Gibson Flying V Faded

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
I have a couple V's but not the Faded. The Faded plays good though. I probably wounldn't buy one myself because I like a traditional finish on my Gibsons. Some don't like the Faded simply because it is thought of as a lower series. The 496/500 pickups are nice with the Mark IV. SO there you go. I have tried them. I own other V's. I have the pickups. If you don't mind the Faded finish then it is a great guitar.

You can sit with a V but you have to play it classically or squeeze the upper fin between your elbow and body. I tried squeezing the lower fin between my thighs but friends told me I looked like I had to go to the bathroom so I just play it classically unless I feel like using my elbow.

A real V is a killer guitar to play standing up though. The access to the upper part of the board is insane. Plus they tend to have hot pickups in them straight out of the box. I love my V's though I would still rather own more Les Pauls.

I think I played Les Pauls for too long because it is awkward to play the SG and the rest of my Gibsons including my V's though I get over it. The real throw me for a loop is ask me to play my Strat. Though I used to play Strats and superstrats only I really feel kind of out of place playing one.

I only bought a Strat because I missed that single coil sound and feel. Otherwise, I hate bolt-on necks. I don't mind the middle pickup though because you can get some nice sounds out of it. The neck is great for blues though.

I have found that the Explorer shape is one of the most comfortable to play. I've tried V's, but they're only good standing up. I like them a lot, especially the Jackson KV2 and the Dean Razorback V. BUt, to me, you just can't beat how the Explorer shape leans into you as you play, it's so comfortable. Here's what I mean:
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/MesaENGR412/studiome.jpg
myhands.jpg

-AJH

I dig my Explorer too. I had an Ibanez Destroyer back in the day. That was a great guitar too.

MesaENGR412 said:
I have found that the Explorer shape is one of the most comfortable to play. I've tried V's, but they're only good standing up. I like them a lot, especially the Jackson KV2 and the Dean Razorback V. BUt, to me, you just can't beat how the Explorer shape leans into you as you play, it's so comfortable. Here's what I mean:
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g201/MesaENGR412/studiome.jpg
myhands.jpg

-AJH

Gotta spread them legs kinda like sitting in the air and lean forward a little Papa Het-style

I just saw a Faded V in SD CL for cheap if you are interested. Btw my V's have those pickups. So does my Explorer.

im digging my lp vintage mahogany with the 496/500t set. way more than the stock bb pros.

those came out of an 06 flying v.

btw, hetfield and hammett's flying Vs, during the "kill em all" era...i assume they had the 496/500s?? anyone?

Hammet was using his old V. I don't know what was in there but I would assume that they were stock.

Hetfield's V was a knockoff. It wasn't even Gibson. Who knows what pickups he had.

I recently put a faded ebony 3 pup Gibson V on layaway at Rainbow music here in tucson. Had the same feel as the Cherry ones, but I really love ebony, black, whatever you want to call it on guitars! So I figure that once I get it, Ill have a normal black pickguard made, and try and order a voodoo V truss rod cover. But Im probably going to go with some Seymour Duncans. The SH-13 Dimebucker for the bridge, and a '59 for the neck.

Once that is done, Im on a mission to find a well used black Gibson Explorer, then have it heavily customized. I want to delete the pickguard, route the wood under the pickguard out and have a new solid piece glue in. Then I wan to have the controls reconfigured like the designer series Explorers from gibson from '84; exactly like the controls found the original Gibson Explorer that Mr Hetfield had. Then Ill have the whole thing painted black, but I want to leave the neck raw and stained like the faded ebony. Oh, and I want a red Gibson logo applied to the head stock! .... yeah that guitar will be alot of money, BUT Gibson wont make one like that so I gotta do what I gotta do!

I had a GC in Illinois a few years ago try and get a price quote from Gibson's Custom Shop for this exact guitar I have described. lol, the CS guys rejected it because it altered the Explorer too much. I guess they are still mad about the success that ESP had with their Explorer copy!

Latest posts

Back