half back 2x12 questions...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAnsell

Reaction score
i scored a dead mint metal grill half back 2x12 today at a guitar show.
its got an ev on the bottom, and a c90 on top.
how different would it sound with another ev on the top?
also, does boogie still back a back pannel for the top half that you can order?

Hi Jim,

Good score on the cab. I have two 4x12 half backs one with all EVs and the other with C90s and the 50s. The difference is where these things break up. The EVs don't. Many people equate them to studio monitor speakers where what you put in is what comes out. My experience is similar. They are a very clear articulate speaker which keeps you honest in your playing since any mistakes are right out there for everyone to hear. The C90s do break up and add there own coloring to the sound. It is a bit more diffuse and kind of smears the sound a bit. A warmer sound if you like. I like both my cabs but honestly my preference is for the EVs. Either way you go you will love this cab. What you can do is go to ebay and find an EV and put it in and see how you like it. They can be had for about $100. I have seen a bunch go on the board recently for about that price. If you don't like it sell it. There is a good demand for these speakers and it won't be a problem to off load it. Hope this helps.

Gary

I must admit that I prefer both being EV's also. I remember that the EV / C90 combination was instigated by Neil Shon of Journey. My 2x12 came with that combination and after the first night on stage the C90 was promptly replaced with another EV. Using the upper rear baffle board kind of defeats the whole purpose of the cab but I think it would tighten up the C90 somewhat. For the EV in the upper half IMO I think it sounds best being open. Depends entirely on what sounds you're after; by all means experiment and let us know what you think.
John

I experimented with one about 10 years ago putting a back panel on the top (loaded with the C90) and I was not happy with that sound at all. It gave the cab more of a "thud" response and totally killed the open-back's 3D/spacious quality.

I converted the panel into a pedalboard. Worked great for transport to and from gigs and rehearsals - I just popped the board into the back of the cab when it came time to move stuff. Used velcro to hold it snug.

Latest posts

Back