Has anybody realized that Studio Cal's have transistors in t

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O==00==O

Reaction score
the signal path??? I'm appalled. After the reverb circuit, and before the FX Send / FX Retrun buffer tube which has the Output Level volume at the end of it. ****. I am thinking about ripping that crap out, but I have no idea what the circuit would need to compensate for removal. I suppose I could just simply jumper from the Masters to the FX Return tube input prior to the 470 Ohm grid resistor?

Yes, the GEQ in all Mesa Amps is transistor driven. It's a known fact. I haven't heard anyone complain about it though. The built in EQ is of better design than any pedal on the market. with it's mil-spec inductors and etc.

OK, but I'm not talking about the Graphic EQ. It's a buffer for the FX loop I guess. It is always in the signal path whether you are using the FX Loop or not. I'm going to bypass it and see how it sounds. Easy, reversible mod. I'll probably end up replace some coupling caps and cathode bypass caps to attain the results I want.

Hey, HOWEVER... I was just googling "mojo module" as in the Blue Angel and several other amps, and it turn out that the mojo module is this transistor circuit encapsulated in epoxy to hide the transistors. It is, apparently/supposedly, the GEQ section set to flat, like on some amps which have the true-bypass ability of the GEQ. I guess the amps sound better with the EQ on, set flat, than with it completely bypassed. That's what I'm reading, and it sounds legit. I did trust the amp designers at Mesa to do what's best, but I think I might remove some small filter caps or change values.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-316863.html
by John Phillips
Inside the Blue Angel, in the circuit position where the Graphic EQ would be on a Mark series or a Dual Caliber, there is a resin-encapsulated circuit called the 'Mojo Module' by Mesa.

There is a good reason they're so secretive about it.

It is a Graphic EQ unit, set to flat response. Why? Because it makes those Mark and Dual Caliber series amps sound better. So why the secrecy?

Because it contains four TRANSISTORS :eek:.

The transistors don't distort, so they don't impart anything nasty to the sound, but they are in the signal path at all times.

Transistors used to improve the sound of an 'all-tube' amp? NO!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

But it's true, and they do.

No doubt this will put the purists and Mesa haters off even more. Sorry... :(

transistors aren't necessarily bad, why are you so upset about it? For some applications they are even better than tubes - less noise, less heat, less current draw. If used wisely, in places when you're positive they won't be overdriven, they won't do any harm to the tone. Buffers is one of the applications they do just fine...also, first gain stage/fx recovery stage is a good candidate because it doesn't get overdriven and low noise is important.
cheers

bancika said:
transistors aren't necessarily bad, why are you so upset about it? For some applications they are even better than tubes - less noise, less heat, less current draw. If used wisely, in places when you're positive they won't be overdriven, they won't do any harm to the tone. Buffers is one of the applications they do just fine...also, first gain stage/fx recovery stage is a good candidate because it doesn't get overdriven and low noise is important.
cheers

I was just like in a shock when I saw that, but for no very valid line of reasoning, including the fact that Mesa uses all types of solid state electronics in their amps, but not limited to the fact that I have a Fulltone OCD pedal plugged in front of the amp....

anyway, I just spent all night modding my amp and cleaning up some failed attempt by somebody to bias their amp... They clearly didn't know how to read resistor codes, or solder. I am very pleased with myself right now :) Later, I am going to wire up a toggle switch that bypasses the transistor section to A?B the difference in tone it makes.

The reverb in the F Series amps (and some others) is transistor driven.

At least they're not using a bunch of op-amps and clipping diodes like a lot of other amps.

I barely consider my bandmate's JCM900 to be a tube amp. It's more of a hybrid.

I know this doesn't matter to a lot of folks and they'll say that we use overdrive pedals with op-amps and clipping diodes (I don't, btw). Even though I might not even be able to hear the difference, it matters to me.

Don said:

At least they're not using a bunch of op-amps and clipping diodes like a lot of other amps.

I know this doesn't matter to a lot of folks and they'll say that we use overdrive pedals with op-amps and clipping diodes (I don't, btw). Even though I might not even be able to hear the difference, it matters to me.

:lol: @ JCM 900.

Yeah man, it's the idea that you're buying a high-end tube amp, and to have other, less-than-tube amplifiers in the signal path is a bit like a girl with fake boobs.

I love fake boobs! especially on hot older women, or hot *** tiny asian chicks. I'm ok with the transistors too... my amp sounds great.
scott

zodiac272 said:
I'm ok with the transistors too... my amp sounds great.
scott

That's an easy thing to forget in these discussions- how's it sound! That's the most important thing.

Don said:

Actually, the reverb in the F-Series and Nomad Series is OP Amp driven. I'm fine with that, as OP amps are among the best of solid-state amplifiers. They are very close to tubes in fidelity, tone, and setup. That's why they're used in all Ibanez Tube Screamers.

There are NO solid-state electronics in the signal path of a Mark Series, or Caliber Series amp, except for the EQ circuit, and the LDR switches. The FX Buffer in these amps is one half of a 12AX7. I don't see why you are so concerned about this. If you are, go buy a Mark IIB or A where the EQ is bypassable. From the IIC onward, the EQ is in the signal path all the time, but it's ground is controlled by an LDR.

zodiac272 said:
I love fake boobs! especially on hot older women, or hot *** tiny asian chicks. I'm ok with the transistors too... my amp sounds great.
scott

Well there you go... the guy who likes old women with fake boobs thinks it sounds great......... :mrgreen:

It's ok... take my words out of context, misquote, and question my taste. You just might be the only guy on the boogie board to start a thread about mesa's having transistors in them. I've read almost every post in the mark/vintage amp section (too much free time), and i believe yours was the first on this subject. If the guys at mesa think transistors are the best, most cost effective option then so be it. I'm far from a guitar hero, but I can play well, and I'm very happy with what my Mk IIC+ puts out, and my quad/2:90 setup isn't too bad either. If you want to bypass the transistors as an experiment to prove you know more than others about amps go ahead. When you finish do a blind A/B of yours and another studio cal, and check the tonal differences. I'm gonna guess it won't be much, if anything. I don't think anybody is going to mod their amps to bypass the transistors, especially when most of us have solid state electronics somewhere else in the chain. I also think that most guys would be into the 42 to 47 year old woman that works out all the time taking care of her body, and has fabe boobs. She is someone who wants to please men.

O==00==O said:
zodiac272 said:
scott

Well there you go... the guy who likes old women with fake boobs thinks it sounds great......... :mrgreen:
Actually, fake boobs DO sound good.
They have a unique resonance when performing the "motorboat". :lol:

Yeah, but when motor boating, you have to take care while "tweaking" the two tone controls for bass and treble, otherwise it's too farty or too much like ice picks. but yes, you are right, fake boobs sound at least as good as transistors. I think they actually fall into the category of silicon diode semiconductors.

I guess nobody realizes there are OpAmps in the signal path of the.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Electrodyne..........

If none of you have realized it yet, I was more shocked that the Studio Caliber had transisters in it because
A) it doesn't have a graphic EQ, and
B) it's a lower-end model, and more components means higher price tag, although I knew the recording circuit had to have some sort of solid state amplifiers in the circuit

A) some mesa amps have the EQ circuit without the sliders, like contour control on the express amps.
B) those transistors cost less than 1$ retailed :) The most expensive part of the EQ are sliders and inductors. By eliminating sliders they cut the cost roughly to half.

Latest posts

Back