Great Distortion Pedal and Great Service...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewski

Reaction score
I bought a T.C. Jauernig Gristle King a while back. It's basically two pedal in one. It has a Tube Screamer type of distortion, as well as, a clean boost. I can't say enough good about this pedal. It's like adding and additional 3 channels to your amp. You can run with the clean boost, the distortion, or both together. It also has a switch that runs a more open tone, and when flipped the other way, its a more compressed sounding distortion. Iit also has a fat switch, and you can switch to run the clean boost pre or post of the distortion. It's also a true bypass pedal. For the money, you're getting two pedals in one. It's easy to dial in and is built to easily handle a gigging musician.

Unfortunately, it wasn't supposed to take a direct hit by a 70 lb. kid and wooden chair back falling onto it. It bent one of the switches, and broke one of the knobs. I tried it out, and it still works. Cosmetically, I wanted the knob replaced, along with the switch.

I sent an e-mail back to Tim Jauernig to see if he'd make the changes. He responded immediately, and said to send it back to him. I should have it back in no time. BTW- The knob and switch were the only things that got messed up. The case and paint are fine. So, I really trust Tim's commitment to both tone and quality.

Before this little accident, I've let friends try it out and they all just loved it when they played through it. If you're looking for a great distortion, with some nice extra features, by all means, give this one a try.

I just thought that I'd pass the info alone as a very happy customer, in case someone is looking for an alternative to what they are using or if they're in the market for a pedal, with a maker who is friendly and supports his products. Tim makes a number of other pedals, as well, so check them out.

If the kid gets close to my gear again, I'm either going to bungie him to the center of the room, or velcro him to a wall![/url]http://mypeoplepc.com/members/tjauernig/tcjauernigelectronics/

very cool! i think too many people don't take the time to praise a product when it is really good, and i think too many people do take the time when something has gone wrong and cast a whole negative shadow on the whole reputation. i will be keeping my eyes open for one of these soon. :wink:

Hey Boyz!

Just wanted you all to know that Brewski got me hooked on this pedal.

Long story short; (Well, maybe not that short)

I have the LSC 1x12, a Les Paul Std. & a G&L Legacy. The two guitars are so "tonally" different I have Channel 1 set up for the LP and channel 2 (clean clone of channel 1) set up for the Legacy. You guys know how sensitive the controls on the Mesa's are. It can be a real pain in the butt trying to dial back in that "perfect sound" you had set up before you changed the settings for another guitar. So now I have two clean channels with no overdrive. Hence, Brewski's suggestion.

So I find a local "boutique" pedal dealer (PedalGeeks.com) who has exactly ONE of these Gristle Kings left in stock. So I shoot over, he hooks me up with 4 different overdrive pedals all in a row so I can A/B them.
By the way he hooked me up to a Carr Slant 6. Now that's SOME AMP.
Too bad it's like 3,300.00.

But any way, The Gristle King just blew me (and the other pedals) away. Versatility and tone, tone, tone. Played it with a Legacy that he had in stock and a guitar with humbuckers. Hey, you want a mild crunch, you got it, you want classic rock, you got it, you want singing "Santana" sustain, you got it, and you've got EVERYTHING in between. Sounded great with either guitar. I couldn't get this thing home fast enough. It cost 210.00 and it was the best money I've ever spent on a pedal. It adds 3 channels to my amp and it's allot easier changing the pedal's settings for each guitar rather than changing the amp's settings. By the way, the pedal sounded even better with "my" gear, (probably because my stuff was already "set-up" exactly to my taste) so you know I couldn't be happier.
It "plays well" with my echo and chorus. It lets the sound of your guitar and amp still come through.

(Though it's probably not for "Metal Guys".)

Thanks for sharing Brewski! I would have never found this pedal without your recommendation. What a great find!

Hey dylan7620, No problem. I didn't mind taking a chance and try a different pedal. This one just happened to work for me. I had the luxury and pleasure of hearing Greg Koch, a Fender clinician, play through one. The jargon used on the pedal was modeled after his way of speaking.

Old-Guy,
I'm really glad that you are still enjoying yours. I'd hate to think that I'd given you a bum steer. I was pretty sure about the pedal, though, when I recommended it.

Just an addendum. I received my pedal back a day ahead of Tim's commitment and it looks and works like brand new. He will definitely get more of my business! Many kudos to Tim!

Our lead guitarist just bought one after playing mine through his rig. The last I heard, he's in the recovery room. They had to surgically remove the smile on his face! In all honesty, he does really like it. His quote regarding the pedal was, "I feel like I have a machine gun in my hands". I know that he checks in on this board, so I can't say too much else or I'll hear about it! 8)

Latest posts

Back