Got My Dual Recto and Cab: Quick Question.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys! Finally got my Avatar 4x12, and I couldn't be happier with all the money I spent! The rig is amazing! I love the tones, and they are actually very very good at bedroom levels too, not perfect, but good.

Here are some pics for you guys to enjoy!

http://photobucket.com/albums/e320/tumil7654/Mesa%20Boogie%20Dual%20Rectifier/?sc=1&multi=6&addtype=local&media=image&test=test

So, I have a question for you guys. First of all, here are the settings on my red channel (channel 3)

Silicon Diode Rectifier
Bold

Output: 7:00

Modern
Presence: 2:00
Master: 9:30-10:00
Gain: 2:00-2:30
Bass: 12:30
Mids: 12:00
Treble: 1:00

Now, the tone for such a low volume is pretty **** good, considering this is a 100 watt all tube amp, but I do have one complaint......

The bottom strings: E A D seem to be very lacking in response, and almost gain. The play very and feel very "stiff", almost as if the notes are choking to get out. Palm mutes on these strings are also very VERY weak....almost inexistant.

So, my question, is this a problem with my settings? Or it it just that it is such a low volume? If it is the volume, then I'm planning to get an attenuator to work the power tubes more.....will this help?

Thanks alot!

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Hey guys! Finally got my Avatar 4x12, and I couldn't be happier with all the money I spent! The rig is amazing! I love the tones, and they are actually very very good at bedroom levels too, not perfect, but good.

Here are some pics for you guys to enjoy!

http://photobucket.com/albums/e320/tumil7654/Mesa%20Boogie%20Dual%20Rectifier/?sc=1&multi=6&addtype=local&media=image&test=test

So, I have a question for you guys. First of all, here are the settings on my red channel (channel 3)

Silicon Diode Rectifier
Bold

Output: 7:00

Modern
Presence: 2:00
Master: 9:30-10:00
Gain: 2:00-2:30
Bass: 12:30
Mids: 12:00
Treble: 1:00

Now, the tone for such a low volume is pretty **** good, considering this is a 100 watt all tube amp, but I do have one complaint......

The bottom strings: E A D seem to be very lacking in response, and almost gain. The play very and feel very "stiff", almost as if the notes are choking to get out. Palm mutes on these strings are also very VERY weak....almost inexistant.

So, my question, is this a problem with my settings? Or it it just that it is such a low volume? If it is the volume, then I'm planning to get an attenuator to work the power tubes more.....will this help?

Thanks alot!

Hey, I think the first problem might be the volume level. That isn't getting much of anything as far as power tube distortion and you're right, the notes just choke out at a level like that. The attenuator will stop that the choked feel and make it more musical because of PT distortion.

I see the SD-1 in your lineup, are you using that in front of your amp? That will earn you back some chug and sustain in the low strings at low volumes.

At the moment I'm not using the SD-1.....I think the attenuator will be the way out, but I'd like some more opions!

Also, is a quick crackling in the tubes normal when they are heating up?

ibanez4life SZ! said:
At the moment I'm not using the SD-1.....I think the attenuator will be the way out, but I'd like some more opions!

Also, is a quick crackling in the tubes normal when they are heating up?

You should try the SD-1 in front just for giggles, I think you'll enjoy it.

the problem is you are playing a bedroom levels!

Hell, even the single is hard to use those levels IMO

Also, definitely try the SD1 in front of it, lots of fun

Well platypus, the SD-1 actually worked very very nicely.....really made it much much Much more responsive and really borught some omph to the palm mutes....seems like I'm loosing a little bass and the tone it a bit fuzzier.....

So, do you guys think the attenuator will be a better idea that the SD-1? Will it help my tone without the fuzziness? Or will the SD-1 pull me through?

First off, I slightly dissagree with the statement about the bedroom levels. I agree an attuenator will make it sound better at low volumes, but I don't think youre main problem is low volume. What I would try is turn the treble and gain up. Maybe not even up just adjust them and you might find it. I play at bedroom levels all the time and I can turn my amp all the way down and it still has the same feel or response, it just doesn't sound as good.
Second, crackling sounds are normal in the tubes going from cold to warm.
Now finally how is that avatar cab. I am really wanting to order one but I don't want to get screwed and then have to get another new cab because of the dissappointment. What speakers did you get.

A few more things to add to my original question.....

I've been told that having a mesa modded with a bias pot is a good idea, allowing me to make the stock bias hotter to bring down the cross-over distortion? Worth it? Or should I just keep working at the amp and forget about modding?

I've also been told that running the 6L6's in the EL-34 mode can help the bias alot.....I'm afraid to try it though.....has anyone here tried it?

I got V30's in the cab.

IMO, it is a get cab. I got to play a traditional Mesa, and I see no difference. The bass response is great, and construction is superb. The cab overall is just amazing, especially for the price.

Definitely don't hesitate with avatar! Great buy!

I'd lower the Presence to 9:30, mids to 10:30, trebles OK, maybe up a little, say 1:30, gain maybe down a little, say 2:00! Forget about the bias mods and modes for now. I would also disenegage the effects loop and use only the channel masters! You'll get a little more clarity! Why does everyone engage they're effects loops when they're not using them?

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Anyone have some info on the reversed bias i mentioned in a earlier post?
I would tend to believe you heard this from Bob @ Eurotubes, and yes it is possible, but I believe only with set of "cold" 6L6's, probably not the ones Mesa has spec'd for your amp. But if he said the stock Mesa tubes would be OK, then your amp will become more dynamic, and probably punchier at the cost of less tube life? I really don't think it's an issue when playing at bedroom levels though! Just play it for a few days and learn it! :idea:

ibanez4life SZ! said:
A few more things to add to my original question.....

I've been told that having a mesa modded with a bias pot is a good idea, allowing me to make the stock bias hotter to bring down the cross-over distortion? Worth it? Or should I just keep working at the amp and forget about modding?

I've also been told that running the 6L6's in the EL-34 mode can help the bias alot.....I'm afraid to try it though.....has anyone here tried it?

Not to discourage you from doing that, but your amp is a few days old. Get to know it a bit, get to know what you like and don't like about it.

While the bias is set 'properly' according to Bob and this should in theory be safe, I think what I mentioned earlier about getting to know it comes into play here as well. I spent 6 months with this amp without changing a single thing until I explored all the possible settings and noticing shortcomings I wished I could fix. At that point I started tweaking and am finally happy with my tone.. but it's so subjective that I could recommend something I love that you end up hating.

I think when you get your attenuator and run the OD in front, you'll feel more at home. 8)

That's what I'm going to do.....thanks alot platypus.

I'll get the attenuator, set it up how I plan to, and then mess with it from there! Sounds good!

Platypus said:
Not to discourage you from doing that, but your amp is a few days old. Get to know it a bit, get to know what you like and don't like about it.

While the bias is set 'properly' according to Bob and this should in theory be safe, I think what I mentioned earlier about getting to know it comes into play here as well. I spent 6 months with this amp without changing a single thing until I explored all the possible settings and noticing shortcomings I wished I could fix. At that point I started tweaking and am finally happy with my tone.. but it's so subjective that I could recommend something I love that you end up hating.

I think when you get your attenuator and run the OD in front, you'll feel more at home. 8)

I couldnt agree more
Mesa in general take a VERY long time to learn how to dial in. I think I was experimenting with mine for about half a year, before I really felt like I really knew it, and how to dial it in.

Its like the old saying goes, if it aint broke, dont fix it!
So try every possibly setting you can before you go try to retube things and what not.

Also, if you are playing at bedroom levels all the time why did you pick this gear? You may want to consider getting a smaller cab, as it will be easier to push the speakers into a little bit of distortion, which is part of that good ol rock n roll sound.

Trust me, the amp will be pushed and gigged.....but I also want to use my gig rig for practice. I love the amp! Still learning all the little things about it though.

Is'nt it amazing how a little tweak can alter the tone! Say your Treble from 1:00-1:30! While some people argue it's annoying, I find the versatility a welcome! And how that little change in Treble can alter the other tone controls! It really allows you to taylor a sound all your own! And while it can take some time, you'll probably find yourself tweaking again in a couple weeks! I usually find a common tone that I like between all of my guitars, so instead of tweaking the amp to each guitar, I like to leave the amp and enjoy the nuances of different guitars, woods, pups, etc, etc! It's great to double-track using different guitars! Anyways, have fun on your tone quest and share your experiences. :)

Latest posts

Back