Have you guys heard of a Studio Series?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanna b oogie

Reaction score
I saw this amp on ebay
://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/bf/20/5f_2.JPG
I can't find it on the MB website, I was wondering if anyone knew of it.
Does it have Vintage/Modern Gain, is it 2 or 3 channel.
Thanks

let me try that again
5f_2.JPG

That looks like a Studio 22+. These amps sound like the Mark series so I guess I would call it a 2 channel vintage cascading gain amp.

The 22 means that it is a 22 watter driven with EL-84's. The plus means it has the graphic EQ.

I always thought about getting one of these as a grab and go combo for rehearsals... never did though.

chedgeco... 8)

The studio 22 is one channel, like a Mark 1. They can be very clean or very, very high gain. You can not change settings on the fly.

They are in hundreds of studios, hence the name, very nice, get a nice warm tone without tons of volume, but they can get pretty loud.

If you only want one channel and change sounds by changing pickups, or pedals, they are fantastic.

Thanks for the ID and info! I think I am more interested in something like the Rocket 44, does anyone have any input on that one? I know it is two channel.

The Rocket 44 is very similar to the later DC 5's and the newer F30's

The DC's and the F series have two sets of tone controls with seperate gain and masters. The Rockets have one set of tone controls for both channels, seperate gains and masters for each channel. They have the contour mode just like the F series.

I loved my Subway rocket, and the 44 is a larger version of it. The loack of seperate tone controls drives some guys nuts.

I owned a Studio 22 for years - without the EQ. I put an EVM12L in it and used a V-twin - it sounded great! Had an awesome clean tone! Originally bought it to run stereo with a Mark IV I had. I would put both on amp stands facing back at me during shows, used an Alesis Quadraverb for effects and a Stienberger GTM4 and it was Awesome! Real faaaaat!

To answer the original question, in late 1985 they made a handful of amps with the Studio Series name, and then changed the name to Studio .22. The circuit board on the Studio Series actually has ".22 Caliber" etched into the copper, so I'm not really sure why the different name. The Studio Series came with or without the 5-band EQ.

Here is a photo of mine:
http://raktron.com/studio/StudioSeries3.jpg

These amps have amazing tone, and I don't think I'll ever sell mine. If you have one, be sure resistor R131 has been replaced with a 1k, 2 watt. If you don't have one, buy one if you can find it. They are usually underpriced because people are afraid of only having 22 watts. If you've ever played with one, you'll know it's loud enough to make you go deaf.

Latest posts

Back