Got my clean tone back!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dino.

Reaction score
Practicing with my buddy tonight and was getting REALLY frustrated with my clean tone.
I run a GMajor through the FX loop and noticed that when I would switch to channel one (clean), the signal was clipping and distorted. This didn't clip on any of the hi-gain channels. Just my clean channel. Weird. I've always been disappointed with my clean tone but tonight was particularly frustrating.

I unhooked all of the rack stuff and plugged straight into the amp.
I was sure the GMajor effects rack was the culprit.
I began adding pieces of my rig, one piece at a time.
Tuner, Power Conditioner, and finally my GMajor ... and it sounded great!
The clean channel was no longer clipping and notes rang out clear and true.
Then it dawned on me. I had one more piece of gear that I hadn't yet connected ... my wireless system.
Yep, I'm a dumbass. :mrgreen:

For years, I've heard how a wireless system sucks your tone, blah, blah, blah.
But I was never really able to tell a difference with other amps I've played through and never gave it much thought.
WoW, what a difference! I'm a little confused as to why it caused my clean channel to clip and distort but I'm so happy to finally have a nice clean channel in my arsenal.

Anyone wanna buy a wireless system? :mrgreen:

The Output level might be higher than when you plug your guitar straight into the amp. So either use the level control or get a wireless system with unity gain :)

I really doubt that your wireless was causing your G-Major to clip. It was most likely too high of a channel master or loop send level. Clean tones have much more dynamic range and are the most likely to cause headaches with proper level settings.

I have been using an X2 wireless for years and the only time I clip my G-Major is with incorrect level settings.

I would try the wireless again now that you have a good signal level. If it indeed is clipping you should adjust the output level of the wireless (as mentioned in the previous post) until it gives you the same signal level as a cable.

What brand of wireless is it?

Dom

domct203 said:
I really doubt that your wireless was causing your G-Major to clip. It was most likely too high of a channel master or loop send level. Clean tones have much more dynamic range and are the most likely to cause headaches with proper level settings.

I have been using an X2 wireless for years and the only time I clip my G-Major is with incorrect level settings.

I would try the wireless again now that you have a good signal level. If it indeed is clipping you should adjust the output level of the wireless (as mentioned in the previous post) until it gives you the same signal level as a cable.

What brand of wireless is it?

Dom

It's an AKG WS2000 wireless system (now discontinued).
It's actually a really nice system.
I've had it for many years and used it with my 5150 rig prior to getting the Dual Rectifier.

I probably just set it (probably too hot) when I first got it and never thought about it after that. I'm now wondering if maybe that was the reason I couldn't get any clean tones out of my 5150 (which ironically was the reason I bought the Mesa). The 5150 has a reputation as being a "one trick pony" with no REAL clean channel, so I sorta just accepted it.

I'll try adjusting the levels on the wireless when I get home and see if that helps.

elvis said:
+1

A quality compressor or limiter can also help tame the transient attack that tends to overrange the setup.

I've never liked compressors/limiters in my guitar rig.
Even with the most subtle settings, they tend to force me to alter the way I play.
I feel like I'm "fighting" something whenever I use a compressor/limiter.

YellowJacket said:
Are your gain tones sounding better too? Like punchier, more dynamic, and more aggressive?

Absolutely!
Everything sounds better.

I had even considered doing a mod to my FX loop to convert it from parallel to series, thinking that maybe that had something to do with it but even the efects sound better since discovering the issue with my wireless. I still may do the mod, but I don't feel the urgency as I did before.

If you set the compressor or limiter threshold really high, just below the point where it clips a processor, you'll never know it's there.

Dino. said:
YellowJacket said:
Are your gain tones sounding better too? Like punchier, more dynamic, and more aggressive?

Absolutely!
Everything sounds better.

I had even considered doing a mod to my FX loop to convert it from parallel to series, thinking that maybe that had something to do with it but even the efects sound better since discovering the issue with my wireless. I still may do the mod, but I don't feel the urgency as I did before.

Great news. Glad to be of service!
Replace that wireless with a high quality shielded instrument cable and you'll be good to go. (It doesn't need to be the boutique super tone enhancing kind, just a good one)

SonVolt said:
No, the 5150/6505's really do have awful cleans.

Agreed ...
It also has some awesome gain though.
The DR is my number one but I just can't bring myself to get rid of the 5150.
I'll call it "number two" in honor of it's clean tone. :lol:

I used a wireless system for a number of years when I was gigging like 1-2 times a week. I hated the tone I got with the wireless, even after spending LOTS of time tweaking everything. I realized that i wasn't playing arenas and really had no need for one so I ditched it. I don't really get why so many people use wireless systems when they're playing a small club or playing at home. Seems like a waste of batteries/tone. :)

deeman said:
I used a wireless system for a number of years when I was gigging like 1-2 times a week. I hated the tone I got with the wireless, even after spending LOTS of time tweaking everything. I realized that i wasn't playing arenas and really had no need for one so I ditched it. I don't really get why so many people use wireless systems when they're playing a small club or playing at home. Seems like a waste of batteries/tone. :)

It has it's advantages ...
On stage - it offers a little more freedom and eliminates any worries of someone tripping over your cord during a show.
At home - it helps keep your practice area nice and tidy and free of cords.

I've since adjusted the gain on the transmitter and the wireless now sounds "acceptable" but I'm back to using cords. :wink:

I always play wireless, even at home. I like to walk around when I play. Live I run all over the place. I have no difference in tone with wireless vs cables.

A really nice feature of wireless is no electrocution risk.

deeman said:

That's why I only use it live, and with rechargeable batteries :D Plus I have drunkenly stepped on my cable and unplugged it up to 3 or 4 times all in one set, so...

Back