Had my V for a year and a half and never played Mark I mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fr0sty

Reaction score
Crazy. That's a killer tone, and I am finding out! Normally spend all my ch 2 time on crunch.

i think channel 2 would make a monster 3 channel amp on it's own!

hey Screaming Daisy -

do i remember a post where you were trying to setup one of the channel three modes to sound like the mark I mode so you could have MkI and Crunch available at once?

I'm the opposite, I've used nothing BUT Mark 1 for the last year and a half! Love it, has just as much gain as the other modes with all that big bottom end.

dudleydawson said:
i think channel 2 would make a monster 3 channel amp on it's own!

hey Screaming Daisy -

do i remember a post where you were trying to setup one of the channel three modes to sound like the mark I mode so you could have MkI and Crunch available at once?

No. I was trying to setup Mark 1 as my lead channel and use channel 3 as my rhythm. The problem I was having is that Mark 1 is so incredibly fat sounding that it made switching to Mark II and Mark IV modes sound really thin when you switch to them. I never did try it with my band however... I think the effect would be less jarring if there were a bassist maintaining the bottom end when I switched to channel 3.

I have also spent most of my time in the crunch mode of channel 2. This is mainly because in a live setting I could easily tweak the gain in this mode for a nice variety of great rhythm and lead sounds without having to tweak the tone knobs very much. I still love the crunch mode, but that being said.......I am beginning to see the light with the MkI mode of Ch2. I used to stay away from it because I felt that it "required" the GEQ set very differently from where I wanted it set for Ch3 lead tones. That being said, I am beginning to realize that I don't have to engage the GEQ in MkI mode for some great sounds. I have also realized that I don't have to engage the GEQ for stellar sounds in Ch3 either, but I already realized that.

Still experimenting in MkI, but am really enjoying the ride right now!!

My inspiration to "revisit" the MkI mode is mainly due to the excellent demo provided by Haggerty's Music!! :mrgreen:

The only changes I made from my crunch settings were to turn the bass all the way off, drop the mids a bit and roll in a smidge of the global eq. Oh, and turn the gain down to about 9:00 or so.

The best tip I´ve learnt from this forum is to keep the wattage setting in the Mark I mode low enough to be able to keep the channel 2 master high. That is the higher you keep the channel master(like around 3 o´clock and even higher) the less "fat" the Mark I sound and of course remove the channel bass and almost the mid as well and keep the treble and presence high that is around 3 o´clock.

Take care!

I don't use FX loop... the only FX I use is the amp reverb which sounds great!!!! I don't understand how some of you can play louder than 9... 10' max!!!
I only use the channel volume and that is already REALLY loud, with a band I can hear myself perfectly, gigging I can't turn it even more because it'll blow the mics away!!!!
3' is really REALLY loud, isn't it???
I use ch 2 for solos... with reverb... it brings the solo out really well without having to push the volume up. When i mean solos I don't mean shredding (something i don't do, what's the point in soloing really really fast anyway???)

Rkorn said:
I don't use FX loop... the only FX I use is the amp reverb which sounds great!!!! I don't understand how some of you can play louder than 9... 10' max!!!
I only use the channel volume and that is already REALLY loud, with a band I can hear myself perfectly, gigging I can't turn it even more because it'll blow the mics away!!!!
3' is really REALLY loud, isn't it???
I use ch 2 for solos... with reverb... it brings the solo out really well without having to push the volume up. When i mean solos I don't mean shredding (something i don't do, what's the point in soloing really really fast anyway???)

Sorry I wasn´t too clear with my answer. What I didn´t tell was that when running the channel master that high I used the Output controll to bring down the volume, that is you have to use the Fx-Loop Active to make that work and when I use the Mark I mode I use the amp as a one channel amp and do it "oldschool" with the volume knob on the guitar to "switch between different sounds. Of course this oldschool thing depends on how much gain you use.

Take care!

This thread inspired me to bust out Mark I mode for the first time at band practice last night. Sounded pretty **** good. Kept the gain around 10:00, bass off, mid low, treble around 2:00, presence straight up. Really fattened up my tele. Great sound. I'll probably try refining it a little more by adding in some EQ next time, but it's definitely a nice base tone, which I would never have figured by playing the amp alone. I think the only drawback is that I lost my "mid-crunch" sound (I usually use Edge) and Mark I mode definitely muddies up a lot when rolling off the guitar volume, but I have a TS which I used on Ch1 and that did a decent job.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration! Another thing learned on the Mrak V.

smd24fan said:
I'm the opposite, I've used nothing BUT Mark 1 for the last year and a half! Love it, has just as much gain as the other modes with all that big bottom end.

+1

Add a boost + OD pedal, and you have 3 base sounds on 1 mode setting. Tone shaping using guitar volume knob on this channel is more responsive than crunch to my ear

I an starting to wish the V was a 4 channel amp, with the Mark I mode having it's own channel.

The Mark I mode is amazing... think heavy slow doom riffing. You can kinda get those Sunn model T tones.

Back