good, small, inexpensive amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maury

Reaction score
Here's the deal... I got a Boss RC20xl loop station and I need to give my drummer a good monitor so he can hear the loop nice & loud. After much debate, we're gonna try in-ear monitors this weekend but I have a feeling he won't like using 'em. If that's the case, I want to find a small amp. This amp does not have to be a boogie, or even a tube amp at all. It just needs to fit the following criteria:

1) small & lightweight
2) good clean channel with headroom
3) 10" or 12" speaker
4) cheap

This amp's sole duty will be to amplify clean loops and the only person who will hear it is the drummer... not the rest of the band, not the audience. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance,

Maury

Peavey Backstage 50. I have one and it has never failed. I use it at practice sometimes if I don't feel like lugging the Maverick. 50 watts, a 10 inch speaker (i put a Scorpion in mine - ROCKS), and indestructable. I got mine on ebay and it was around $90 including shipping. Hard to beat the old-school Peavey solid state stuff.

I agree with six. Go cheap and go Peavey since those two go together like Dr Quinn and Medicine woman.

Peavey will give you what you need and you can probably find one for less than $50 in working condition and you might even find that it will a good backup for your boogie in the event of a complete failure.

Greg

Well if he really wants the noise of a full band + and extra amp blaring at him then that's his choice - I just hope he's using ear plugs. In-ears are the way to go if you don't want to lose your hearing.

Well, we're a very quiet 3-piece, so its not the wall of unbearable sound that some heavy 5-pieces are. We mike the kick drum to match the volume of his whole kit, and then we (bassist and I) play "under him". So this extra amp won't be all that loud at all. But I see your point. We're usiing one Bose L1 PAS and that helps us stay quiet too.

It's a common problem. Drummers are behind, or at least beside, guitar amps and can't hear them well. That's why I don't like closed back cabs. In a small 200/300 seat club I don't want to mike my amp and have my tone coming out of 15's and horns. It's silly. But then you can't go into the drummers personal moniter mix, assuming you have enough pa to give everybody a separate mix. With an open back combo (or cab) they can hear you better.

Anyhow he's not gonna need ear plugs, because he's BEHIND the band, and he's not hearing you. And a 50 watt Peavey ain't gonna hurt him.

Best of luck.

Murph.

Latest posts

Back