Hairball on the Pedal Board: Stereo to Mono?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherm

Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this is annoyingly complicated.

I use a looper in my acoustic solo act (www.jeffsherman.net) and now I'm using a similar rig with my F50 and Strat. For the soloact, I like to be able to separate the looper playback signal from the live signal and process them independently. Several reasons. One, for example, is that I like to run the looper playback through a volume pedal so I can control it with some precision. I split the signal and send one line into the looper and VP and the other line around the looper, and then re-combine them in a simple resistance mixer (e.g., DOD or ART). The active pick-up siugnal from the guitar runs through everything and stays fairly hot all the way

I also use A/B switch to give myself a little volume boost for soloing. (I just jump to an input on the mixer set slightly louder than another.) The resistance mixer combines the live signal (a or b) with the output of the looper and that goes to the pa.

This seems to work fine for my acoustic shows but I don't like the way its working with the electric rig at all --- the signal coming out of the mixer is really weak compared to the Loop Station output alone.

Instead of that a/b channel jumping for volume boost I think I'd like to jsut use a clean boost pedal of some kind. That would be on the live signal only, the one that bypasses the lopper, but I'm still left with the need to combine 2 signals before sending them to the Boogie in mono.
Soooooo ... combining stereo to mono?

The F50s certainly got ooomph to spare so maybe the resistance mixer's an ok solution here too. I don't know.

Any thoughts on that will be much appreciated. Maybe I'm just nuts.

Sherm

Latest posts

Back