Good 1x12 Cab for Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
I have my 4x12 w/ Vintage 30's, but I need a portable cab.

I know I'm limited going with a 1x12 due to wattage so I was wondering what you guys use/recommend.

Hendog said:
I have my 4x12 w/ Vintage 30's, but I need a portable cab.

I know I'm limited going with a 1x12 due to wattage so I was wondering what you guys use/recommend.

not really that limited :) try an evm in a 1x12. you really can't lose closed or open back with that speaker. unless you're going for warm, grindy, lower-gain stuff like vintage tweed or vox tones. that might not work as well. my 2 cents anyway.

however, width-wise, the thiele 1x12 is narrower, so if you wanna match the width of a head you are limited to the open backs.

You can now get a widebody front ported cabinet ( some call it a Thiele but Mesa says thats wrong) that has 1x12 C-90 speaker. Fits a Mark V head perfect, I bought one about a week ago but they are hard to find.

JLBoogie said:
You can now get a widebody front ported cabinet ( some call it a Thiele but Mesa says thats wrong) that has 1x12 C-90 speaker. Fits a Mark V head perfect, I bought one about a week ago but they are hard to find.

This cabinet is in stock at Sweetwater. I highly recommend asking for LUKE. He will give you some discount or shipping help.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ThieleCabW112/

While it does come stock with a C90, I have purchased a EVM12L and will be auditioning this over the weekend. I hope to be able to do lengthy A/B comparisons. I have a Bogner Cube 1 x 12" with a V30. I have been using the Bogner for a few years and it is my favorite 1 x 12". I feel the Mesa cabinet is bigger sounding and it sure looks good with the MV combo. Did the OP post this thread on TGP? I saw it there but didn't leave any comments.

I have a mark V head coming next week and I also ordered the 1X12 closed back wide body front ported cab . I made a few changes though . I ordered mine with a V30 and a Boogie badge to match the head . No extra charge for those .

How would that 1x12 avatar vintage sound with a G100k?

I'm thinking either that or the Mesa 1x12 from sweetwater above.

I take that back, the one above is a closed back. I was looking at the Mesa express open back.

Close back is too directional.

I have the combo but I have the express 1X12 as an extra cab and stack them up ... I think with that cab and the head it's gonna sound pretty much like the combo. It's open back, same dimensions and same speaker ... the only difference really is the real estate taken up by the amp part of the combo, so a little more resonating room in the cabinet. That being said, show me someone who thinks their ears could tell the difference between that bit of resonating room, especially in an already small open backed cab and I'll show you a dreamer!

I doubt I will get around to it soon, but I should do a comparison ... put the cab side by side on the floor with the amp. Then go back and forth plugging in the internal speaker alone and then unplugging it and plugging in the cabinet, see if I can notice a difference... might be fun... but as I said I will at most possibly be able to tell which cabinet the sound is coming from, not any real tonal difference. If I get around to it some time I will post up my findings.

litesnsirens said:
I have the combo but I have the express 1X12 as an extra cab and stack them up ... I think with that cab and the head it's gonna sound pretty much like the combo. It's open back, same dimensions and same speaker ... the only difference really is the real estate taken up by the amp part of the combo, so a little more resonating room in the cabinet. That being said, show me someone who thinks their ears could tell the difference between that bit of resonating room, especially in an already small open backed cab and I'll show you a dreamer!

I doubt I will get around to it soon, but I should do a comparison ... put the cab side by side on the floor with the amp. Then go back and forth plugging in the internal speaker alone and then unplugging it and plugging in the cabinet, see if I can notice a difference... might be fun... but as I said I will at most possibly be able to tell which cabinet the sound is coming from, not any real tonal difference. If I get around to it some time I will post up my findings.

Thats sort of what I was thinking. If I get the Express 1x12 cab, I can use my head like the combo.

If you follow the link above to Sweetwater you find out they don't have any. Like I said they are hard to find, I think I bought the last one from Sweetwater. Would like to find another or a widebody express cab with open back. To me the Thiele 1x12 sounds great for cleans but verdict is still out when using channel 3. The bass sounds funny if turned up also so I also use a cab with vintage 30's

there is always the regular widebody 1x12
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/COMPACTcabs/WidebodyOB-1x12-LG.htm

the dimensions are slightly different than the express cabinet.

I absolutely LOVE my EV loaded 3/4 back 1x12. I highly recommend it! I had a Recto 2x12 in the house for a month and chose the 3/4 back over it.

MusicManJP6 said:
I absolutely LOVE my EV loaded 3/4 back 1x12. I highly recommend it! I had a Recto 2x12 in the house for a month and chose the 3/4 back over it.

What is the idea behind the 3/4 back? Full but tight and not directional?

Hendog said:
MusicManJP6 said:

What is the idea behind the 3/4 back? Full but tight and not directional?

I would say that is a fair description. It is the best of both worlds (open and closed back). It is airy, but still a closed back enough to keep the bottom end intact. I love how it fills a room. It is not too heavy either - even with the EV installed.

That sounds interesting - has anyone done a comparison between the 1x12 3/4 open back and the newer widebody 1x12 closed back, front ported (that seems really hard to find). They both fit the Mark V head well, size-wise.

I'm looking at this as my only cab for a Mark V head - mostly for bedroom/practicing and maybe some band practice for now.

skeeter said:
That sounds interesting - has anyone done a comparison between the 1x12 3/4 open back and the newer widebody 1x12 closed back, front ported (that seems really hard to find). They both fit the Mark V head well, size-wise.

I'm looking at this as my only cab for a Mark V head - mostly for bedroom/practicing and maybe some band practice for now.

That's what I use it for, and have no complaints. I'd use it for gigs too since it's got the 200 watt EV speaker installed. I doubt i'll be able to harm that thing! The ported widebody probably has better bass response, but is gonna be more directional since it's a closed back.

I use a pair of 3/4 back widebody 1x12's with the Black Shadow Celestion MC90 speakers - sounds way bigger than you'd expect for 1x12's.

Back