Good Wha-Wha pedal for a Mark amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csaws1

Reaction score
I have a markiic+ and I'm having a hard time getting a good sound with the Wah-Wah pedal. It's a Digitech RP500. I'm sure it has more to do with the pedal than anything. Does anybody have suggestions on a Wha-Wha pedal that works good with their Mark amps? I've tried turning down the treble on the amp, and rolling back the tone knob on the guitar. I still have trouble with uncontrolled feedback.BTW playing a strat most of the time.
Thanks

I have a Custom Audio Electronics wah that I really like. It has side "kick switches " that give the pedal 4 different sounds. They are kind of like filters which would probably help you with your feedback problem also. It's a really nice pedal and sounds great. I'm not really a big wah kind of player so I just use it occasionally.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MC404CAE/

With the RP-500, try the Cry Baby model, and reduce the Wah Level to try to reduce feedback.
As a separate wah, I like the discontinued Dunlop JH-1 Hendrix Wah. It's not as bright as a standard wah, and that helps with feedback.
You can find them used cheap on eBay, for example. It works well with my Mark IIIs.
Feedback depends a lot on how much gain you use, how loud you play, and how close to the speaker you are.
Wah before gain should get less feedback than placing the overdrive/distortion/fuzz first.
Hope this helps. :D

I'm partial to Dunlop wahs. My personal view is that why other people have focused on producing "authentic" vintage wah sounds Dunlop has been focused on the modern wah market, and thus making a selection of wahs that jive well with high gain amplifiers.

My favourite is the Cantrell Wah. It's a darker, bassier wah that can still get reasonably bright in the toe down if you roll the bright knob all the way up.

I use an old VOX v847, but i like my wah in your face, and vintage sounding...

The best ive ever used is the dimebag signature crybaby from hell (I think its called?) it has all the sweep controls on it. It's well worth the cash. I think Dunlop makes the Crybaby with similar controls that isnt dimebag's signature.

BTW, heres a riteous video everyone should watch about wahs...

http://vimeo.com/20902369

Thanks for the good input and suggestions I'll try to find a few at local stores to try out the ones suggested here. I'll try to readjust my RP500 as MrMark111 suggested also.

On the Cry Baby, standard (non 535C) models tend to push into the bright and brittle range at extreme toe-down. So, the trick is to pull the pot out and advance it then pop the gear back on and reinstall. Twist it enough so that full toe down is now the meatier range . These were made to tweak.

kdorsey said:
On the Cry Baby, standard (non 535C) models tend to push into the bright and brittle range at extreme toe-down. So, the trick is to pull the pot out and advance it then pop the gear back on and reinstall. Twist it enough so that full toe down is now the meatier range . These were made to tweak.

+1 that's an old trick that still works well to this day. I have a Dunlop Cry Baby that I've been using for about 30 years now. It's my old trusted standard, built like a tank and hasn't failed me all these decades!

MrMarkIII said:
Wah before gain should get less feedback than placing the overdrive/distortion/fuzz first.
Hope this helps. :D

+1 Another good suggestion. Been doing it that way for many years. Actually my personal preferred setup.

Pedal position in the chain makes a huge difference as mentioned above.

But most of all id recommend picking up a good wah. Lots of guys are diggin the MC404 wah (CAE/MXR) But if you got the $$$ any of the Teese RMC wah will eat anything on the market IMO.

Always buy used and Happy Shopping

I used to love wahs when I had my first mark IV...then I sold it, and spent years unsatisfied with any wah through any other amp...Now that I have my mesa back, almost all wahs sound good! This amp can make a wah so much rounder and harmonic than anything else.

You don't have to remove the gear. Just loosen the screw holding the straight gear (the one attached to the treadle) and turn the pot with your fingers until it sounds right.
Then mesh the gears back together and tighten the tension strap.
You can do this while the wah is plugged in, flipped over, with the bottom plate removed.
This is probably the oldest DIY pedal mod in the books.

Hi,
I use wah, with Mk II (a) and (C+).
I really like the Dunlop JH-1, mine has a true bypass switch and an LED added, which to me is essential.
In a band situation, lights, smoke machine, loud drummers and occasionally havign trouble hearing everything on stage, there is nothing worse that than leaving the wah half on. You many not notice for 20 seconds, while you sound limp and thin!
Cheers Ian

I like my old Budda Bud-Wah. Smoother sounding, does not have that harsh high end of Crybabys, but sometimes that sound is useful as well. I have found that most modelers have inferior sounding wahs - maybe it's something that's difficult to achieve digitally.

I use a Crybaby 535Q With the boost switch..I like the tone control, helps you dial in the sound. +1 on the Gear/pot trick...I have a vintage Shaller...thats really the best..I have to get it modified to accept my power supply..

Back