Guitar suggestions for a Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
I was wondering if any guitars sound better than others when playing through a Roadster. I play in a versatile cover band and would like a guitar that has an overall great tone from light crunch to high gain. I am interested in the Petrucci signature guitar but also looking for suggestions.

thanks

jp6 is the best guitar ive ever played. he used the current basswood guitar with a rectifier. so if its good enough for him it should be good enough for you...

Everyone is different. There is no way of any of us giving you much of a quality reply since none of us have your ears...what sounds good to me may not sound good to you. It is you that has to play it so use the guitar that you like the most.

I think Petrucci has pretty bad tone so, for me, the Petrucci model suggestion wouldnt work.

even then, atleast for me, the feel of the guitars neck is way more important than the tone. the tone can always be changed by changing pickups, adding coil splits or taps, changing capacitors on tone pots, active vs passive pickups vs piezo pickups, etc etc.

depends on if you like longer or shorter scale necks, larger or smaller radius fretboards, 22frets vs 24frets vs 27frets, floydrose vs hard tail vs string thru vs standard trem, neckthru vs bolton, 6string vs 7string vs 8string.

so for what youre describing the best advise i can give is to get something that has humbuckers, and maybe a middle single coil just for an additional tonal possibility.

As a Custom 22 owner gotta throw it out there, but check out a PRS. You can pretty much build one anyway you want by changing the switch to toggle,5 way, push/pull, different neck radius, colors out the ying yang, lots of high end options.

My 22 stock was versatile as hell, the neck pickup is warm and clean, the bridge had some grit but i wanted more so i swapped it for there tremonti pickup(The hottest passive i'v played out of).

Just my 2 cents, and the price may be steep, but they are worth it. Just looking for flaws, you will never find on brand new. Oh plus i love the locking peg tuners :)

fatoni said:
jp6 is the best guitar ive ever played. he used the current basswood guitar with a rectifier. so if its good enough for him it should be good enough for you...

+1! The JPs SCREAM through a Roadster!! I'm working on getting my third one coz they sound/play/look so good. Well worth the price IMO...

I posted a video a while back with my playing all 4 channels of the Roadster with my Mystic Dream Petrucci. Search for 'roadster video' on here and you should find it...

Undeadpaladin said:
As a Custom 22 owner gotta throw it out there, but check out a PRS. You can pretty much build one anyway you want by changing the switch to toggle,5 way, push/pull, different neck radius, colors out the ying yang, lots of high end options.

My 22 stock was versatile as hell, the neck pickup is warm and clean, the bridge had some grit but i wanted more so i swapped it for there tremonti pickup(The hottest passive i'v played out of).

Just my 2 cents, and the price may be steep, but they are worth it. Just looking for flaws, you will never find on brand new. Oh plus i love the locking peg tuners :)

My CE 22 with the McCarty switching was very versatile for clean and mid gain tones, but I didn't much care for the high gain tones. The pickups aren't hot enough for my tastes. The Petrucci is perfect for all genres with a Roadster...

Latest posts

Back