GUITAR CENTER SUCKS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My problem with the one in Nashville is not so much being bothered when trying out something. The problem is that when I decide what I want to purchase, everyone disappears. The last time I was there, I had to ask 4 different salesmen, and each one told me that someone else would have to help me!

With a recession on, and a customer with cash in hand trying to give it away, you'd think they would be tripping over each other to make the sale!

ty

The ones in North Jersey all blow and so does Scam Cash for that matter. Fortunately for us we have smaller, much
more well run shops that carry Mesa and other high end gear. :)

Yeah guitar center has been a pain for me at the one closest to me, If i drive 45 min to the next closest GC then everyone there is awesome and helpful. The one closest to me carries crap and never helps you

wow you guys, some strong feelings from you all. I've had my share of experiences that pissed me off and now i just laugh at most of them. This makes me sad because there are so many people who "sell" stuff and aren't even gear enthusiasts. a real salesperson listens to your needs, and then trys to meet them. but what they pay to their employees is much lower than many commission based systems and guess what, hello high turnover. bottom line: YOU PAY PEANUTS.....YOU GET MONKEYS!

as for 400 bucks for a mark III head.... yea, that sounds about right. it's retail man, they are going to turn it around and sell it for 800. most (if not all) music retailers will do pretty much the exact same (excluding consignment). car lots don't give crap for trade in either... they aren't going to give you full price of what it's worth to make 20 bucks 6 months down the road. they are there to make money, that's the name of the game....

IMO if everyone who's had a problem with GC would simply stop going there instead of ranting about them, then GC would be out of business and our local mom & pop stores would once again thrive. The problem is that you would most likely pay more because the little guy doesn't have the buying power of GC. So you have to make a choice, pay less at GC and get lousy service or shop the small shops get better service and pay more. My self I prefer to do my homework and buy online (except guitars). I haven't been to a GC in years and I have four of them within driving distance of my house.

t0aj15 said:
IMO if everyone who's had a problem with GC would simply stop going there instead of ranting about them, then GC would be out of business and our local mom & pop stores would once again thrive. The problem is that you would most likely pay more because the little guy doesn't have the buying power of GC. So you have to make a choice, pay less at GC and get lousy service or shop the small shops get better service and pay more. My self I prefer to do my homework and buy online (except guitars). I haven't been to a GC in years and I have four of them within driving distance of my house.
DITTO! Only problem is they are like the Wally World of musical instruments: Too much buying power and enough of a buyer base, not just in their stores but through their online entity. I buy most of my gear online, including guitars, but locally I choose to pay more for good customer service. I don't like making a purchase and leave the store with more questions than I went in with.

RR said:
In my experience seems like 4 out of 5 Guitar Center I visited, service sucks. But there will be always one with exceptional service and that's well managed.

To the remaining 4 ...
GuitarCenterSucks.gif

Awesome GIF, RR...just sorry I didn't notice it sooner! :lol: :lol: :lol:

i can happily say i've never had such a bad experience at my local guitar center (natick MA). not only do i play guitar, but i'm also a promoter in my area, and i do recording so i've spent alot of time (and money!) in both the pro audio/guitar departments. everytime i have a question about some gear, i usually have no trouble getting help from my usuals. although my opinion might be skewed for the reason that the usual employees that help me know that when i'm looking at expensive gear, i'm usually going to buy it and they always want the commission haha.

Guitar Center is not that bad if you know how to play the game. And the game is this: EVERYTHING IN THE STORE IS NEGOTIABLE. Now of course some stuff like recording software and high end pieces (Royer or Blue Mics for example) may have set prices - but there are other negotiable items that they can throw in to close a big deal - like free stuff (cables, strings, gig bags, cases, pedals, mic stands, sales tax etc...). The bottom line is that you need to know what you want and what the price point is BEFORE going in. And you can politely tell the salespeople to leave you alone - you know all about the stuff you are looking at - grab any guitar you want off the wall - and tweak the amp or whatever it is to your heart's content - or tell them that you need to take it to a blast room to crank it up. Most stores offer this - you just have to take it there yourself. It is the store policy to let you do this. I know - because I worked in the pro audio section for 1 month several years ago as a part time job in the Hollywood store.

Here are a few GC facts:

The sales commission is extremely low - so your average GC guitar salesperson is probably making well under $20K/year while working a 40 hour week. Only dumb *** musicians will put up with this over the long haul - so that is their sales force. Normal people aspire to better things - quickly see the limitations they have there - and quickly move on. You will probably not get great service at your average GC. If you desire great service - go to your smaller - higher priced - stores where you will get the attention you need - but you will find that there is a cost attached. And who on this forum really needs a sales person to show them a guitar amp? Are you that stupid? Grab that **** yourself and go - tell the salesperson to get you a cable that works and a pick and take a hike. There is not a goddamn thing he can do about it. It is company policy. In fact - it is the company core principle to let you play on the gear as much as you like before you buy. I know because I had to sit in a few team meetings and listen to all the BS.

At GC - the price is always negotiable. You will just have to research on line - but pretty much they will meet or beat whatever price you can find on line. Print it out - bring it in - ask for the manager. This WORKS on everything from 10 packs of guitar strings to Crown power amps. research research research.

I did the math when I was there (like 5 years ago) but the best sales person in my department- Pro Audio - the guy who had all his deals handed to him from on high and only sold Pro Tools HD rigs and $2500 mic pre's to studios over the phone probably made around $45-50K/year. We are talking the top seller in his department at the flagship store. This is chump change in the world of sales. The worst car salesman (at that time :) ) could stand around the lot and make that without having any skills. I know because several of my friends did exactly that and were pulling $85K+ selling cars full time - at that time.

The 30 day return policy is a huge reason why people continue to shop at GC - and they know it - and they will absolutely return your stuff - though YOU may feel guilty about it. And that is their hope. But if you just go in all business and keep everything "like new" after you buy it - you will have no problem returning stuff for a full refund with your original receipt. It is the store policy written right there on every receipt - so don't be guilted into keeping stuff and more importantly not just taking the stuff home and trying it out for a few days in your happy place. GC is a terrible place to hear stuff mostly because it is so **** loud all the time.

The guy who started this thread should have done this: Walked in - bought the amp on a 0 interest card - told the sales person that he needs to play on HIS GEAR for a few days before he makes up his mind - and that me MIGHT return it. And then took it home. Had them document any marks or imperfections on the receipt (use your phone camera now) and then go take it for a ride. I did this with an Egnater Tourmaster combo when they came out - brought it back the following week when I decided it wasn't for me. No questions asked. 100% refund. That is the policy - and that is what is great about Guitar Center. I did this with a TC G-system, and with a Line 6 M13. Well actually this is not entirely true - they usually DO ask questions and try to help you figure out what you may want in exchange - but again just say not interested please charge back my card and that you're looking at something they don't carry. Or just be honest and tell them it sucked balls. That works too.

Their POS system (cash registers for you Mouth Breathers) is ancient. And they will probably never update it until it totally fucking dies. This means that checking out of a GC is the equivalent of getting a rectal exam at the Gastroenterologist. It is never fun and never easy. the systems are all from the mid 1980's and the software is so outdated and pathetic. Let's just say that corporate sees no value in changing to speed things up at the checkout. So checking out will always be a pain in the *** and you will almost never be able to run in there "quickly" for a grab n go.

I have easily spent over $25k there on stuff I use in the studio and PA gear, and and will continue to shop there as long as it is convenient, they continue to have a wide selection of music gear, and I can try out stuff before committing to it wholly. Over all it is better than going to the local store - buying something that sounds great in the room - getting home and realizing it doesn't sound the same in your rehearsal space - and then being fucked having to sell it used. Because before GC - that is EXACTLY what it was like.

I am the guy who started this thread, and make no apologies for my original posting. While I appreciate everyone's feedback, it appears that I need to clarify things as some readers are not examining the original post thoroughly:

1. It should have been obvious from what I posted originally that I not only gave GC its fair share several times, I went there repeated times afterword to show that I would give them another chance and be willing to work with them on future items. They failed.

2. Do I need them to show me how to work an amp? Um no. My original posting states why they lost the sale, not that I should have been babysat by their workers. The amp was not setup properly at the first store, and it took me ("the customer") a long time to fish through the cables and hook everything up properly. Again, none of the sales people standing around offered to help me setup the connections on the amp while I was in plain view of a customer service desk. The second store lost the sale because, having tried the only amp on the floor and being totally content with it, I couldn't get anyone's attention to ring it up, all while basically waving money at them ready to buy the amp. These two visits basically sum up a lot of disgust of dealing with GC over the years. So...

3. I will repeat: If I am going into a store willing to drop $2000 for an amp, I expect a demo to be in working condition and/or I expect them to be able to get it working with limited difficulties. I don't see this as being unreasonable, and I am sure Mesa would have a sh!tfit knowing their product was being handled that way (if they don't already).

4. I have returned many things to GC over time, and I hardly feel at fault for doing so. And the Marshall head I returned was in flawless condition, but they still gave me crap for returning it.

5. It's interesting to read comments from an actual GC employee for the first time here, although if they only stayed there as an active employee for one month (or is it just the wording?) that doesn't say much for GC an employer. Ironically, this person still has some sort of allegiance to them and will continue to buy from them. No offense Sir, but good luck with that.

6. Most places (GC otherwise) sell items for prices that are all reasonably close. I know this by the research that I have done online. Needless to say, if anyone out there is finding some great deal (at GC or otherwise) on a wanted piece of gear, I say great -- go for it.

7. I eventually bought a Mesa Roadster from a local, non-GC store and they were excellent to work with. They also had a 30 day return policy. So, they suck compared to GC because....?

8. Bottom line: I honestly don't give a rat's *** what comission the people at GC make. I go there to spend money, which I too work very hard for in a job that I would rather not be doing (which also uses outdated equipment). I started in retail years ago and still tried to treat customers better than these people do in today's times. If the pay sucks that much, then why work there? Are they expecting some big break in the music business? John Mayer going to ask you to be his roadie someday?

I agree with someone else's comments on here that if you hate them that much, why keep going back. So I don't go back anymore. Period.

I hear ya. I don't have any allegiance to them - I was working there a little over a month and then quit when my real business picked back up (film post prod). I just think that cash is king and the bottom line is - the best price usually gets the sale. The bonus for going to GC IMHO is the convenience of the 30 day return policy. Also maybe it is just that the Hollywood store being so close - we get the best stuff first it seems and there are always lots of great used pieces going through there. I know for a fact that the other 4 GC's in So cal do not get that kind of treatment. I'll shop in any store that I can get a deal at. I shop at GC knowing full well that I know much more about the products than most of the sales staff.

I haven’t had a buying binge at GC in about 9 years (PA, Strat, Fender Twin, Marshall, pedals, etc, the list goes on) …My last splurge was about a week ago when I bought a Mark V head (not at GC)…I should be good until about 2020 based on my previous buying habits.

Anyway, I find it quite humorous that the original poster couldn’t find a decent Mesa dealer in Illinois other than GC. It would seem to me that if you are serious about buying a Mesa, or Orange, or Bogner, or Deizel, or anything other than your typical Fender or Marshall, you wouldn’t have stepped foot into a GC in the 1st place.

People that wonder why they get crappy service or don’t get their ego stroked enough prior to buying a high end piece of gear need to get a clue. Those of us that walk into a Mega Music Store like GC for a high end amps like a Mesa are obviously “looking for a deal” that they believe a smaller boutique Mesa dealer could not provide. When they either don’t get the deal they want or don’t feel that the sales process was to their liking, they slam the Mega Music Store.

Guess what…you can buy a Mercedes at Carmax but real Mercedes aficionados don’t. I wouldn’t buy a Mesa from Carmax or GC.

Sorry that you got your feelings hurt at GC. Big deal. Next time go and get what you want at the price you want and don’t be bothered that you weren’t catered too by people who obviously don’t care about your business. Go to a place to buy your high end amps, guitars, & gear from a place that does.

MusicManJP6 said:
Thrash Till Deth said:
That being said about the only thing they are good for is trying out gear.

This is the only reason I go to GC... that and to buy strings...

haha I dont even buy strings from there. Its all about Amazon.com or an eBay store.

Honestly, I've had good and bad experiences at GC. I won't go into the bad experiences, but I will say that the one GC I have never had a bad experience at is in Edina, MN. I work with either Adam Grath, Mike Rice, or Jeff Klugel. That's it. I like the other employees, but these guys have my trust because they actually know their **** and they'll tell you straight up if they don't know something. They've helped me get some awesome gear...and most of my new Mesa Gear. I shop there strictly for the 30 day return policy...and the financing when I don't have liquidity up front and I absolutely NEED something right away. For everything else, I shop at American Guitar and Band in Maple Grove because those guys have some seriously FANTASTIC service.

This is not surprisingly a popular thread. I like and hate Guitar Center for the same reason I like and hate Walmart. You will not find much better deals on new gear. You will not find helpful salespeople anywhere. There is 1 person at my local Guitar Center (Danvers, MA, & Boston, MA) that I will deal with. And I only deal with this person because they are the best of the worst. I at least feel like I am talking to a real person and not a total airhead.

My Local GC is rediculous. I called them to see if they had any 5AR4 rectifier tubes in stock and they said they had some sovteks.....I make the 45min drive and ask for the very guy i spoke on the phne with and he then tells me they don't carry that brand of tubes.

jdurso said:
You guys are going to love this. I was at GC East Brunswick, NJ for some cables and they had a Mark IV there. One problem... the cabinet sheels was split and clearly made the amp vibrate more than it should which is a tube killer. Anyway wanna know the price tage?? $1500!!!!!! i went to my buddy Jeff who's one of the managers and asked him about hit... lets just say his response started with a big sigh. Apparently GC corporate wont let him discount the amp anymore than $300 (value of the cab shell i guess) because the amp was damaged during shipping and the shipping company wouldnt pay for it (apparently i think thats just bogus). So long story short i told him I'd pay $1000 right then and there... he laughed because he would love to move it but GC Corporate wont let them sell it for any less than $1500 because that would be considered discounting it which they're not allowed to do for Mesas. I understand the buerocratic side of the business but come on now... your selling a broken amp for much more than they should. If they wanted I'm sure they could get a spare cab from Mesa to sell along side the amp as is for close to $1500 but at that point if the cab is that busted then my mind thinks what else is busted? Consider the traffic through that store with the idiots who play their amps in the store and the fact that the amount of extra tube vibration, its just makes for a big problem down the road.

I saw that one also. I just stood there and laughed. They should just cut their losses on that one and blow it out the door. If it took a hit like that there is more than likely something wrong inside.

Latest posts

Back