Going to Sell this Amp *sniffle*

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeyburst

Reaction score
okay....I've tried everything I can think of......and things others have thought of....I guess I need a three channel amp.......I love the clean sound, love the crunch sound.......but no matter what I try, I can't get any kind of "lead boost"......I thought an EQ or Tube Screamer would work, but at lunch today I took it to "gig volume".....no joy......
What's a great condition "blond" DC-5 worth ?

listen, before you sell it, try this. Get a eq pedal ( boss etc.) or a Carl Martin Hydra Boost pedal ( which is what I use with my DC-10) and hook it up through your fx loop, instant solo boost.

found out that the reason the reverb goes crazy.......when I run a pedal throught the effects loop, the effects loop is "pre-reverb"...so when I boost the signal for the pedal, I'm boosting the reverb also !!!......

bought the amp from GC for $699 about a week ago.......I'm going to take it to my gig Saturday night, but I'm carrying my line-6 as a back up

honeyburst, I will try and do a little research for you. I believe a friend saw a simple schematic for a boost pedal to be used in the effects loop, probably on Harmony Central. When you emailed me I thought you were refering to the footswich mod to engage the "pull for gain" feature of the rhythm channel.

You may just need to go with a Recto. :idea:

There are a lot of booster circuits here. For those who've never built stuff, a treble booster is often used as a first project, if that's at all encouraging. Take a look at the Brian May treble booster, for example.

I've already drilled the circuit board for mine. Problem is, it's so small... I can't find it at the moment... :oops:

I found my Hydra Boost on e-bay new in the box for $75.00, most stores have them for around $80-90. And I woulda paid $80-90 for what it does. Just do a search on e-bay, and I'm sure you'll find one.

The EQ in the Loop is your answer. You need to turn the "Mix" all the way up.

The EQ in the Loop is the key, but you need to turn the Mix all the way up, otherwise you will get no satisfaction.

I use a home-made Treble Booster in front of my DC-3 and it works wonders for the Clean channel, but I use so much Gain that it doesn't do much to my Lead channel.

So, I use the Treble Booster for the Clean solos and the built-in EQ for the Lead solos.

the only problem with using the effects loop......the loop is "pre-reverb"....so whenever the loop has a type of boost in it, you're also boosting the reverb.........I've been running my reverb on about 5-6....when you hit the boost (be it EQ or anything else that increases the gain) it sounds like you've turned the reverb on 12.......

so far, I've tried.......both through the front AND through the effects loop:

Semour Duncan Pickup Booster
TS-7 Tube Screamer
Digitech 7 band EQ
Boss EQ
Rockman Compressor/Sustain (LOVE that rack unit :lol: )

Looking at the block diagram the FX loop is post reverb. In fact the only thing beyond the FX loop is the output control. Could this amp have been modded? Since each channel has its own reverb controls it doesn't make sense that the reverb would be beyond the loop. It may be worth a call to Mesa to get their thoughts on this.

I don't know that much about this amp.......I was assuming that because the reverb gets such a boost when I turn on the EQ that it was post loop......Looking inside the amp, it doesn't appear to be moded.....any other explaination ???

easy, turn your reverb down...you could even use a reverb pedal like say the Holy Grail reverb pedal. I don't have the problem you're talking about cause I don't use reverb on the lead channel. Also, the Boss EQ is a good boost pedal in the loop but it is not transparent, it does color the sound, my Hydra Boost does not color the tone.

when I turn the reverb down, where it sounds good with the boost....then there's no reverb when the boost is off *lol*.........going to try running a light delay through the front and turning the reverb off.........

Honestly, if you bought it at GC you should take it back if you do not like it.
It may really need a re-tube as well. You never know what could be going on with it. If you really dont like the fundamental sound, effects are just masking something you are trying to alter or a tone you just do not like.

Latest posts

Back