Great boost to do two things?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an AC and BB custom. I sold the BB custom because it was too much dirt and prefer the AC.

I use am Xotic BB and EP. Just keep the gain low on the BB - around 9:00 or less - and it fits perfect for what I do. I rarely go off the Vin Lo. On the clean mode, it dirties it up just enough for some great blues tones.

papersoul said:
Hi guys, I am looking for a boost or OD that is very low gain. Right now I use the Sonic Edge J&J OD. I look for two things.
1) use the boost into my amp's clean channel to add some grit. I don't always like a super Fender clean, and would rather have some grit on the clean.
2) next would be to send the Electradyne into a higher gain territory, just a slight boost over the edge. So, you can see the pedal needs very, very little gain.

Right now the J&J Overdrive is very natural, smooth and warm, sounds alot like an amp! So far so good but it is rather dark and I have to keep the tone all the way up. Right now I keep the gain low enough to provide grit on my cleans when I want it, without it effecting my gain channels if I leave it on and it is also fine at sending crunch channels into heavier gain. Part of why it is good at this is the very low gain and dead silent.

So, I am not against trying other pedals. Xotic RC? Tone Freaks Naked?

Up for suggestions.

I had the same requirements..

Your example 1 - OCD. Very warm, can dial down the gain. Great pedal
Your example 2 - I tried several pedals including the BB Pre. I settled on the Flux Drive.. More gain than the OCD, not as warm. I use it to push the red channel..

Good luck,
M

on the option 1 the mxr dyna comp should work as well. I now use the sp comp, or the top boost in a can.
for option two now I use the freakish blues alpha drive II, sometimes the wampler's sovereign but its for sale now. I also got the fulltone fulldrive II recently but was not happy with it so it was sold.

but if you need only one pedal go with the dyna comp, or sp comp. and leave'em on all time.
the rc, or ep might work as well but i have no exp with em.

yoman

I use an Fulltone OCD with my Electra-Dyne and my Roadking II. The OCD is transparent but gives you more saturation and tightens the amp up, it can also make it brighter if that is what you are after.

I have a couple boosts that are good as a 1 mode thing. An actual 2 mode boost that is great on both sides is a Jetter R2. It is so good that Guitar Center picked them up to carry.

One side is the JTM flavored Helium. It is a little girth and grit. It is one to be tempte to leave on only the time. I have an OCD, and it is similar to the best part of an OCD when dialed in low.

The Red side of the pedal is higher gained more aggressive voice that is great on its own. The cool thing about the pedal is you can dial both sides to be moderate, and run both for the tone of a boosted Marshall. I like them because the brand is vocal about sounding like a Marshall crunch. A great boost and a great way to bring a little of the Marshall crunchy goodness on board when you want it.

I have a Bogner Ecstacy Red pedal. It is more like a preamp with many modes and huge swing in voicing options.

I have an AC Boost. It is a good pedal. I have noticed it likes some amps very well and others not so much.

If you can find the Jetter R2 and play with it a bit, it is time well spent. And it also puts a great dirty crunch on a single coil.

Good luck on the tone quest.

Fulltone FD2 / BB Preamp Plus set appropriately fill your requirements based on experience through my 3 Mesa heads

Taken a lot of tweaking and experimentation, but both offer versatility and transparency from threshold of clip to searing lead. The BB is probably more touch responsive, where the FD2 offers excellent midrange bump when needed. And both can do a great clean boost

I recently retired my OCD in favor of the new MXR Super badass distortion pdl. It goes from clean boost to overdrive to distortion. Plus has bass. Mid. Treble.knobs. The vol knob is much smoother than the OCD. I'm hooked on it now.Plus it's not expensive. It's a keeper...that and my Carbon Copy is it for me, along with my new Polytune 2 tuner on a Gator 3 pedal board...stripped down goodness that compliments the Dyne very well. I've set the gain knob maxed and the gain trim set to hi/low, with that trim knob at about half way. All 3 modes are now balanced, with killer edge of breakup tones tones on blue or red, good cleans, and smokin overdrive lead.

Back