Has anyone nailed the "Brown Sound" with a Stilett

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abe

Reaction score
I'm not one to try and sound just like someone, but I always wanted to nail that early VH sound, like the gainier sound from the 1st VH album.

I know that most of it is in the hands, and I would most likely need to use more gain, but does anyone have any takes on trying to get there?

I tried the "Brown Crunch" in the owners manual, but didn't think that did it, but I only tried it at low volume. The harmonic overtones in the fluid drive mode seemed to bring it closer, but I thought it was too much gain

I know it's in there somewhere.....

You have to use channel one's crunch mode and either crank the piss out of the volume or use a clean boost pedal. :)

Here's a couple of things I've learned about EVH's Brown Sound.

He hand wired his own pick-ups and only wired in a volume. Save that for later...

He cranked his amp as hard as he could and then used an attenuator.

He controlled the overall output volume with the volume on his guitar.

The pickups that he used to hand wire were usually stock Gibson's.

VH2 was supposedly recorded almost entirely with the Black and yellow explorer from the back cover. Oddly enough, It was also the one buried with Dimebag.

Try the new 5150 III amp that Fender just released, put an MXR EVH Phaser in front of it. For kicks buy the Frankenstrat Replica guitar. That should get you close..........

oh.....and as for the Stiletto........crank it with a clean boost and you can sound just like EVH from 1986's " Talk Dirty To Me" (.........kidding, kidding...no one wants to sound like CC Deville.........)

stompboxfreak72 said:
Try the new 5150 III amp that Fender just released, put an MXR EVH Phaser in front of it. For kicks buy the Frankenstrat Replica guitar. That should get you close..........

oh.....and as for the Stiletto........crank it with a clean boost and you can sound just like EVH from 1986's " Talk Dirty To Me" (.........kidding, kidding...no one wants to sound like CC Deville.........)

**** dude, you actually got me to go to Fender's web-site and look for a 5150 III. I knew he had ended his relationship w/ Peavey.

Good one!

Jak0lantern01 said:
What exactly is this 'brown sound' I keep reading about?

Boy does that make me feel old! Next thing that I'll hear is that my mullet is out of style, and having just a moustache isn't cool any more

...check it out..accord. to some of the more recent interviews with ed, he has shot down most,if not all, of the fabled "brown sound" legends-he has said the variac,the jose mod,etc..were all just "red herrings"
-most interesting to me is the fact that the PAF pup in his Frankenstein didnt even register on an ohms meter when the dude that painstakenly recreated it pulled it out....poor guy!!thought he had kilt it!!amazingly, they re-installed and it played as usual..tech, it should be dead....
- he just fked with the stuff until it was what HE wanted...that is what makes it so one of a kind unique,methinks :wink:

I am in trouble! I tried a Stilletto Duece head today through my Recto vertical 2x12 with a 2007' MM JP6 and it sounded awesome. Not the VH "brown" sound, but better IMO. I was playing some old ACDC covers, some hard rock, and some fusion stuff....The Stilletto would be a perfect compliment to my MKIV...... 8)

I got a pretty good 'brown sound' from the RK Series I. 2 EL34s, tube rectifier, spongy, and I think Pentode, or whatever option was for lower wattage.

I've also heard some really good EVH ish clips with an old JCM 800, one power tube, and maxed volume. It was very, very good. If it doesn't fry the Stilleto, it should work the same.

stompboxfreak72 said:

It'll get you close, alright: close to broke! :lol:

I actually think you can get that tone the best in Fluid Drive (with gain below 12:00, depending on pickup output), Spongy power setting and Diode on. I couldn't really hear it in Crunch mode and I came across this review and used his settings.

"Swapping guitars one last time – this time the PRS replacing the Ibanez – we ventured forth into the Ace’s final voicing, Fluid Drive. This mode is the darkest and highest gain of all the options, and it is aptly named. Both the sound and the feel of Fluid Drive is very liquid. Those players looking to shred will find this mode’s elastic compression, over-abundance of gain, and lush harmonic spectrum an ideal vehicle for expressing those many hours spent woodshedding their chops.

Not reserved for virtuoso chops alone, Fluid Drive makes emotive, sustaining, single note lines sing with an addictive vocal quality. Setting the power section to Bold and the rectifier to Diode brought forth a lightning fast response that kept quick alternate-picked single-note lines articulate, and double-stops and power chords tight and urgent.

Switching to Spongy yielded a browner sound that will instantly put a smile on the face of anyone who is a fan of the ultra-modded (ala Jose Arredondo and others) Marshall sound that once populated LA’s club scene the way that mouse ears populate Disneyland."

For the whole review:
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0806_MesaBoogieStilettoAce.php

I agree. I think the Stilleto Ace dials in the brown sound much easier. I tried the combos and the 4x12, and the 4x12 definitely gets you closer to the early EVH sound. That's physics for ya'

It seems as though you would be able to dial in the same tone on the Stilleto II. Haven't tried that yet.

Latest posts

Back