Guitar cable

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Axwielding1, now here's a new topic for debate. :p I think that most copper cabling are fairly similar, it's the connectors, soldering, and shielding that make the differences in cables. I use a Pro Co Ex-Caliber cable for my guitar. I have Mogami send and return cables for my effects.

I liked the Pro Co for it's connector style (the clicky thing) and the way the cable lays flat along with it's flexibility. It's a quality cable. The Mogami's are supposed to be very neutral as far as tone coloration, however, they seem a little stiff and I've heard that they are not as tough for live playing as some others out there, same with Monster Cables.

If you are looking for cables to record with, I don't think that you can go wrong with Mogami's. If you are gigging heavily, there are other alternatives out there that may take the abuse better and still sound good.

I make my own cables. I'm using Canare GS-6 cable and G&H connectors. This combination produces a warm sounding cable with a nice midrange.

The most highly regarded guitar cable I've come across is the Evidence Audio "Lyric." It's pretty pricey, though.

I use a Planet Waves "Custom Series" for my guitar > amp and speaker cables. I'm very happy with them.

I have Mogami cables that I use at home for the E loop and patches. But, I have a Spectraflex from guitar.. It's a ***** when playing out because it isn't very flexible.... I use a bullet coil cable with my Gibson amp as it tames the highs some, but it doesn't sound too good through my Boog...
I've heard the planet waves are good, and may try it..
ax. 8)

I do like the look of the Bullet coil cable though... Too bad it's so capacitive....

I really like the Mogami 2524 cable. I'm in a slow process of converting over to 'em. But for now I've got a mix. There was a company called Titan Cable in Florida and one of their reps saw my band and they shipped us a grand worth of their cables so I've got a lot of their stuff in my setup. I think they may have gone under though. And I use one Planet Waves too! :lol:

Greg

After you have been a player for a while you can actually tailor a cable to a guitar or sound you are looking for. If you have an really bright guitar, a long reasonably price DiMarzio may work perfectly. For me, the Moster has been the most transparent, but even in the longer length it has a bit more capacitance to roll of highs. I have yet to try George L's or Klotz. I do know what a regular Belden cable with switchcraft ends sounds like as we have all probably been playing them for 20 years. The sad fact is, if you dont have the ear to tell, you are probably fooling yourself and buying in to media hype and marketing. Speaker cables are the same.

There is a company out there that sells cryogenically frozen copper interconnect pairs for like $ 1000.00. There is a product for every cork sniffer or audiophile alive, but does the price justify the end effect.

I use George L's...completely. I use the thin stuff (.155 diameter) for my effect interconnects and loop, as well as the cable from my pedalboard to my amp. I use the thick stuff (.225 diameter) for my guitar to pedalboard.

George L's has consistently rated and tested superior to most cables, even the high dollar mogami and monster stuff...in fact, I can't think offhand of a review that has not listed them tops.

The way I figure, they sound great for me...no tone coloring that I or anyone else I have had listen to them have been able to detect...that, and the fact that His Royal Highness King Tone Freak Eric Johnson uses them...that sold me.

RB

I dig the George l's For patching, but I can't use one for my main cables, from guitar to amp. I don't like the way they lay on stage, or off the guitar. I have been using Monster for a while now, and the reason I bought them is because I like the way they work with my rig. They eliminate outside interference, they lay great on stage, and they stay true to my tone. I've used some of the others that have been mentioned here, but I stayed with Monster.
You should really try the ones you are interested in and see what works for you. That's what I love about the 30 day return policy. :lol:

George L's. The nice thing about these is that if you have a problem you can snip off an inch and reterminate the end with just a screwdriver. The are a high quality low capacitance cable.

I do have other cables though. Any high quality low capacitance cable with high quality ends, such as Switchcraft, should be fine. There are many cables that use cheap plugs on the end that are not properly sized. these end up screwing up the jack in your guitar, that is when the trouble begins.

One tip I can give, if you are using a non stereo or non-active guitar, is to install a stereo jack in your guitar and connect the ring (center) contact to ground (common). This ensures a better connection.

Guitar Player did a cable shootout a couple years ago. I remember the George L's scored high marks for sound. I can't remember which cable was the king of the hill.
They had one test that I thought was a great idea. They replicated the age old drum cymbal stand getting knocked over and having the cymbal cut your cable accident. They put the guitar cord on a piece of wood and dropped a drum cymbal from a couple feet on to the cord to see how bad the cord would slice. If I remember correctly, George L's were not the strongest in the slice test, though they did OK.

Fail Safe:

Use real engineering, not generics.
-- Which also means: Nothing from MF, GC, or other brick-and-mortars.

Use the shortest lengths possible.
-- Lava Cable and eBay retailers can do this for you.

Mogami and Canare are THE baseline standard.
-- They're good as back-ups when you upgrade, so keep them.

There is no such thing as "Weakest link in the chain"
-- Put a good cable in there somewhere and you'll notice.

Don't over-look your speaker cable.
-- Since there's typically only one, make it a good one.

I've only been crazy enough to go as high as Evidence Audio.
-- And for me, they're worth their weight in gold.

You get what you pay for.
-- Tell your friends.

Back