Head is screwed. Great

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prsman88

Reaction score
So um, yea my head won't even turn on. I went to check the tube sockets to see if the drop effected them

2 6l6 and both rectifier tubes had the black pins (thick one in the middle between the silver pins that go in the socket) yea the black pins were broken....

i tried the 2 6l6's in their sockets, threw it on standby and powered it up. all 6l6 lit up so i was like ok, the black things must just be there for whatever reason..

then i tried the rectifier tubes (ON DIODE MODE) amp was off when i put them in, put them in, tried to flick the amp on, lights flicked in the room. No power...

Thoughts?

Blown Fuse?
Fried Circuit Board?

it freaking sucks. taking it to a tech tomorrow or tuesday

My guess is that the recto tubes are fucked, and thus, blew your fuse, which turns your amp off.

Either way, if you dropped your head? Take it to a tech man. So much stuff could be wrong when you drop it, there's no way to tell.

prsman88 said:
2 6l6 and both rectifier tubes had the black pins (thick one in the middle between the silver pins that go in the socket) yea the black pins were broken....

i tried the 2 6l6's in their sockets, threw it on standby and powered it up. all 6l6 lit up so i was like ok, the black things must just be there for whatever reason..

Those "black pins" are there to align the tube correctly. They are not there, as you put it, "for whatever reason". You just can't apply any voltage you want to any pin - the right pin has to get the right voltage... Get it?

If you look at a pic of a tube socket (shown below), you see the center hole (i.e. where the "black pin" is supposed to go) is notched so you can align the tube correctly.

ts8-chunky.JPG

My guess is when you put the tubes back in, you did not have them aligned correctly.

Hence, you fried you amp and most likely did more damage to the amp than the drop did.

At this point, you will have take the amp in to get serviced.

How high was the amp when it was dropped?

zeeman

It was off of my cabinet.

My statement was in fact not a statement, lol, as far as them (the black center pins) being there for no reason because I had no evidence to support the reasoning i made.

I reasoned in that moment that they were there for a reason but to my knowledge didn't effect the amp. i didn't consider the fact that they were there for alignment. (again thats my mistake)

i understand now that you've explained the purpose of them WHY that center piece is there, thus showing me that i probably did put it in without it being aligned correctly.

moreover, Zeeman you're probably right about the cause of it not turning on.

Now, any idea the extent of the damage based on that?

thank you

p.s. i can "knowingly" say that the drop was not the cause of the amp not firing up. (again the title is wrong, but i didn't fully understand the purpose and function of the pins and middle black pin of the tubes.

after all i dropped the amp before our set, i played the amp on 50 watts (the 2 center tubes didn't break) during the set, took it home, accessed the damages.

i must of lucked up on the power tubes because i put 2 in without the black things and turned it on, both times the amp fired up, the tubes glowed, yada yada...

therefore, i can only reason (based on your information) that the improperly installed rectifer tube/s is the cause of the damage.

So the height of the drop is in fact irrelevant.

Thanks again.
Sorry if i come across as being a know it all or idiot by my previous statement that was corrected, it was made out of ignorance. now i understand the problem.

prsman88 said:
i must of lucked up on the power tubes because i put 2 in without the black things and turned it on, both times the amp fired up, the tubes glowed, yada yada...

Yes it is possible that you were lucky. You may have a little stub of the power tube "black pin" that was just tall enough to allow you to align them up correctly.

When you say the tubes glowed... Did you actually take the amp out of standby and play? Or did you just turn the amp on for a second or two and saw them glow then turn off the amp?

Without getting into all of the technical details (its 1:30AM and I am very tired)...

It is possible to have the tubes mis-aligned and have them glow. You will have some voltages on the pins, but they will not be the right voltages because...

1) You have the tubes mis-aligned... and/or
2) When you take the amp out of stand by, that is when you actually applied the large DC voltages to the power tubes and it would be clear if you have them aligned correctly.

To be honest, I can't guess as to they kind of damage that was done to the amp. For sure, you will have a few resistors and/or capacitors burn out. There could have been some arcing and that could have damaged your tube sockets.

I doubt that you did any "serious" damage to the amp (i.e. fried output transformer, etc.) but without looking at the amp, seeing what/how the tubes were mis-aligned, etc. I can't be 100% certain.

Good luck and keep us posted.

zeeman

Good luck, man. Bet you were crapping bricks when that thing fell. Let me know if me and my guys can do anything for you - we're already prayin'!

Latest posts

Back