Half open back cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenzo_8

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to get a mesa cabinet but need advise to do the right choice:

1)trade Mesa 2x12 half-back Cel/Vntg with my Marshall 1960bv

2)trade (plus 100$) Mesa 4x12 half-back top V30, bottom Black Shadow with my Marshall 1960bv

3)sell a kidney and buy Mesa 4x12 half-back top Black Shadow, bottom ElectroVoice.

I never tried any of those and wont have the chance before buying. I have tried though Marshall's with V30s and liked them but not very much.

bye

I'd get a halfback with all ev's. so sell a kidney, it'll be worth it in the end.

You can always add EV speakers later. I bought a 2X12 half back cab that came with celestion/vintage speakers and changed out the vintage for an EV. I am planning to buy another EV for the top.

I like the 212's because the bottom speaker is ported and they have a lot of real estate inside compared to the 412's. 2 212 cabs would probably sound awesome.

Greg

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Do you have all three scenarios lined up? If so, go for the EVM's. You've got another kidney, after all.

Or you could do what I did, I bought a 1x12 thiele loaded with an EVM speaker. Then get an open 1x12 loaded with a EVM. Its about the same as the half back, but is much more easier to move around. All of that costed under $500 plus shipping and paypal. If you are patient deals like that will come around. Just my two cents.

-Ryan

Or do like me and get a combo cab, install an EVM and get a Thiele with an EVM. Including shipping I spent less than $300. I now have the option of using the combo or the head shell. I also have the rackmount too though.

I was very into the 2x12 exchange for two reasons:
1 seems to have good bass, enough to aviod getting a 4x12. For recording and rehersal purpouses it seems perfect.
2 I have a rackmount version of mark III so it would fit perfect on top.

But now Celestion and eminence seem to be the worst speaker combination.

What does it mean that a speaker is ported?

Lorenzo_8 wrote:
2)trade (plus 100$) Mesa 4x12 half-back top V30, bottom Black Shadow with my Marshall 1960bv

Do this, but swap the v30s to the bottom.

phyrexia are you proposing this because I said I don't like very much V30
or just because the cabinet sounds better with the speaker reversed?

I am Italian the prices down here are a little higher for mesa and USA stuff...
The guy how has the 4x12 with EVs was really selling 2 for (not joking) 3800$ negotiable!

The new Electrovoice EVM 12L speakers are ok?

Thanks to us the ebay prices on Theile cabs has shot up like crazy and the 2x12 halfbacks are getting snatched. Yeah I'll go with the double 2x12 halfbacks EV loaded top and bottom ala Steve Lukather a formidable master of boogie tone.

Back