Got an Export transformer, need some advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
Got hold of a Mark IIC/+ today with an export transformer. It's a beauty, but I'm scared shitless that something will happen to it so I've not dared to put it to test in case it blows up.

I got it from the U.K. so it got the U.K. standard plug at the end of the cord. The export transformer is set on 240V at the moment.

Now I happen to live in another part of Europe, another sort of plug and 230V in the electric system (U.K. also has 230V but the previous owner had it set at 240V for some reason).

Should I just get a regular stock plug adapter (toolshop down round the corner) and bump the export transformer down to 230V and have a go right away or do I need do adjust something inside the amp, change cables completely, use fancy special equipment/transformers, etc?

Also just to make sure, if some of you out there also got the export tranny, 240/230V is full clockwise right? The plug on top is missing on mine so its difficult to tell whats its pointing at (well, no it isn't but you can't be too sure right?) :)

Greatly appreciate any answers (off/on topic doesn't matter).

I think that you should bump the export transformer down to 230V because 230V is now in all European Union (-10%/+6% i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V). Australia is still on 240V.

Does any adapter work? I got one of those travel kit ones but hey.. it looks brittle.

Fred said:
Now I happen to live in another part of Europe, another sort of plug and 230V in the electric system (U.K. also has 230V but the previous owner had it set at 240V for some reason).

Should I just get a regular stock plug adapter (toolshop down round the corner) and bump the export transformer down to 230V and have a go right away or do I need do adjust something inside the amp, change cables completely, use fancy special equipment/transformers, etc?
You don't have to change anything inside the amp or use anything fancy since you already have the dogs bollocks of Mesa transformers, the export tranny ;) I'd recommend getting a proper localised plug fitted if you're going to live outside the UK.
Fred said:
Also just to make sure, if some of you out there also got the export tranny, 240/230V is full clockwise right? The plug on top is missing on mine so its difficult to tell whats its pointing at (well, no it isn't but you can't be too sure right?) :)
Yep, full clockwise right is 240v:
mesa20export20pt20knobjl7.jpg

Thank you all for the help! Fitted a new plug and bumped the voltage. Will be testing in a few minutes. Wish me luck! :D

If I don't respond later I've either blown the speaker and died in the process, or blown the speaker, survived and went away to shoot myself.

Tommy said:
I think that you should bump the export transformer down to 230V because 230V is now in all European Union (-10%/+6% i.e. 207.0 V-243.8 V). Australia is still on 240V.

I don't know what country you are living in.
But keep in mind that the European Union didn't change voltages in the nations. They just provide some blanket specs that allowed every nation's voltage system to be included.

For instance, I believe that Italy (at least, while I was living there at the end of the 80's) had a 220 V system, plus/minus 5%. Now they say they have a 230 V, plus 6% minus 10%. You can do the math.

Maybe, the amplifier will sound as designed if you use the 220 Volt selector position.

Still alive folks. Works like a charm and sounds like a beast, even though I forgot the standby switch in the on position first time I fired it up (that won't happen again) :D

Thanks for the help everyone (and the pictures).

I'll let it rest a few days now before I pull the guts out and check if its a real c+.

Hehe It's a Combo. I like it but plan to 'head it later if I can get my hands on a good vintage 4x12 or even 1x12 speaker (thiele or the like).

It's a Simul-Class, EQ, Reverb, export transformer in the hardwood combo box.
No scratches on the faceplate but it could have been changed. Minor nicks on the hardwood but other than that top shape. Even 4x 6L6 STR420 tubes in it.

Tried the C+ effects return test and it seems to be a true one, but I'll be taking some gut shots to make sure later this weekend. That is if I get get myself to stop playing and let the circuits rest a little :)

It got a pretty low serial number my bet its a C modded C+ (not the lowest # I've seen though) but as mentioned Ill take some shots of it and put it in a new thread later this weekend.

The rhythm channel got some crazy punch :D

Fred said:
Hehe It's a Combo. I like it but plan to 'head it later if I can get my hands on a good vintage 4x12 or even 1x12 speaker (thiele or the like).

It's a Simul-Class, EQ, Reverb, export transformer in the hardwood combo box.
No scratches on the faceplate but it could have been changed. Minor nicks on the hardwood but other than that top shape. Even 4x 6L6 STR420 tubes in it.

Tried the C+ effects return test and it seems to be a true one, but I'll be taking some gut shots to make sure later this weekend. That is if I get get myself to stop playing and let the circuits rest a little :)

It got a pretty low serial number my bet its a C modded C+ (not the lowest # I've seen though) but as mentioned Ill take some shots of it and put it in a new thread later this weekend.

The rhythm channel got some crazy punch :D

you may have not died by firing up the amp, but be assured that if that's a factory C+, Boogiebabies will be hunting you down before you finish see your reply posted.

Latest posts

Back