Has anyone traded their Mark V In for a Dual or Triple Rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've owned my mark v for a few years now. I recently bought a rectoverb 25 head which I'm loving the dirty channel just sounds awesome. I find the dual rec's have more saturation which is what i like to hear when playing. As I play in a covers band I need a bit of power behind me and although I've not tried the rectoverb in the band yet I thought it might be lacking in wattage department.

I thought it might be time to trade in the mark v for a dual or triple rectifier. Don't get me wrong the mark v is an awesome amp but I sometimes find it lacks a bit of saturation compared to the rectoverb 25 and the dual recs. I'm not really a metal player but I do like to play a bit of Metallica now and again. And I do need to cover a lot of tones being in a cover band as well.

I guess my question is has anyone traded their mark v in for another boogie that they prefer? Every time I play the rectoverb 25 and then switch to the mark v I end up liking the rectoverb even more.

Thanks in advance

Paul

I haven't traded in any amps but... I've own a dual recto for a while and a few months ago got a good deal on a Mark V. Don't get me wrong I love the Mark and I think it's great to have many sounds available but I think I may prefer my Recto. It just sounds more "powerful".

firmani99 said:
I haven't traded in any amps but... I've own a dual recto for a while and a few months ago got a good deal on a Mark V. Don't get me wrong I love the Mark and I think it's great to have many sounds available but I think I may prefer my Recto. It just sounds more "powerful".

That's exactly what I thought. I owned a road king before my mark v and I gotta say I prefer the sound of that to the mark v. The mark v just seems not to saturate as much and seems well cleaner of you like.

I think I'm gonna have to go and try a dual rec and sell or trade in my mark v. I've been thinking of doing this for while now but always put it off. One thing I've noticed is you can get a 2nd hand dual rec for a decent price nowadays. I'm not sure how much I'd get for my mark v though.

paulg2uk said:
Don't get me wrong the mark v is an awesome amp but I sometimes find it lacks a bit of saturation compared to the rectoverb 25 and the dual recs. I'm not really a metal player but I do like to play a bit of Metallica now and again. And I do need to cover a lot of tones being in a cover band as well.

I guess my question is has anyone traded their mark v in for another boogie that they prefer? Every time I play the rectoverb 25 and then switch to the mark v I end up liking the rectoverb even more.

Nothing wrong with preferring the Recto tone over the Mark. However...

The amp you describe (lots of different sounds in a cover band, not really metal) really suggests a Mark rather than a Rectoverb to me. If you did the switch, you would lose a lot in versatility. Also, you could be disappointed with the lead sounds you get from a Rectoverb (compared to a Mark). Pretty much the only advantage a Rectoverb would have over your Mark is the Recto distortion. Of course if that is the key issue...

A Reborn Dual would be better than a Single in the versatility department but still no match for your Mark. If you really need the versatility (and must have the Recto tone), the Roadster would be a better option.

Somehow, I have a slight suspicion that you haven't fully explored what your Mark V can do for you. It most certainly can do saturated distortion, metal and Metallica, without an external boost. There's just a few tricks you need to use to get there - most importantly, a) using the Treble pot as a treble/gain boost, and b) shaping the overall tone with the GEQ. If you still need more, try an OD and different tubes.

Or you could do it like I have: separate amps for the Recto tones and the Mark tones.

LesPaul70 said:
paulg2uk said:
Don't get me wrong the mark v is an awesome amp but I sometimes find it lacks a bit of saturation compared to the rectoverb 25 and the dual recs. I'm not really a metal player but I do like to play a bit of Metallica now and again. And I do need to cover a lot of tones being in a cover band as well.

Nothing wrong with preferring the Recto tone over the Mark. However...

The amp you describe (lots of different sounds in a cover band, not really metal) really suggests a Mark rather than a Rectoverb to me. If you did the switch, you would lose a lot in versatility. Also, you could be disappointed with the lead sounds you get from a Rectoverb (compared to a Mark). Pretty much the only advantage a Rectoverb would have over your Mark is the Recto distortion. Of course if that is the key issue...

A Reborn Dual would be better than a Single in the versatility department but still no match for your Mark. If you really need the versatility (and must have the Recto tone), the Roadster would be a better option.

Somehow, I have a slight suspicion that you haven't fully explored what your Mark V can do for you. It most certainly can do saturated distortion, metal and Metallica, without an external boost. There's just a few tricks you need to use to get there - most importantly, a) using the Treble pot as a treble/gain boost, and b) shaping the overall tone with the GEQ. If you still need more, try an OD and different tubes.

Or you could do it like I have: separate amps for the Recto tones and the Mark tones.

Thanks for the comments. I've had the mark v for around 2-3 years now and I agree it is a very versatile amp. However since playing the rectoverb I find I'm getting lets say a better tone that suits me. I think the recto sound is a little more rounded to my ears and more smooth. The mark v sounds more cleaner to my ears and less saturated compared to the recto sound. The mark v can indeed get a saturated sound but compared to the rectos not so much I find.

My very first boogie was a tremoverb then I had a road king, road king 2, mark v and now I've just bought the rectoverb after selling my mini rec. So really the majority of amps I've had over the years have all been rectos of some sort except the mark v of course. I think its something you feel when you are playing. I had the same feeling changing amps when I switch to the mark v after playing rectos for so long. I'm gonna go and try a dual rec over the weekend and see how I get on. I think I've made my mind up already though lol.

Mark V LESS saturated than a Recto? Funny, I find the opposite to be true. The Mark V tends to have way more gain but it's also more of a thicker / grainy tone whereas the Recto is wider and chunkier with a more complex tone kind of like a chainsaw.

I much prefer the feel of a Mark V but rectos just sound badass!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XxPKrt5i-M

YellowJacket said:
Mark V LESS saturated than a Recto? Funny, I find the opposite to be true. The Mark V tends to have way more gain but it's also more of a thicker / grainy tone whereas the Recto is wider and chunkier with a more complex tone kind of like a chainsaw.

I much prefer the feel of a Mark V but rectos just sound badass!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XxPKrt5i-M

Everyone is different I suppose. I don't know what it is all I know is I plugged my rectoverb 25 in to my rig the same way I did my mark v and something just felt right with the rectoverb. I just got a great sound straight away. When I plugged the mark v in again I found myself tweaking my settings I'd had set for ages. I couldn't quite figure out what I was missing. The sound in my head I suppose lol

That's ok, it just goes to show that you're a "Recto person", not a "Mark person".

Actually, I can perfectly understand where you're coming. I used to think of the Mark series sound as the perfect Mesa distortion...until I had a chance to try a friend's Dual Rectifier in the mid-1990s. (It was a Tremoverb 2x12 by the way.) It sounded just as good as a Mark to me...just more wicked and powerful. Like a Mark on steroids from hell!

These days I appreciate both. For different uses.

As for the saturation, I think it can mean slightly different things for different people. I too feel that Rectos have more 'saturation' than a Mark V (I have both). It's not that the Mark lacks any saturation - the Mark IV mode on channel 3 has more than you can shake a stick at - but its quality is somehow 'drier' than that of a Rectifier, which can make people like feel that there's less overall (perceived) saturation.

I think it's a waste of time trying to make an apple taste like an orange when you really want an orange. Go with the Recto and have fun! :D

LesPaul70 said:
That's ok, it just goes to show that you're a "Recto person", not a "Mark person".

Actually, I can perfectly understand where you're coming. I used to think of the Mark series sound as the perfect Mesa distortion...until I had a chance to try a friend's Dual Rectifier in the mid-1990s. (It was a Tremoverb 2x12 by the way.) It sounded just as good as a Mark to me...just more wicked and powerful. Like a Mark on steroids from hell!

These days I appreciate both. For different uses.

As for the saturation, I think it can mean slightly different things for different people. I too feel that Rectos have more 'saturation' than a Mark V (I have both). It's not that the Mark lacks any saturation - the Mark IV mode on channel 3 has more than you can shake a stick at - but its quality is somehow 'drier' than that of a Rectifier, which can make people like feel that there's less overall (perceived) saturation.

I think it's a waste of time trying to make an apple taste like an orange when you really want an orange. Go with the Recto and have fun! :D

Thanks for the comments. You hit the nail right on the head there and I do set chan 3 on the mark v to the mark IV setting and it definitely sounds a lot drier. Its funny how I've never realised this before I guess getting the rectoverb has made me seen the light lol

Well I'm trying a dual rec at the weekend so we shall see. I'll know as soon as I hit the first chord lol

There's an area that hasn't been discussed. When i traded my bogner shiva for a Mark V, I was a bit worried i made the wrong choice. The V sounded...hmmm how would you say it? Less punch and boingy sounding. I compared it to my mark iv and the IV had more organic feel to it. I later swapped out the power tubes on the V for NOS instead of the inferior chinese brand. The V sounded just aweseome! I later realized that the power tubes on the IV were from the 90 made and as well as my old triple rec. It's a difference maker! I would strongly suggest getting some Winged C or NOS power tubes before you make the switch or even use the 90's power tubes to hear the difference and then judge for yourself. I love the V and plan to keep it. I sold my 90's triplerec and have no regrets.

As they say. Different strokes for different folks

SonVolt said:
You mention Metallica but Hetfields tone IS the Mark tone.

Yes, but in fairness, his guitar sound on the studio albums has been heavily equalized and at least double or triple tracked, or umpteen tracked, and with other amps mixed in. As a result, the sound is far from what a single Mark sounds like - the rhythm guitar sound you hear on many black album songs can be more easily approximated with a Dual Rectifier than with a single Mark amplifier.

Perhaps the closest you get to the pure IIc+ sound on a studio album is the 1980s Garage Days Re-Revisited EP. Then Master of Puppets. But you need an EQ in the loop.

I agree. Hetfield did use the mark sound on the early albums. But take a look at what he's using nowadays. Boogie triaxis customised in stereo with the diezel stuff. is it a mark sound? possibly. Same with Hammett, dual rectifier in stereo with his signature Randall amps. Sounds killer to me. And they both get a really nice clean tone as well.

Just get the Rectifier. It seems you've already made your decision. :lol:

Unlike many people, I consider that Rectos can be very good lead amps. They are just more difficult to dial in compared to Marks and rather picky on the guitars they are used together with. Only real drawback I find with Rectos is that they have to be turner very loud (MV +11 o'clock) to submit the lead tone and feel I prefer (YMMV). If that's not possible, which is very likely scenario in most of the situations, EQ in loop with mild inversed smileyface should do the job for bringing out some extra mids and killing some unnecessary highs/lows.

If you have hot pups with nice full mids, you're pretty much good to go without any boost pedals. This especially with the Reborn models. On the otherhand, if you use low output pups as I do, you might want to consider using at least mild clean boost to hit the frontend of the amp a bit.

The thing I like with the Reborn Rectos (including Roadking/Roadster models) is that I can setup 50w w/tube rectifier for the lead channel for earlier brake up/added warmth and 100w w/silicon diode for tight rhythm tone.

There are also some qualities with Rectos that I don't like with leads hence I've modded mine slightly to increase the attack and mids. But practically you should get similar results with a boost pedal.

Shemham said:
Just get the Rectifier. It seems you've already made your decision. :lol:

Unlike many people, I consider that Rectos can be very good lead amps. They are just more difficult to dial in compared to Marks and rather picky on the guitars they are used together with. Only real drawback I find with Rectos is that they have to be turner very loud (MV +11 o'clock) to submit the lead tone and feel I prefer (YMMV). If that's not possible, which is very likely scenario in most of the situations, EQ in loop with mild inversed smileyface should do the job for bringing out some extra mids and killing some unnecessary highs/lows.

If you have hot pups with nice full mids, you're pretty much good to go without any boost pedals. This especially with the Reborn models. On the otherhand, if you use low output pups as I do, you might want to consider using at least mild clean boost to hit the frontend of the amp a bit.

The thing I like with the Reborn Rectos (including Roadking/Roadster models) is that I can setup 50w w/tube rectifier for the lead channel for earlier brake up/added warmth and 100w w/silicon diode for tight rhythm tone.

There are also some qualities with Rectos that I don't like with leads hence I've modded mine slightly to increase the attack and mids. But practically you should get similar results with a boost pedal.

Thanks for the advice. I use pretty much medium to hot pickups. I have a PRS P22 Trem which an excellent guitar but my main guitar is a les paul which I have a collectors choice kossoff model which is great for rock stuff and also I have recently put an EMG het set in my other les paul. So medium to hot really.

If the dual rec sounds as good as my little rectoverb (and I'm sure it will) then that's half the battle and that thing wasn't cranked at all just on the 10 watt setting. That's what made me think of the dual recs because I can choose between 50 to 100 watts. Although everything on my mark v is set to 90 watts.

Boost wise I'll either use the dual recs solo control or my TC g systems boost. I'm trying to keep things easy to change over between the 2 heads that way I won't have to alter any midi settings in the g sys. Not that there's much to change. The solo feature on the boogies is a fantastic idea and I'm starting to appreciate using it now that I'm not so much. Boosting the signal with the g system is one thing but when you kick the solo control on it takes you to another level.

How much db do you think the solo control boosts by? 6db maybe?

paulg2uk said:
How much db do you think the solo control boosts by? 6db maybe?
You choose basically. You have a 2nd volume control for solo. So really, you could use "solo" to lower the volume if you truly wanted... not sure anyone uses it that way though.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but have considered the Roadster? I had a Triple Rec but got sick of not having a good clean channel, went to Rect-o-verb 50 after that but didn't like the gain channel as much, and finally settled on a Dual Rec Roadster. I can't sing enough praises for that head. It's a keeper for sure. If you're OK with pre-owned, I only paid $1250 for mine from GuitarCenter.com's Used Equipment page on their site; mint condition. Even came with a Gator Road Case. I've been really surprised by the deals they got on there. Just make sure you call the store and ask about the condition.

I've not considered a Roadster they are hard to find over here in the UK. There is one up for sale here http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=06080216353529

But its quite expensive same price as the mark v over here. I thought it was similar to the tremoverb? I had one of those a long time ago.

So you reckon the clean chan on the dual and triple recs aren't that good? That's definitely a selling point to me if it hasn't got a great clean tone I'm not interested. Anyone dual rec owners here care to chime in?

From what I've heard, the dual and triple clean channels are very similar. In my experience with my Triple, the clean always sounded somewhat "shrill" and lifeless. Maybe that's a little harsh, but I like to play blues from time to time, so getting those full-bodied clean tones was really important to me. I could never get that with a Triple. I used to actually take a 2nd head, a MusicMan HD-130, and use that for my clean tone at gigs. I read a lot of pages, trying to find a good clean tone for the Triple, and found may Triple (and Dual) owners in agreement that the clean tone wasn't much to write home about on those heads. Everyone has a different taste though, so maybe you'd disagree with me.

The Roadster actually uses the circuitry of the Loan Star for the clean channel supposedly. I've never heard a Loan Star so I can't say how similar it sounds to the original, but I can say that it sounds amazing nonetheless. Roadster basically gives you that awesome Rectifier gain in Channel 4 with the addition of amazing clean in Channel 1. Plus, you have 2 more channels to play with beyond that to get all kinds of other clean and dirty tones. I've always had a love of Mesa amps, but the Roadster has been the most versatile head I've owned by far.

kyldh said:
From what I've heard, the dual and triple clean channels are very similar. In my experience with my Triple, the clean always sounded somewhat "shrill" and lifeless. Maybe that's a little harsh, but I like to play blues from time to time, so getting those full-bodied clean tones was really important to me. I could never get that with a Triple. I used to actually take a 2nd head, a MusicMan HD-130, and use that for my clean tone at gigs. I read a lot of pages, trying to find a good clean tone for the Triple, and found may Triple (and Dual) owners in agreement that the clean tone wasn't much to write home about on those heads. Everyone has a different taste though, so maybe you'd disagree with me.

The Roadster actually uses the circuitry of the Loan Star for the clean channel supposedly. I've never heard a Loan Star so I can't say how similar it sounds to the original, but I can say that it sounds amazing nonetheless. Roadster basically gives you that awesome Rectifier gain in Channel 4 with the addition of amazing clean in Channel 1. Plus, you have 2 more channels to play with beyond that to get all kinds of other clean and dirty tones. I've always had a love of Mesa amps, but the Roadster has been the most versatile head I've owned by far.

That's interesting. I used to have a road king 1 and 2 and the clean chan in those was pretty good. Its a different amp though and I think those had the lonestar circuit as well. The 2 did anyway. I'm sure I read or heard somewhere that the new multi watt dual and triple recs had a more lonestar voiced clean chan as well. I might be wrong on that.

Back