how much you can sell the combo for, it is a tough call. The one thing that has me considering it is that I know what my combo sounds like and it's history. I tried an ED combo over at GC over the weekend and it sounded bad. Just didn't sound right. Not as much gain (of course I checked the gain trim). Just really didn't sound that good. If mine had sounded like that i would have never bought it. I think it probably has a weak tube but not so bad that someone would immediately think something was wrong.

I really appreciate you caling and getting some info. I called too to see what options were available. The Lonestar head was not mentioned but I could put the ED amp in upside down in the head shell if I wanted to. For about the same price as the Lonestar head. I think the ED head looks nicer but the Lonestar may be the way to go.....thanks again for calling and sharing!

Yeah I actually brought up the Lonestar headshell to them. When I mentioned it he was like, " you know, that might work. I'll call you right back". 20 minutes later he called back and said yup, it will fit.

Excellent call Joey B!

If I do the conversion, I would definately go Lonestar Head cab before I would put the combo in upsidedown. While I like the ED head look more then the Lonestar, I prefer the Lonestar with the writing right side up rather then the ED head with the writing upside down.

But I haven't decided yet. I think in the end I will most likely go with a head, I just don't know if I will sell my combo to get it or just convert it.

Latest posts

Back