Got a dual rectifier but....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrocker

Reaction score
Hey all so I just got a mesa boogie dual rectifier 2 channel version off craigslist . I've been messing around a little while and I'm having trouble finding a good tone. Here is the sound I'm looking for http://www.netmusicians.org/?value=M...s)&section=amp its the second clip. Right now I have just been plugging into the head and playing. Do I need a distortion pedal for this sound? Possibly EQ's? Right now I'm using a Gibson SG with plugged into the head coming out of a 4 x 12 mesa cab. I have a line 6 pod xt should i use the eq/compressor/noise gate in this or get a dedicated one? Thanks for any help!

Hi,
Are you trying to get the Splawn Nitro sound? This is the second clip on the page that link takes you too. If so, this Splawn has EL34 tubes in it and your Boogie most likely has 6L6 tubes which are 2 totally different sounds. The EL34 sound will give you more of a Brit Hi-Gain (Marshall)sound and the 6L6 will give more of a bassier (is that a word?) nu-metal tone ala Nickelback, Seether. Alot of people put a Tube Screamer or some type of distortion pedal in front of a Rectifier to get a little more gain. 6L6 tube amps do not sound particularly good at low volumes because the tubes are not being pushed, but when you crank them up is when you get that nice warm thump that makes your nuts vibrate! :wink:

yes i have 6l6 tubes. i have the volume about half way is that loud enough? ok i will try to get to guitar center in the next week a tubescreamer. i have heard that the bbe sonic maximizer works too any one have experiance with this or any other distiortion pedal reccomendations? i deffinatly dont need more distortion the main problem is the palm mutes seem to be a bit muddy and not so defined. open chords sound great tho. thanks!

i just realize that is the wrong link http://www.netmusicians.org/?value=Mesa%20Boogie%20Dual%20Rectifier%20(3%20Channels)&section=amp try that

This new link works but you have to copy and paste the last few characters in manually. This clip if I listened to the correct one is the beginning of Killswitch Engage's "End of Heartache". If you look at the description area on this clip it shows that he used a Maxon OD-808 for his boost or overdrive with EMG 81/85 pickups going thru a custom 2-12 speaker cab with Eminence Governor speakers. Any or all of these factors can drastically alter tone. If this is the sound that you are after you could try to get as much of the above as reasonably possible. Will you be able to duplicate this sound exactly? Proabably not. But this is why most of us guitar players are never completely and totally happy (I personally don't know a guitar player who is) with our tone and we will always be "tone chasers". Good luck! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back