Has anyone built a head cab for their RoV combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachjammer

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm wanting to go to a head/cab setup instead of a combo. I'm thinking about just making a regular 3/4 back cab out of my Rectoverb combo and building/having someone build, a cab to put the amp section in and make a head out of it. Does anyone have any suggestions besides just selling it and buying a head and cab?

Actually, the 3/4 back cab and the RoV combo are the exact same size because the combo is designed around the 3/4 back cab. The combo just has the amp chassis at the top so the grill is not as tall and the speaker is a little lower. No cutting down is necessary. It's just rebuilding the inside of the combo and creating the headshell really...

Maybe some useful stuff on this thread.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=29041&highlight=

I wouldn't dream of cutting the combo cab down. All that is required to do the change is to make a new speaker baffle and get some grill cloth. It'd be very easy to do and very easy to convert back as I wouldn't mess with the original construction. My main question I guess is if anyone has built a head cab for the chasis.

plan-x said:
Maybe some useful stuff on this thread.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=29041&highlight=

I saw several good ideas! I'd definately go with having the controls upright and not upside down.

You are right. I took it all apart and although the baffle doesn't appear that it can be removed the grill can. There's 6 screws holding in the frame that the grill cloth is attached to coming from the inside of the baffle board. I could build another frame and put the grill cloth on it but after taking it all apart I think that I'm gonna build a insert that will attach from the inside and tolex it. It'll look similar to the Lonestar 1x12 cabs like this:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/LONESTARcabs/LS1x12-23-LG.htm

It should be very simple to do and easily reversable. Now all I have to do is round up a cab for the amp section.

gts said:
MusicManJP6 said:
Actually, the 3/4 back cab and the RoV combo are the exact same size because the combo is designed around the 3/4 back cab. The combo just has the amp chassis at the top so the grill is not as tall and the speaker is a little lower. No cutting down is necessary. It's just rebuilding the inside of the combo and creating the headshell really...

Got any pics of the inside of the combo?

It could be as easy as plan-x says in that thread and the other thread linked from it. Just fill the top of the combo with a blank panel where the chasis sits making it a speaker cab.

A headshell looks easy enough to make, for the most part it appears to be a square box (no slant front like on the mark series).

I know that Ed DeGenaro (huge racks forum, rig-talk) had Mesa build him a head box, and it was the same kind of box a Jazz Chorus head is. I actually made myself a 1x12" cab from my old Marshall 5210. I just put a panel in the front to cover the hole from the amp control panel, and bought a new plywood back that was more 15/16 than 3/4-back :) I`ve used it under many an amp head, and with an EVM, it sounds ALMOST as big as a 2x12.. Well, bigger than my old 1936 cab, but not as big as my old Soldano :)

Latest posts

Back