Gibson Explorers the same?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jab

Reaction score
Are Explorers made in the past 10 years all virtually identical, or are there different versions made (other than the costmetics). Wondering if electronics, necks, tuners, etc. are all the same. In other words, is buying one 5 years old any different than one off the rack other than the wear & tear?

I don't follow explorers very closely but here's what I know...

Gibson seems to constantly change/rearrange pickup combinations on their guitars and there's a HUGE difference in the sound. That's probably the biggest thing to watch out for. I believe Explorers have been sold with a variety of pickups, typically you will find 496/500 (HOt Ceramic) or Dirty Fingers (Very Hot Alinco), pickup combinations. I'm sure you will find other combinations on custom, special editions or reissues. Dirty fingers were comon in 80s and 496/500 are now standard.

Variation in the wood of the body - Alder, Korina (original standard) or Mahogany (current standard). A few with maple tops - mostly custom or special editions

Tremolo vs. Hard tails - Usually Kahler

Cosmetically, they also have several finish levels which can impact he value quite a bit. "Faded" or "Worn" finishes tend to be a bit thinner and less glossy. They often retailed for quite a bit less because Gibson is able to avoid a few labor intensive finish/sand/polishing steps. No reason to avoid these if the price is right, I have a "faded" Les Paul Studio that I'm really happy with and didn't pay a fortune for.

Watch out for Explorer II's they are laminate body junk from the 80's and not worth much.

Hope that helps.

Gibson Explorers - yes. They made Natural Burst and Natural limited edition finished models in early 2000-2002. Natural models they made more of with gold hardware that I believe you can still get brand new from current production. Also ran a line of standard Explorers (same specs) but with either a Worn Brown finish or Worn Cherry. These are cheaper and you can find them on Ebay from $700-900 depending.
Explorer Pros - maple top, mahogany body and 496r/500t pickup combos. They put these out every so often but typically are more expensive and they are 10% smaller in body than the normal 76 reissues. Ebay finds from $1300-1700 for the limited edition Guitar of the Week and Month models.
Custom Shop Explorers are all mahogany body (like the normal 76 reissues) but with 57 Classic pickups. These run around $3000! Hefty price tag for sure.
Custom Shop Korina Explorers are based off the original 58 models with 57 pickups and run around $6k-9k from Gibson.
They also made a reverse Explorer... look that up! Crazy looking and similar to the Custom Shop model as far as specs with a lighting bolt pickguard and run around $2-3k
Also released a Tribal Explorer recently I believe that has 496/500 pickups, they are white with black tribal and Kahler bridge.
Hope that helps

Its not about the subject but Im wondering is the white pickguard ( generrally white) on the explorer is removable? Can I just remove it and have a complete black explorer or something ugly and unexpected look
awaits under the pickguard?

Yes, its easily removable but there's routing underneath as lailer said. Could always pick up a black pickguard though, I did for my Explorer.

:lol: Over the years, if there's one thing I learned about Gibson:
if it has a pickguard that covers a large area, typically, they top routed the hell out of the body under it.

I love Gibson, own many of them, including Explorers of different years/configurations.
I still never understood the logic of that long top route channel for the toggle switch on a '76 model Explorer.
They seem to have no trouble doing a Les Paul style rear route for the toggle on the maple cap Explorers in the same configuration.

Latest posts

Back