Got my Mark IV! A few questions.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it's very slightly touching I think. It's hard to see if there's a gap. If there is, it can't be more than a few millimetres.

Can anyone think of a workaround for this?

ryjan said:
Bite the bullet and buy a smaller fan. You dont want anything touching those power tubes.

OK, that's fine with me. Where can I buy a fan with those 2 prong ends?

That looks like a mesa stock fan. So I can't see why it doesn't work (unless it came from a combo). Check out this pic on the Classifieds. He has a great shot of the fan mount from the front.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39049

Worst case call Mesa and ask what to do.

I'm not sure, but if you find a fan with the right specs you can simply splice the end to the new fan. Most universal computer fans only come with bare ends anyway. Radio Shack, here you come! :D

GD_NC said:
That looks like a mesa stock fan. So I can't see why it doesn't work (unless it came from a combo). Check out this pic on the Classifieds. He has a great shot of the fan mount from the front.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39049

Worst case call Mesa and ask what to do.

Do you know how much it would cost to call Mesa from the UK? Hopefully not too expensive. :(

But yeah it looks like a stock fan so I don't understand why it won't fit. Unless I just unscrew the shell at the top, move it back a little and leave it like that until I can get a smaller fan.

Scottyyy said:
But yeah it looks like a stock fan so I don't understand why it won't fit. Unless I just unscrew the shell at the top, move it back a little and leave it like that until I can get a smaller fan.

The fan is not 100% necessary unless you are playing in full power with volume up. Just leave the front open and make sure there is plenty of space around the head for air to move until you can figure it out.

GD_NC said:
Scottyyy said:

The fan is not 100% necessary unless you are playing in full power with volume up. Just leave the front open and make sure there is plenty of space around the head for air to move until you can figure it out.

Ok, cool. I've just unscrewed the head from the shell and moved it back a little so there's some space between the fan and power tubes for now. I'll try and find a permanent fix so I can have the amp screwed in.

But I've just been playing for about 2 hours straight, messing with all the channels and all I have to say is HOLY CRAP! Seriously, this is such an improvement to my ears over the Mark III I couldn't believe it. Maybe it's because it's easier to dial in - with the Mark III it was hard to find a sound I liked, with this IV it's hard to find a sound I didn't like. I won't go into much detail as I'm a bit late to the IV party so I'd just be repeating what everyone else has already said but I love this amp already.

Also, I phoned up Mesa and got their answer machine. Although I'm sure as soon as they heard me say "I'm from the UK" they put the phone down. :)
But it'd be nice if they phoned back - maybe I could order a smaller fan.

Latest posts

Back