Going to Sell this Amp *sniffle*

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally LOVE the tone of this amp.......the only thing I would possibly swap it for is a Marshall TSL......(three channels)........going to gig with this amp this weekend and see what she'll do for me.......

I know what you mean.......the only amp I've ever truly loved was an old Laney LC-50.......had it when I was new to tubes........it started to go bad....(didn't know about changing the tubes) so I got rid of it.....*kick-kick-kick*..........and never been truly happy since......that was about 15 years ago *lol*

scottcrud said:
I found my Hydra Boost on e-bay new in the box for $75.00, most stores have them for around $80-90. And I woulda paid $80-90 for what it does. Just do a search on e-bay, and I'm sure you'll find one.

I use the Carl Martin Hot Drive N Boost. It gives you the boost like the Hydra boost and it also gives you a seperate switchable distortion flavor you can use. Great pedal and can be had on ebay for close to the price listed by scottcrud.

The thing I like about the Hydra Boost is that it uses a 9 volt battery or a power supply, most of the Carl Martin pedals are power supply only and the newer battery operated ones are not true bypass. But the Hydra boost is true bypass, plus I really don't have a need for a distortion channel since the Boogie has more than enough gain for me, and I play metal/thrash/hardcore/punk. But regardless, the Hot Drive and Boost is a good pedal, I guess it comes down to your application.

Does your Hot Drive-N-Boost make noise when it's not in the circuit?

I tried the original and the Mark II version last week. The Mark II made a hideous noise when the pedal was bypassed.

The original didn't work at all, there were several broken resistors on the circuit board.

Neither one of them look like they are wired for True-Bypass.

I decided to just hot-rod my DS-1, although I can't figure out how to make it True-Bypass without putting it in another chassis.

I did like the tone of the Hot Drive though.

honeyburst, I sent you the above mentioned circuit design to your hotmail address. You will just need to add a switch to it.

okay....the day after the 1st gig with this amp........I took along my line-6 as a back up.....IT NEVER LEFT THE VAN !!!......a good friend of mine (Steve Sheroan of the band August Christopher...look 'em up, they're great)....suggested that I play the amp at a gig.....he said it would sound different "out" than it does in my living room......he was COMPLETELY right....in my home, it didn't sound like anything was providing much boost for leads.....well, got to the gig....my bass player suggested cranking my mids a little (on the integrated EQ)...and rolling back the bass (on the knob).....hooked up my Semour Duncan Pick-Up Booster through the front....turned up about 1/3 (10 o'clock)....viola !!! I had a great lead boost !!!......the moral of this story.....NEVER trust how ANYTHING sounds until you play/use it LIVE !!!.........
Thanks for everyone's help here.....I took back the stomp box EQ and the Tube Screamer (why mess with perfect tone?).....going to buy a delay (going to look for an old blue face Rockman)......and just be HAPPY !!!

If you don't have the owners manual it may be worth your while to down-load it from the Mesa factory site. It has some good examples of settings. One thing to remember on a Mesa is once you get the midrange control past "4" it adds gain.

honeyburst said:
hooked up my Semour Duncan Pick-Up Booster through the front....turned up about 1/3 (10 o'clock)....viola !!! I had a great lead boost !!!

Just saw this thread.

Yes, the boost (or EQ used as a boost) works better between the guitar/amp rather than the effects loop:
1. Gives you a boost
2. Gives you more compression (slams pre/power tubes)
3. Adds more gain/grit

Effects loop should be for, well, effects like delay/reverb/modulation.

Another neat trick, if you use an OD/Distortion stomp for another "channel", place the Clean Boost pre OD/Dis...use the OD/Dis for another rhythm channel on the Clean channel and kick in the boost for the leads - really slams the pedal - more sustain, gain and a volume bump. Pretty cool...gives you all kinds of "channels":
Clean
Clean + EQ
Clean + OD/Dist
Clean + EQ + OD/Dist
Drive
Drive + EQ
Drive + OD/Dist
Drive + EQ + OD/Dist
From one amp...and then throw in a couple different guitars and you have a nice, versatile, tone smorgasbord!! :twisted:

I agree with everything in that last post........except for the "couple of different guitars".....who needs more than a LesPaul ??? :wink:

posting a new question in the main forum....let's see what response that gets !

again....THANKS TO EVERYONE !!!!!

Latest posts

Back