GOT MY OLD TOV BACK!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitor gracie

Reaction score
Ok, here is the scoop. I am a huge proponent of the Trem O Verb tones. I owned one from '96 (new from the store) and traded it 2 years ago for a Roadster Head. I believed that the Roadster was the only amp worthy of replacing it. So, recently, while planning a visit to Milwaukee for a quick vacation before touring, I looked on Craigslist to see if anyone had a TOV up for sale. I do this sometimes as we all do just to see what Mesa amps are going for, etc. Strangely, someone listed a TOV combo similar to mine for a great price only 15 minutes or so from where I would be staying in Milwaukee.

After a couple of emails back and forth, it turns out that the gentleman purchased his amp from a store that I visited the last time I was Milwaukee (in May of this year) for a large concert. I actually saw my old TOV there and plugged into it while in town for that show. It still sounded like a million bucks. I wanted to buy it back and thought it was a strange coincidence that it turned up in a store that I was in months after I moved from Milwaukee. I left it alone didn't buy it then and ended up with a Lonestar. Fast forward to this week:

I asked the guy on Craigslist where he bought it and sure enough he got it from that same store! I got all fired up and asked for better pictures of it. I asked about specific dings and replaced parts and he confirmed to me that it had those abnormalities. Upon arriving in Milwaukee I met with him and to my surprise there sat my old beat up and abused Trem O Verb. I plugged into it and was taken back to all those years in the mid 90s of doing Incubus, Deftones, Jeff Buckley Grungy stuff and handed him the cash for it.

He was an older fellow and was a Mesa Boogie collector. He said he has owned 3 Trem O Verbs and that this amp for sure was the best sounding and oldest one he has had. I also heard the same thing form the man who sold it to him when I was in that store he got it from in May.

Its beat up like crazy and thats all from me lugging it all over the country. I have used the amp for every style of music that I know how to play. I have owned PRS guitars, strats, a great G&L, metal guitars and a 7-string and I can't make this amp sound bad. I have used it for Death Metal, Rock, hip hop shows, funk, R&B, Funk, and now will be using it for a Sony artist that is putting out a country record.

This amp really is the best! If any of you are ever needing to be nudged into buying a Trem O Verb, I bought mine back after 2 or 3 owners for $800 cash because of it's condition. The usual price for these is about $1000-$1200. I'm a happy dude right about now. :D

TOV_Front.jpg

TOV_Back.jpg

It's not damage, it's CHARACTER! :lol:

That's really awesome that you ended up getting your old amp back by chance. I bet it feels like you've reunited with an old friend. lol

I still try to keep an eye out for my old Dual Rec. I know it's a fat chance since I sold it on fleabay, but you never know. That amp had the tone.

That's very cool you got your old TOV back! Congrats on the "new" old amp!

That's awesome what are the chances it was meant to be.
The TOV is a very fine amp enjoy

Yeah, it's kinda funny. I normally talk with my wife about purchases like this and get a feel for if I am just being greedy or really need the piece or not. When I told her it was my old amp, I pretty much said to her, "...And I am buying it right now" LOL At dinner that night, we where with a great friend and he got all excited for me and said, "IT'S DESTINY! It was MEANT TO BE!" Hahahahhaha

She's cool with it now...

Good 4 U! I had a 1976 Gibson Explorer that I sold 15 years ago that ALMOST came back to me. It had a lot of sentimental value...but, in the end the new owner (we'll call him King Douche Bag!) wouldn't let me take it off his greasy, no talented, fat hands no matter what reasonable offer I threw at him...bitter, oh a tad. Anyhow, I know how great it is to find an old friend like that...wish I knew what it's like to get him back like you do. Cheers!

Thanx for sharing such a great story! I share your love for the amp... My '94 T-Verb combo has something magical over other/newer Mesas that keeps me from selling or trading it. (ever!!)

Nice re-scoring of your great amp!

Back