Good cab choice for a dual rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jdurso said:
mackenziedeth said:
****, the guy already sold his Basson. I'll have to try any find a Canadian dealer, although their site doesn't even have an option for Canada...

i'd definitely shoot shawn green from basson an email... he's a great guy to deal with and maybe able to help you out

Yeah I had a few emails with the guy. Very helpful, and offered to sell me a cab for 750 shipped, but with customs it would have been rediculous. I emailed a store in Canada that sells Basson and he said the amp was 600 but I'd have to pay an extra 400 for the cost of them having it shipped to the store, and then extra shipping to me :? . I don't know what I'm going to do at the moment, but I won't be buying a 600$ cab for 1000$ thats for sure.

mackenziedeth said:
jdurso said:
mackenziedeth said:
****, the guy already sold his Basson. I'll have to try any find a Canadian dealer, although their site doesn't even have an option for Canada...

i'd definitely shoot shawn green from basson an email... he's a great guy to deal with and maybe able to help you out

Yeah I had a few emails with the guy. Very helpful, and offered to sell me a cab for 750 shipped, but with customs it would have been rediculous. I emailed a store in Canada that sells Basson and he said the amp was 600 but I'd have to pay an extra 400 for the cost of them having it shipped to the store, and then extra shipping to me :? . I don't know what I'm going to do at the moment, but I won't be buying a 600$ cab for 1000$ thats for sure.

man that sucks.... i wouldnt spend 1000 on a 600 cab either..... seriously try and be patient until the right cab pops up locally. Are their any canadian cab builders that you know of?

TheSoulsRemain said:
Hi,
If You want a real cab for You DR :
http://www.nos-amps.com

I'm playing on Pre500 DR, I've tryed a lot af MESA CAB, but they are not at the level of these cabs.
The convenint : they are very heavy.
NOS make cabs as the tone You want. I've tryed 3 NOS 412 CABS and the first time I've played on it I was very disapointed.
One Year later, I've phoned to NOS to have an explanation about this problem, the answer was simple. The cab I've tryed wasn't designed for Recto.
So, I've tryed a NOS cab designed for a 5150mk2 and I must say that the NOS cab sound better than the PV cab with Sheffield.
I've tryed a Fender 62' DUAL SHOWMAN with his cab and a NOS cab and one more time the NOS was better.

In all case, NOS cabs are more precise (and a lot more ! ) and more respectful of the tone of the guitar and the tone of the Head. You can play at high sound pressure, the cab will not saturate.
It'very difficult to explain in details who it sound.

Another details : In France, a MESA RECTO STD cab is sold 1290€ and a NOS STANDARD designed for REcto is sold 990€. 300€ (400USD) of difference and the MESA is not so good about the fabrication.

If You want more details about it I can ask to a NOS's tech to explain why these cab are higher than other (That's my opinion :D )

BY

Richard

rich is there a way to view that site in english??

TheSoulsRemain said:
rich is there a way to view that site in english??

No, at this time, there is no English site.
Maybe I can help You, and maybe Gerard Will post here.

i'm just wondering whether they worth 1150 USD for a 2x12 cab... thats almost Hiwatt crazy..... obviously since i dont speak french what makes these cabs so specail?? i mean the speakers only amount to about 250-275 in cost which is probably less if you order in bulk... maybe its more affordible compared to buying a mesa cab in europe, but in the states 1150 (i'm not even including shipping which probably brings it up near 1500 usd) for a 2x12 cab is a little much

TheSoulsRemain said:
In all case, NOS cabs are more precise (and a lot more ! ) and more respectful of the tone of the guitar and the tone of the Head. You can play at high sound pressure, the cab will not saturate.
It'very difficult to explain in details who it sound.

Another details : In France, a MESA RECTO STD cab is sold 1290€ and a NOS STANDARD designed for REcto is sold 990€. 300€ (400USD) of difference and the MESA is not so good about the fabrication.

sound wise what your describing sounds a lot like the US company Basson..... and as far the cab not saturating i think what you might have meant is the speakers distorting..... speaker distortion isnt such a bad thing... infact when mixed with a speaker that doesnt distort you get a very balanced tone..... the speakers that break up are very warm and dark, and the ones that dont are very clear and bright, which ends up creating an awsome mix..... now if by cab saturation you meant the cab filling up once you drive it hard enough with the head, well thats something that you want to achieve... its makes the tone very big and for a recto at higher volumes (when you tubes start to clip) you get a very evened out tone which for leads is very desirable..... i'm not doubting how good they sound but to claim they are shoulders above mesa, especially in terms build quality, is kind of outrageous

By "cab saturaturation" I want to detailed that at High sound pressure, the cab (like 1960A) is vibrating, the building is not design for a high sound pressure and the cab is not respectuf in low ends.

they are shoulders above mesa, especially in terms build quality, is kind of outrageous

I'm playing on pre500 DR and when I've bought my DR in 94, I have played on SLANT RECTO STD. I'm not sure that the mesa cab built in 92 is the same than a mesa cab built in 2008. Actually they are made of Birch 17 plys, but NOS cab are made of 19 plys.
In addition, my reflexion is not so bad if you consider that I live in France.
A MESA CAB is more expenssive than a NOS designed for a RECTO.
If there is a way to test this cab I'm sure that You will be very very surprised by this amazing sound.

Don't hesitate for mail him for more details about specs and prices

By

Richard

TheSoulsRemain said:
By "cab saturaturation" I want to detailed that at High sound pressure, the cab (like 1960A) is vibrating, the building is not design for a high sound pressure and the cab is not respectuf in low ends.

they are shoulders above mesa, especially in terms build quality, is kind of outrageous

I'm playing on pre500 DR and when I've bought my DR in 94, I have played on SLANT RECTO STD. I'm not sure that the mesa cab built in 92 is the same than a mesa cab built in 2008. Actually they are made of Birch 17 plys, but NOS cab are made of 19 plys.
In addition, my reflexion is not so bad if you consider that I live in France.
A MESA CAB is more expenssive than a NOS designed for a RECTO.
If there is a way to test this cab I'm sure that You will be very very surprised by this amazing sound.

Don't hesitate for mail him for more details about specs and prices

By

Richard

i have no doubts about how good it sounds.... its just not economical for someone here in the states..... the 4x12 cab over here ends up being around 1500 with the euro/usd conversion and thats before shipping.... i can only imagine how much it would be to ship that from France (300-500 usd).... so now we're talking almost $2000 usd which can buy me two mesa cabs.... now for someone in europe it makes perfect sense since the mesa cab is more expensive for you

as far as the cab saturation i still dont get how you think mesa's construction isnt designed for the recto or is somehow subpar.... i can understand you referncing some marshall cabs because they really werent meant for that much low end, but the recto cabs were designed for the recto and its low end.... now if you just prefer the sound of the NOS thats a different story but mesa cabs can more than handle the cab saturation the rectos push through them

its just not economical for someone here in the states..
Yes You ve right.

the recto cabs were designed for the recto and its low end...

You have right too.

But what I mean is the NOS is more respectuf of the Recto sound than a MESA cab.

In 2 weeks, I will record a demo song with a friend who has a MESA std. I'll post the 2 sound with the same riff, guitar and mic.

TheSoulsRemain said:
its just not economical for someone here in the states..
Yes You ve right.

the recto cabs were designed for the recto and its low end...

You have right too.

But what I mean is the NOS is more respectuf of the Recto sound than a MESA cab.

In 2 weeks, I will record a demo song with a friend who has a MESA std. I'll post the 2 sound with the same riff, guitar and mic.

i know there is a slight language barrier here so can you explain to me what you mean by respectful? this way we're on the same page.... i'm looking forward to the clips

It's very difficult to explain in this language, but first, when you play on this cab, the sound is more precise. It's very close to the way that you playing guitar. This cab is able to respect more the nuance that you are doing while playing than the recto cabs.
I'vre tryed it with my Schecter California Custom and with a Jackson USA KK.
The difference between these two cabs is not very important when you are listening a guitar player, but when you are playing it's amazing !!!

But finally, there is a "music culture" very different between us.
What I mean is that If Machine HEAD were a French band, I'm sure that MH will not sound as they sound actually. It's clear when You are listening bands who works with Scott Burns or Colin Richardson.
We have different musical story and it's influence the sound that we reaching.
The majority of French Metal band wants to sound like US metal bands even If they are saying not.

When I use the Mesa Cab I'm wondering always wich is the thing missing to have a better sound. (In the way to have a better sound).
I know that a lot of guitarist are not playing with the material you can find in store, in example Kerry King or Robert Flynn and a lot of guys who make mods with their amps. ANd in Studio you can use reamping, multi-heads mix.....
When I 've heard the Nos that Gerard designed fot the Recto, I'm not wondering which is the thing's missing

....I'm not sure if it's clear, but I tryed ! :D

this way we're on the same page.... i'm looking forward to the clips

Sorry Ive not understood :oops:

TheSoulsRemain said:
It's very difficult to explain in this language, but first, when you play on this cab, the sound is more precise. It's very close to the way that you playing guitar. This cab is able to respect more the nuance that you are doing while playing than the recto cabs.
I'vre tryed it with my Schecter California Custom and with a Jackson USA KK.
The difference between these two cabs is not very important when you are listening a guitar player, but when you are playing it's amazing !!!

But finally, there is a "music culture" very different between us.
What I mean is that If Machine HEAD were a French band, I'm sure that MH will not sound as they sound actually. It's clear when You are listening bands who works with Scott Burns or Colin Richardson.
We have different musical story and it's influence the sound that we reaching.
The majority of French Metal band wants to sound like US metal bands even If they are saying not.

When I use the Mesa Cab I'm wondering always wich is the thing missing to have a better sound. (In the way to have a better sound).
I know that a lot of guitarist are not playing with the material you can find in store, in example Kerry King or Robert Flynn and a lot of guys who make mods with their amps. ANd in Studio you can use reamping, multi-heads mix.....
When I 've heard the Nos that Gerard designed fot the Recto, I'm not wondering which is the thing's missing

....I'm not sure if it's clear, but I tryed ! :D

this way we're on the same page.... i'm looking forward to the clips

Sorry Ive not understood :oops:

on the same page means we understand one another..... i get where you are coming from as far is the feel of the cab as opposed to the sound

also i agree with the music culture differences between the US and Europe.... even in say the Metal genre i find the european bands to be about precision and technique where as US bands are more about the "feel" of a song and the image of the band.... even music listeners in the US vs. Europe is different..... i find europeans more accepting to different music (pop, rock, metal, etc) where as in the US you have scene's which is more about an image rather than the music.... thats why there are so many aweful bands coming out of the US..... compare a band like Opeth to say machine head.... both great bands but Opeth are way more refined and are hands down better writers.... i think that has a lot to do with the musical culture of europe

anyway, when you can get some clips make sure you post them

Ok, so I've been looking at some local ads to see what cabs I can find. one guy offered me a Marshall JCM800 bass cab with celestion G12T75s installed so essentially its a marshall 1960 cab. Is this a good cab to pair with a dual rec for metal? Im also considering avatar, since I found a dealer in Canada. The marshall would run me 500, and the avatar would run me about 650.

Any thoughts?

mackenziedeth said:
Ok, so I've been looking at some local ads to see what cabs I can find. one guy offered me a Marshall JCM800 bass cab with celestion G12T75s installed so essentially its a marshall 1960 cab. Is this a good cab to pair with a dual rec for metal? Im also considering avatar, since I found a dealer in Canada. The marshall would run me 500, and the avatar would run me about 650.

Any thoughts?

i'm not big on marshall cabs with rectos.... it just seems like the marshall cabs arent built to handle the bottom end of the recto...... as for the avatar if thats your only other choice (not a terrible thing).... make sure you go for the g412 vintage custom cab or the contemporary models.... their builds are better fit for a recto.... its nice you get your choice of speakers built into the price.... i really dig either a v30/gt75 or v30/CL80 in an x pattern.... the cl80s from what i hear are very much like the mesa c90s which are great mixed with the v30s especially when paired with a recto..... the v30/gt75 combo sounds awesome as well.... bogners use the xpattern in many of their cabs..... for the prices you mentioned i'd go avatar hands down because your getting a new cab rather than a used marshall cab .... have you checked out craigslist??

jdurso said:
mackenziedeth said:

Any thoughts?

i'm not big on marshall cabs with rectos.... it just seems like the marshall cabs arent built to handle the bottom end of the recto...... as for the avatar if thats your only other choice (not a terrible thing).... make sure you go for the g412 vintage custom cab or the contemporary models.... their builds are better fit for a recto.... its nice you get your choice of speakers built into the price.... i really dig either a v30/gt75 or v30/CL80 in an x pattern.... the cl80s from what i hear are very much like the mesa c90s which are great mixed with the v30s especially when paired with a recto..... the v30/gt75 combo sounds awesome as well.... bogners use the xpattern in many of their cabs..... for the prices you mentioned i'd go avatar hands down because your getting a new cab rather than a used marshall cab .... have you checked out craigslist??

Yeah, I had a feeling pairing a marshall cab with a recto wouldn't be the best idea. Not a lot of Canadians really use Craigslist compared to Americans, so that's a pretty tough one too. I'm really dissapointed about the whole basson thing, because they reviews they've been getting are pretty insane and I'd love to get one, but it seems unless you're in the States, the price is pretty hefty. I guess I'll keep looking into the Avatar cabs. I assume I'd more than likely be looking at the G412 custom series cabs then? 600 plus 5 bucks shipping and 15 for a set of casters seems pretty good, and Avatar seems to have a good rep, so maybe I'll have o go that route. Although apparently it takes like 3 weeks before most people from the Canadian store get their orders...

mackenziedeth said:
jdurso said:
mackenziedeth said:

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I had a feeling pairing a marshall cab with a recto wouldn't be the best idea. Not a lot of Canadians really use Craigslist compared to Americans, so that's a pretty tough one too. I'm really dissapointed about the whole basson thing, because they reviews they've been getting are pretty insane and I'd love to get one, but it seems unless you're in the States, the price is pretty hefty. I guess I'll keep looking into the Avatar cabs. I assume I'd more than likely be looking at the G412 custom series cabs then? 600 plus 5 bucks shipping and 15 for a set of casters seems pretty good, and Avatar seems to have a good rep, so maybe I'll have o go that route. Although apparently it takes like 3 weeks before most people from the Canadian store get their orders...

yeah i can imagine trying to find gear in canada is tough.... i think the g412 is a nice cab for the money especially since you can customize them.... i think the most important part is getting the right speakers..... mesa cabs usually have either v30s or c90s and the mix of the two is awesome with a recto...... i for myself like emeinence legends 125s with v30s... the legends are the same as what basson uses..... they mic really well because the legends are very clear speakers that favor the top end and the v30s have a great mid punch and they break up easier... the combination of the two sounds awesome

Has anyone tried a Randall Warhead with a dual rectifier? 4x12 Celestion V30s seems pretty good to pair with the rectifier. Im having some problems with my head at the moment (keeps blowing the fuse) but I'd like to know if anyone has tried a warhead cab before (I found a local one for 600$)

mackenziedeth said:
Has anyone tried a Randall Warhead with a dual rectifier? 4x12 Celestion V30s seems pretty good to pair with the rectifier. Im having some problems with my head at the moment (keeps blowing the fuse) but I'd like to know if anyone has tried a warhead cab before (I found a local one for 600$)

I was about to ask a similar question. I'm in Canada (new brunsick) and good gear is pretty tough to come by. I'm thinking about buying a 3-ch dual recto and was mulling my options as far as cabs are concerned and i'd settled on a Randall R412CB, which i believe is very similar to the Warhead without the metal grill in the front. It's got the V30's in it and musiciansfriend.com has it for $500 with free shipping. I can get it shipped to the border and bring it over myself and pay a few bucks duty on it.

Would this be a good pairing?

Back