Guys, I have a serial number for a IV, Is it an A or B?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Hero

Reaction score
I know the cosmetics point very much to A, but I hear there's a few Bs with A cosmetics?

The serial number is IV5455 and the pics;

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/4419/mesa1rd2.jpg

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/9174/mesa3wd2.jpg

A.

Dual effects loop.
Probably end 1992 production since mine is June 1992(IV522x).
Speaker is not original(was probably a 200 W EV originally).

Beautiful hardwood cabinet btw.

Is it yours or do you want to buy it?

If you want to buy it, get it! If your getting it for a fair price its a pure beauty!
I love hardwoods, but they are so rare here in europe, especcialy head cabs...

In europe for about 1500* euro's and if its in good shape its a bargain, definately.
Its also SUS mounted btw.

*As far as I know 1 pound is 1,5 euro, correct?

The difference is best noticeable in Rhy 2. It has more gain and a somewhat more metal voicing. but its still not capable of metal in the rhy 2 mode imo.

Boogiebabies knows the most about these amps but Jp tones are possible with either version of this killer, it's brutal, definately.

I had heard they have less gain, the A's that is, and seeing as i'm a little bit of a Mark series n00b, I need to know the full story.

I hear A's are a little darker sounding than Bs?

Random Hero said:
I had heard they have less gain, the A's that is, and seeing as i'm a little bit of a Mark series n00b, I need to know the full story.

Well, you will probably use the lead channel for JP tones and teh amount of gain is sick. You will have enough. If you have gain shortage on your mark IV you need to see a shrink.
BTW: you will find an answer on almost all your questions in the Mark IV sticky!

Random Hero said:

I belive it´s the other way around. The B is supposed to be smoother and a bit darker than the A in the lead mode. Slightly more gain in rhy 2 and maybe a bit more in the lead mode, but that might be a voicing thing more than a actual gain difference.

I have had two A´s through the years and they pretty much nailed the JP or Metallica tone (although I think the Mark III gets closer for rhythm).
You can´t really go wrong with either, they aren´t that different.

Petrucci used/uses a B, if that helps.

Back